Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
The more powerful upcoming version of the Mach E (GT?) sounds pretty amazing and may give the best of both worlds (for a price, of course!). Enjoying my P8 thoroughly before newer/better EV crossovers come out and make me jealous馃槵 (it's inevitable, of course)

Registered
I read somewhere that the mustang has fake Engine sounds? If so is it an option as in can you turn it off?

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Yes, the Mach-E has a synthesized engine sound, heard only from the cabin, that changes in intensity depending on the driving mode and equivalent 'RPM'. The feature can be turned off entirely.

Registered
Wow 鈥 please someone tell me our P8s are NOT like that.

Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
And, PAAK has been a glitchy and unstable with the MME, which is a problem because Ford only provides one key fob. (And P8 owners complain about not getting 3 key fobs. ) Some Ford dealers are not ready to service the MME.
My MME is BROKEN and UNFIXABLE by Ford

Nevertheless, Motor Trend named it its 2021 EV Car of the Year.

Registered

Registered
It would be nice if they et us customize the sound the car makes when backing up or going forward at low speed. I liek the current backup sound, but the forward sound almost makes the car sound broken.
Forward sound? I must be missing something. What forward sound (other than the fans and a tiny electric motor sound).

Registered
I will listen again, but I know when the wife backs out of the garage I don't hear much from the front of the car until she put it in D, but maybe it is just those normal noises. I know many EVs try and generate noise at low speed to announce themselves to visually impaired people.

Registered
My wife(1) free loves the way the car sings. In reverse there is the beep beep golf cart reversing sound but underneath that there is a complex humming harmonic sound. I am relatively certain it does not make a sound going forward but as I think on this it is baseless as I am always driving. Will have to sept out while one of the wives drives the car so I can hear it :)

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge

Registered
I hear sounds below a certain speed, probably 5 MPH there are two speakers heard, one in the front when driving below that speed and one heard when backing up. Sounds like a Star Trek shuttle craft, sci-fi hum and the friend loves the sonar sound when you reverse!

Registered

Registered
I hear sounds below a certain speed, probably 5 MPH there are two speakers heard, one in the front when driving below that speed and one heard when backing up. Sounds like a Star Trek shuttle craft, sci-fi hum and the friend loves the sonar sound when you reverse!
So the sci sound heard outside at low speed is fake!!! For some reason that makes me sad. I had hoped the cool sound was just the car. Now I need to hear it!!!!

Registered
So the sci sound heard outside at low speed is fake!!! For some reason that makes me sad. I had hoped the cool sound was just the car. Now I need to hear it!!!!
When I exit and lock the car I hear the fans, but the forward noise is different and wish we could change it, but the NHTSA has some specific requirements it looks like, although I was not going to read the full 60+ pages.

Registered
I was wondering about the sound while moving forward at slow speed. Every time I pull into my garage with the windows open, I could hear this sound like a distant, ethereal orchestral drone. Seems this is a real sound effect the car is deliberately playing. Here's a quick & dirty recording i just made while slowly pulling into my garage (very high tech: iPhone taped to grille near front speaker):

Also - here's an interesting article about the XC40 sound design:
Listen to Volvo Turn-Signal Sound鈥擨t's a Stick Being Snapped (caranddriver.com)

Registered
The star ship hum is an odd choice. It does not say there is a 5 ton object moving towards me.

The Ed 209 voice from robo cop would do that. . .

So the sound is only when car is slow? Because 15 mph cars do not hurt whereas 5 mph do?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts