Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
209 Posts
Hopefully it’s software, then we all could benefit.
The author of the article guesses the change may be due to the wheels.
We don't know for sure, but it seems that the smaller 19" wheels as standard, compared to 20" wheels previously and possibly some other improvements boosted the result.
Could be wheels, could be software tweak, or it could be both. I’ve got the 19” wheels and my range seems better than 208. However, I do mostly city/suburban driving and not a lot of highway driving.

Looking at a comparison of the how the base 2022 model is equipped, the 2021 P8 is nicely equipped for the price.

·
Registered
2021 P8
18 Posts
The author of the article guesses the change may be due to the wheels.

Could be wheels, could be software tweak, or it could be both. I’ve got the 19” wheels and my range seems better than 208. However, I do mostly city/suburban driving and not a lot of highway driving.

Looking at a comparison of the how the base 2022 model is equipped, the 2021 P8 is nicely equipped for the price.
Certainly could be. I also have the 19s, even though dealers around here seemed to prefer 20s on the ones they had on the lot. Have only put on about 600 miles, so too soon to tell long-term range for me.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
62 Posts
I suspect it's likely both wheels and software. I have 19" wheels with 1,500 miles averaging 230-250 mile range -- mostly suburban driving with little high-speed highway.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Wheels/tires do have an impact:

But that said, as much as I wanted the 19s I love the 20s and at first I liked the 20s on the wife's T5 better, but the P8 20s actually make the car look classier I think.

·
Registered
609 Posts
  • 7% claimed improvement is quite a jump - to everyone's point, what parameters were they using as a baseline ?
  • The only "regret" I have so far is going from the initial 19" (custom order at that time) to 20" from the Lot strictly due to my zero patience. With ~30% difference I'm sure it's even more comfortable and quieter.....and lighter.....

At the end, it's 1st world problem - LOVE Orka !

·
Registered
967 Posts
I know the 19s may have performed better, but the 20s drive well and look awesome. I was in the same position hoping for 19s, but glad I have the 20s. In the video there was a substantial jump in the Tesla from 18-20 lost 15%, so it is not unrealistic to think the 7% increase is the going from 20 to19 inch wheels/tires. Depending on how you drive and what you needs are the 20s in retrospect are worth it since I have been getting better efficiency than expected. My biggest concern is not having the brake issue sI am having so I can enjoy the car. It has been a teast4-6 weeks of pure fun followed by 1-2 weeks of grief.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What are the minimum rim (and accompanying tire) dimensions usable? I don't know if 18s would be too small for the brakes, but obviously light 19s would work. The size offset obviously complicates things too. The car is my wife's and she commutes about 50 miles each way per day, so all is well but we do have a little winter anxiety and putting a set of more efficient wheels on for the winter (and saving the pricey tires) would be nice.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
111 Posts
What are the minimum rim (and accompanying tire) dimensions usable? I don't know if 18s would be too small for the brakes, but obviously light 19s would work. The size offset obviously complicates things too. The car is my wife's and she commutes about 50 miles each way per day, so all is well but we do have a little winter anxiety and putting a set of more efficient wheels on for the winter (and saving the pricey tires) would be nice.
My Volvo sales rep mentioned 19" as smallest rim that could fit over the large brake disk since I was hoping to use my 18" rims off my XC60 that I traded in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wonder if you could fit the 255x45x19's on the front, getting rid of the staggered setup. Would make finding tires and rims easier.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I wonder if you could fit the 255x45x19's on the front, getting rid of the staggered setup. Would make finding tires and rims easier.
I was told 19 is the smallest rim. Shop foreman at my dealer says that the 255 on the wider wheels won't fit at full lock (interaction with suspension parts). Once I take delivery of mine I will check how the 235 55 19 from my xc90 fit. The offset on the 40 are 50.5mm vs the 43 on the 90. The diameter of the 235 55 may be too large. A staggered setup on 225 55, 245 50 is a bit larger than the 235 50, 250 45. I am still trying to figure out what we will do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts