Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Had a similar incident backing out of my son's driveway onto road that had tall grass on other side, I was sure I had hit something in the grass and got out to check but only grass, nice to know that rear braking is that effective and thanks to these postings I now know what caused it.
With regards to lane assist I find this car acts the same as my previous XC60 which initially I found rather frightening since it was always unexpected. So I just practised it whiled driving down an empty road and crossing the centre/side line and found that it was very easy to manage/overcome when you are expecting it and now I get ready at places where I think it might happen such as off ramps.
THIS finally happened to me today. Some tall grass platings near the edge of my driveway bent over from the rain. Cameras picked it up but knowing it was just grass, I continued to back and bang brakes slammed. Seriously like hitting a wall. Thanks Volvo for ramping up my heart rate this morning!!!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
THIS finally happened to me today. Some tall grass platings near the edge of my driveway bent over from the rain. Cameras picked it up but knowing it was just grass, I continued to back and bang brakes slammed. Seriously like hitting a wall. Thanks Volvo for ramping up my heart rate this morning!!!
Ouch. Not a fun way to start the day.

Did you take pictures? Try it out again see if it is consistent fail? Send the pictures to Volvo so they can fix it?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
414 Posts
Ouch. Not a fun way to start the day.

Did you take pictures? Try it out again see if it is consistent fail? Send the pictures to Volvo so they can fix it?
It is not a fail, the emergency brakes came on to stop him from hitting the grass, the car just didn't know it was only soft grass the he knew he could back into.

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
It is not a fail, the emergency brakes came on to stop him from hitting the grass, the car just didn't know it was only soft grass the he knew he could back into.
Now if it was mosquitos it would make total sense.
Margo (my cars named After character in the magicians) why did you emergency stop?
Because I saw mosquitos. Do we have a problem with this.
No ….

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I wish there were none. I have a large allergic reaction to their bites so I get to wear my big suit when I go out in parks in Seattle. Ooh I look special :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now if it was mosquitos it would make total sense.
Margo (my cars named After character in the magicians) why did you emergency stop?
Because I saw mosquitos. Do we have a problem with this.
No ….
@SeattleCat
Catching up little late in the game...

May be Margo s murmuring inside... "If you had backed out slowly, I might have enough time to sense it.. It is pretty quick and I don't want you to land in danger" :LOL::LOL:

FYI.. I used to have the same issue when I park into my garage (I do reverse park).. But if I slow down and enter in, it goes smoothly. No brakes and no quick accel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have to turn my car as I back into my garage and have been experiencing the same issue for the past several weeks (but not previously, and I've had the vehicle for 7 months)
Glad to know I'm not alone!

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
I park this Car slower than I have ever parked. I used to like zipping in maybe seeing how fast I could park … with Margo i luxuriate in how amazingly slow she can go … I swear sometimes spouse1 looks at me wondering (in a friendly way) why I am parking so slowly :) but EVs or at least Margo can go agonizingly slow :)

·
Registered
826 Posts
I happened to me in a unique scenario.
We have a 2 door garage at our house. I always drive into the garage without issues.
I had to back up into the garage yesterday morning, no obstacles. When I was close to the garage entrance I felt a hard jolt and the car stopped. My heart stopped too as I thought I hit the garage door side. When I got out I nowhere close to the edges. The only thing I can think of was that the garage was dark and it was bright outside.
I’m glad the system works, it just scared the $hit out of me.

·
Registered
White P8 aka ORKA * OTA V2.0 * MFD 1/21 * 20" ride.
989 Posts
To echo everyone's observation, I found that the key is to s-l-o-w-l-y drive into the garage (For me, simply due to how tight the garage is to begin with - that's when the 360 camera comes in handy).

For me, what totally catches me off-guard is during my drive to work.....going down a straight lane.... at one section there's a SLIGHT curve to the right.....exactly where the curve occurs, the road also forks to the left for turning cars.
Well....as a Car veers left for the turn, and I veer right, the ALARM comes on thinking I was going to hit the car which had slowed down for the turn. I'm assuming its thinking "hey car in front is slowing down, and you're not...." -- So my peaceful commute gets a JOLT of the ALARM scare -- My solution ? When down the same stretch, I stay on the right lane (2-lane road). I love how the warnings DO work, but something a false indicator which are indeed exceptions.

However, the Subaru doesn't seem to do so with the same situation above. Perhaps Volvos are more sensitive ?

·
Registered
3,778 Posts
To echo everyone's observation, I found that the key is to s-l-o-w-l-y drive into the garage (For me, simply due to how tight the garage is to begin with - that's when the 360 camera comes in handy).

For me, what totally catches me off-guard is during my drive to work.....going down a straight lane.... at one section there's a SLIGHT curve to the right.....exactly where the curve occurs, the road also forks to the left for turning cars.
Well....as a Car veers left for the turn, and I veer right, the ALARM comes on thinking I was going to hit the car which had slowed down for the turn. I'm assuming its thinking "hey car in front is slowing down, and you're not...." -- So my peaceful commute gets a JOLT of the ALARM scare -- My solution ? When down the same stretch, I stay on the right lane (2-lane road). I love how the warnings DO work, but something a false indicator which are indeed exceptions.

However, the Subaru doesn't seem to do so with the same situation above. Perhaps Volvos are more sensitive ?
Is there anyway to film where it happens and send to Volvo? Not sure if Volvo is even set up to receive input like that. Ideally the car would record every emergency stop and upload that data itself to Volvo for a yes no why analysis.

Oh well dream world back to reality. Nice job finding a work around :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have just gotten in the habit of shutting this feature off when I back into the garage. I have gotten my wife into the same routine, because it has happened to both of us with both of our XC40's. And we both almost had heart attacks because we thought we hit something. I really wish there was a feature to disable this when the car recognizes that you are "home". We have mats down on our garage floor for winter muck, so the sensors act like I'm about to hit something every time I back into the garage.......so it would most likely activate every time I back into the garage. It's less annoying to turn it off as soon as I put it into reverse instead of this system activating all the time.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
496 Posts
Now, if we could only fool it into thinking our garage is an automatic car wash in disguise. ;)

Updates in software version 1.7
  • Adjusted sensitivity of Rear Automatic Braking (RAB) to reduce risk of activation in automatic car washes.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Is there anyway to film where it happens and send to Volvo? Not sure if Volvo is even set up to receive input like that. Ideally the car would record every emergency stop and upload that data itself to Volvo for a yes no why analysis.

Oh well dream world back to reality. Nice job finding a work around :)
OH ! I'm sure the immediate response... "....next software upgrade will do it...."

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have just gotten in the habit of shutting this feature off when I back into the garage. I have gotten my wife into the same routine, because it has happened to both of us with both of our XC40's. And we both almost had heart attacks because we thought we hit something. I really wish there was a feature to disable this when the car recognizes that you are "home". We have mats down on our garage floor for winter muck, so the sensors act like I'm about to hit something every time I back into the garage.......so it would most likely activate every time I back into the garage. It's less annoying to turn it off as soon as I put it into reverse instead of this system activating all the time.
Is it fair to assume most of use use the HomeLink (or whatever it's called) to open and shut the garage ?
If so, it would be nice to have a logic whereby whenever it's pressed (regardless opening or closing), it would automatically switch off the hear-attack brakings....... HHmmmm

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,104 Posts
I really wish there was a feature to disable this when the car recognizes that you are "home".
Such a "geo-fencing" feature would need to be pretty precise, eg only "inside" the garage. I don't think you really want to disable this important feature when you are backing out of your driveway - unfortunately that's one of the main places where people accidentally run over their kids, bikes, pets, etc.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Such a "geo-fencing" feature would need to be pretty precise, eg only "inside" the garage. I don't think you really want to disable this important feature when you are backing out of your driveway - unfortunately that's one of the main places where people accidentally run over their kids, bikes, pets, etc.
I see your point, so it would be nice if this was something you could turn on/off for the geofence. Tesla does this on several of their features.

We actually back into our garage 100% of the time and we have both had the rear braking activate when we were still on the street. It has detected the curb and activated, even though we had a lot of space still.

And this is why we both just deactivate this system as soon we put the cars in reverse in the street.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts