Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time using one of their chargers today. Dang...that was fast! I am used to using EVgo for my fast charging, but the EA was blazing. The numbers on the display of my car were higher than I had ever seen. I was thinking...am I about to blow this thing up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First time using one of their chargers today. Dang...that was fast! I am used to using EVgo for my fast charging, but the EA was blazing. The numbers on the display of my car were higher than I had ever seen. I was thinking...am I about to blow this thing up?
I did my first EA fast charging today, but after some trouble getting it to start, I only got 56kWh at one station and 67kWh at another. But I do hear and see (on YouTube) that they are really fast. I hope next time I get a fast one.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
How fast is dependent on the charge level of your car.
Once you pass about 70 EVgo and EA are the same.

Going from 10 to 70 though is amazing on EA :)
It is also nice now that all EA station types work with our P8s.

I felt confident doing a long trip relying on EA stations. Only down side … I got real fed up of being in Walmart car parks :)

Happy charging our in the wild.

Reactions: Clocky

·
Registered
170 Posts

This has been shared before, and I'm not 100% sure it is still valid (some updates earlier this year might have made charging faster). As you can see here somewhere around 60-70% SOC you're down to 50-75kW -- so yes at that point a 50kW EVgo charger wont benefit you. But as @SeattleCat mentioned -- if you are charging from 10% to 70% there is some great speed to be had. I think 150kW speeds are actually held closer to 40% or higher now but I haven't really "logged" it -- (we have ~7,000 US miles on our P8 and have visited 12+ EA chargers in the last 3 months)

One thing to be "aware of" is that not all chargers are perfect. Where charging Tesla vehicles in the past has been 99% reliable for us, I have not found that to be the case with the Electrify America chargers. One stop we found that 2x units were offline, and the first unit didn't want to start. Luckily, the 4th unit (2nd one we tried that was "on") worked fine.

More recently, while in Cambridge, Ohio -- we visited the charger there. First charger we plugged into only got around 45kW charging speed, second unit around 65kW charging speed. But we were only at 15% SOC so I knew better and realized I should be getting much faster speeds. Moved to the 3rd of the towers and it jumped to ~140kW and held over 100kW for a while -- again showing that there was clearly something inherently wrong with those towers. I did not have time to call EA, but I did use PlugShare to log my experience, as I know they monitor those and hopefully will address it. YRMV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Something about this reminds me of the days of trying to find the local ISP that could sustain the fastest dial-up internet.

• Haha
Reactions: arijaycomet

·
Registered
270 Posts
There's a long way to go before the CCS network matches Tesla's. Having six CCS docks to choose from at a given location in the best of cases, is nothing compared to Supercharger sites that may have 70 stalls. Even the little things like a sunshade over the charging stations makes a big difference in comfort and appeal. I'm hoping most of that $7.5 billion just allocated for public EV charging goes to improve the CCS network - though since Tesla is planning to open its superchargers to CCS vehicles soon, with supplied adapter, they will be eligible too.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
One EA station on our trip was completely down. Which I found out one station at a time + phone call. Alas this was the final charge station on what would of been a 12 hour drive which ended up making it a 14 hour drive :(. Lucky it was in a place which had many other options around vs one of the locations that have nothing for a long way. But one big fail in about 30 hours of hard in effecient driving :)

I do hope Tesla lets us hop on board. Don’t really care about the price. Won’t use it as prime but would love to have it as backup.

• Sad
Reactions: DeaneG
1 - 8 of 8 Posts