Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping there would be a native in-dash app from Electrify America for our cars, but got this response from EA:

Hello, Deane.
馃憢
At this time, there are no plans to release a native app for the Volvo XC40 or Polestar 2. Your feedback has been shared with our team for review. Thank you! -NF

Registered
I mean they do such a good job on the handshake with the car that you never even need to hit payment info after first use (and they have an NFC phone or card option) that combined with ChargePoint finding them as well means that I can see the reason why they're not bothering with Andriod Automotive licensing

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Chargepoint app can't show EA's charger's actual availability. Nor does Google Maps. Have to get out the phone and EA's app for that. Also for me it's just a bother having to get my phone out for EA payment after handling the grubby charger cable. I'd rather get back in the car, wipe my hands, and use the car's dash app.

Registered
Google has gone on record in saying that they plan to implement more EV driving experiences into Google Maps. At this point I really don't personally see any benefits to having an app versus just having Google Maps filter. And with the latest update (credit card icon) you can filter by brand. You can also filter by DC fast (50kW+) though I wish that was more granular, like a slider bar (ex: PlugShare's app).

At the end of the day, the only real benefit of the EA app in the car would be the ability to start a charge upon arrival, avoiding having to use your phone/app or RFID/NFC cards. This definitely has an advantage, but I suspect we'll see the ISO-standard plug-and-charge adopted faster than an app be written for a very small number of vehicles. Sales of the XC40 Recharge (and Polestar 2) are limited, so the authors of such an app have a rather small audience, to justify the time.

FWIW, if you have an Apple Watch (or similar device), the RFID reader on the EA stations works GREAT. I've managed to plug in, double click the button on my watch, swipe Touchless to the tower, and get back in my car-- watching the charge start within < 60 seconds from arrival tot he tower. While this isn't quite Tesla-levels of speed, it is adequate, and the only thing I had to touch was the charging handle. (we travel with cleaning/disinfectant wipes for our longer trips, for those who want to avoid germs)

PS: if you are taking a trip, and can use just EA chargers, spend the $4/mo for the lower rates-- you'll more than pay for it by the 2nd charging stop typically. If you are in the USA and can use just EA chargers, they tend to work better (150kW always, if your temp/SOC allows) whereas ChargePoint/etc are normally 50kW max (with fewer exceptions, at least in the midwest; YRMV).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If Google maps could show EA charger availability rather than just presence, it would be pretty useful. They do show for Chargepoint and EVgo. For now I just pay with the phone's NFC but I'd rather not wear a watch or take the phone out of my pocket. First world problems I guess.

Registered
I just messaged EA to ask if they could at least supply realtime availability data to Google Maps like their competitors already do.
Something tells me this is just a matter of EA offering some sort of token-auth to let Google pull data down off their site. They could compile this data from the web but having a sort of authorized side-load "easy access" would make it work. This is what I assume EV-go and CP are offering Google; it is only a matter of time before EA does. It would be in EA's best interest obviously since they want to drive traffic there. It already shows the # of stations, and their layout of ports/kW -- so it seems like it'd be fairly easy to add real-time data. I hope it is coming; let us know what you learn!

Registered
PS -- @DeaneG -- where in the USA do you live? We are in Ohio -- we've driven all over this area, as far as Tennessee using the EA network exclusively (not even bothering with EV go or ChargePoint). We have a trip to Savannah GA later this year where we'll also use the EA network. In my findings thus far the stations are always below 50% capacity and always have at least 2 available working towers. I've been to stations where 0% capacity, 1 or 2 of the 4-6 towers are offline. But again, we've had good throughput. Making the "availability" aspect not (yet) applicable to us. As more EVs are sold, and more non-Tesla DC fast charging demand occurs, this may change. But for now, I don't even need to look; I always know I'll be ok (based on past experiences)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I also asked EA if they could at least share realtime charging station availability with Google maps, as does Chargepoint and EVGo; they didn't seem too interested but thanked me for taking the time to mention this.

Registered
I wonder how things will change when/if Tesla opens up to everyone else especially IF they do it seamlessly.

Competition is good.

Registered
I did have an adapter for the level 2s but I gave up on it as there are so many non Tesla level 3s around. I will get a level 3 adapter when Tesla opens up for them :)

How well does your adapter work? I was a little freaked by the fact they were only their party 鈥 I hope there is an official one when it happens.

Reactions: revpixel

Registered
I did have an adapter for the level 2s but I gave up on it as there are so many non Tesla level 3s around. I will get a level 3 adapter when Tesla opens up for them :)

How well does your adapter work? I was a little freaked by the fact they were only their party 鈥 I hope there is an official one when it happens.
Works..well..only,used it twice tho.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts