Volvo XC40 Forum banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you scroll back to read my prior posts you'll see why this is an issue for me. Not sure where you live (I see what appears to be a USA flag but no city/state listed) -- I am in Cleveland, Ohio. 99% of the chargers near here are SIGNET, which means ALL of those will fail. I've had EVs for over a decade, including a Porsche Taycan, Audi eTron SUV etc -- so I have experience with 50kW and 150kW and 350kW DC fast chargers around the "Great Lakes/Midwest" region, as well as Tesla Superchargers.

For example:
Our trip tomorrow, there are 2x EA chargers (150-350kW) in the Pittsburgh PA area we will pass. One is SIGNET the other is not. I'll stop at both, because I want to "test" the SIGNET charger. But based on past experiences with the XC40 over last few weeks, I have a 50% sense of it working. We'll see.

But as another example:
End of June we have a 500+ mile (each way) trip down to Gatlinburg TN. There are ~7 chargers on the way, of which ALL of them are SIGNET (save for one). So that means 95% of the chargers probably wont work.

Again, I'm fully aware that SIGNET chargers are the only ones that don't work -- this has been stated in my prior replies. But sadly, for my location, MOST of the nearby chargers are SIGNETs. This is very upsetting to have bought (leased) a $60k car that has ample charging for our trips (range isnt great, efficiency isnt great, but its "feasible") -- but, if the EA/SIGNET combo chargers dont work, it makes our car completely unable to make the drive. (We cannot turn a 10 hour drive in a 3 day trip, that would be only way at Level 2, but that is not a reasonable option).

PS: We can make the trip tomorrow heading EAST without needing to use SIGNET chargers (but I'll stop/test one along way). We sadly can NOT make the trip SOUTH to TN in a few weeks because there are spots where there are NO DC chargers EXCEPT for SIGNET EA units -- hence the problem for me :(
Ah... so sad to hear. I don't know who doesn't follow the protocol, but hope EA found the root cause and fix it soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Ah... so sad to hear. I don't know who doesn't follow the protocol, but hope EA found the root cause and fix it soon.
Thank you! From what I've been told, it is the burden of the manufacturer (in this case Volvo) to supply a test vehicle to EA. At that point EA will make sure it works, and recommend any changes to the mfg if needed. Since EA is clearly working with ChargePoint ($500 credit etc) I think they really aren't too worried about EA. But that sucks for people near my area who need the EA chargers to work, grrrr!!! Fingers crossed they fix it soon.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Electrify America charging UPDATE!!

Yesterday was our 600+ mile round trip (I forgot to screen shot the TripAuto but it was ~625 miles and ~38.5 kWh/100mi which is not bad considering 10.5+ hours of driving and 75 MPH cruise set most of the time). Mistakenly I had thought one of the two Pittsburgh PA chargers (EA) was a SIGNET but it turns out they were not. BUT…

On our way home I remembered that we’d be not far from the Youngstown, Ohio area one that is SIGNET. I didn’t check the sticker but others can cross-verify based on images, this should be one of the “bad ones“ here:

Sheetz at 2721 Salt Springs Road, Girard, Ohio, 44420, US
PlugShare - Find Electric Vehicle Charging Locations Near You

When we had charged our XC40 P8 at the Mansfield, Ohio charger it failed. I called Tech support, they rebooted it, and then we started the charge from the phone app (instead of RFID/watch). This worked. Then a week or so later we did the same at the Mentor, Ohio charger, also with the same results (no reboot needed). Finally, this trip yesterday, I once again plugged in first, then looked at stall # and started from the EA app.

For whatever it may be worth:
1- I have an EA account and pay the monthly fee for the reduced rates (because we have enough travel plans this summer that the saving will be justified)
2- Yesterday’s plug-in was at the 350 kW stall, although clearly 150kW max on our cars … I think this was also the case when charging in Mentor - not by choice, didn’t really pay attention just plugged into whatever stall i pulled up to LOL

For those of you who have EA SIGNET chargers nearby to your home… I’d really love to see if you could recreate a more positive result (if you’ve had failures before) by doing this:
1- if you don’t already have one, create an Electrify America account (free should be fine)
2- install the app on your smart phone
3- visit the charger, plug the cable into car, and then start charge from app
(read: do not at any point touch the screen of the charging stall whatsoever)

This has been what has worked for me at 3x chargers. Which gives me hope! That said… we have a BIG trip end of month—- so I’m still worried but probably going to “give it a go!” To make that journey in the XC40 at what are almost ALL going to be EA SIGNET chargers. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good luck with the trip. Electrify America is the one I use most as well.

I think EA needs to have a regularly scheduled device reboot for a while until they are more stable and even when stable.

I have only seen one complex device that does not need re booting to stay stable (and I have a feeling that device has a self maintenance schedule that includes a re boot) no device should be expected to work without a magic rebooting nap :)

Imagine being on a space station using technology at the level we are at.

Still regular reboots go a long way towards making things work more consistently.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alright I have a positive report. Several of us have experienced charging failures in the past at the Allentown, PA EA station. Both Volvo and EA have previously confirmed to me that the station was incompatible with the XC40. I had a trip by there today and dropped in, this time it worked like a charm! I was surprised. Also, the new (1 week old) EA station at Plymouth Meeting Mall northwest of Philly also works great with the XC40. Both are Signet stations, with the black sides and side handles. Plate photos attached.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Huzzah thanks for the info. That is wonderful as EA is the biggest supplier of car shaped electricity in my area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alright I have a positive report. Several of us have experienced charging failures in the past at the Allentown, PA EA station. Both Volvo and EA have previously confirmed to me that the station was incompatible with the XC40. I had a trip by there today and dropped in, this time it worked like a charm! I was surprised. Also, the new (1 week old) EA station at Plymouth Meeting Mall northeast of Philly also works great with the XC40. Both are Signet stations, with the black sides and side handles. Plate photos attached.
For reference sake can you explain how you started the charge? I ask because I have used the app to start the charge as follows:
1- Plug the car into the terminal
2- Open the app, selection location & correct unit (example: -02) and swipe-to-start

Did you use this method? OR did you use on-screen charging? Did you use a credit card, or an EA account? RFID? Etc… any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For reference sake can you explain how you started the charge? I ask because I have used the app to start the charge as follows:
1- Plug the car into the terminal
2- Open the app, selection location & correct unit (example: -02) and swipe-to-start

Did you use this method? OR did you use on-screen charging? Did you use a credit card, or an EA account? RFID? Etc… any feedback is appreciated.
I plugged in the car first, then tapped my iPhone to the RFID scanner which used Apple Wallet to pay for the charge using my EA account. Didn’t use the screen interface.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I plugged in the car first, then tapped my iPhone to the RFID scanner which used Apple Wallet to pay for the charge using my EA account. Didn’t use the screen interface.
According to a phone call I had with the EA rep a few weeks ago, they have seen better reliability using the app to start the charge on Polestar2/XC40 cars (or at least that was impression I got). They told me to not use screen -nor- use the RFID but instead open app, slider to start charge. But what you did is what I'd prefer (and how I work at ChargePoint where the RFID auto selects the CP card stored in Apple Wallet). Thanks for your feedback!

We have our big trip in June where almost all the charging we'll do is going to be EA network + SIGNET stations = possible worry. But given the positive results you had, and we've had at other spots, we're giving it a shot! Thx again for the reply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to a phone call I had with the EA rep a few weeks ago, they have seen better reliability using the app to start the charge on Polestar2/XC40 cars (or at least that was impression I got). They told me to not use screen -nor- use the RFID but instead open app, slider to start charge. But what you did is what I'd prefer (and how I work at ChargePoint where the RFID auto selects the CP card stored in Apple Wallet). Thanks for your feedback!

We have our big trip in June where almost all the charging we'll do is going to be EA network + SIGNET stations = possible worry. But given the positive results you had, and we've had at other spots, we're giving it a shot! Thx again for the reply.
I hope they work for me. I begin a cross country trip on Sunday from PA to San Francisco. Charging at EA network all the way.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I hope they work for me. I begin a cross country trip on Sunday from PA to San Francisco. Charging at EA network all the way.
I'd be curious to know if you have "pre-gamed" the chargers on PlugShare and tried to determine if any of them are SIGNET units? I'm in Northern Ohio (Cleveland) and can tell you the Mentor location is, but worked for me. Even if you're driving via the southern route, I am fairly certain the Columbus charger is SIGNET.

Either way, please do share what you find out. It is fairly easy to identify the SIGNET units (for me, the 45-degree angle of the check/RFID scanner is the "tell" that you can see easily in PlugShare photos). Good luck, safe travels!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd be curious to know if you have "pre-gamed" the chargers on PlugShare and tried to determine if any of them are SIGNET units? I'm in Northern Ohio (Cleveland) and can tell you the Mentor location is, but worked for me. Even if you're driving via the southern route, I am fairly certain the Columbus charger is SIGNET.

Either way, please do share what you find out. It is fairly easy to identify the SIGNET units (for me, the 45-degree angle of the check/RFID scanner is the "tell" that you can see easily in PlugShare photos). Good luck, safe travels!
I always check in in the Plug share. In Seattle area, there's other XC40 owner who also check in.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I have completed some successful test runs to EA Signet stations off I-80 and off I-81 in PA connecting with my EA account on my iPhone. I will contact EA customer service if I have problems along the way.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts