Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would share a a couple of efficiency numbers. I have a 24 mile round trip that I take fairly often. It involves some local streets (40 MPH speed limit), a fair amount of highway (people race this stretch so I drive it at 70 MPH) and some more reasonable highway at 60 MPH.

My normal efficiency is about 34.5 to 35.5 kWh/100 miles.

Today, I installed my trailer hitch mounted bike carrier and loaded up my bike. Driving the same route with the bicycle netted me 43.0 kWh/100 miles. It was also colder so the heat pump might have been running but the range optimizer app did not show a significant increase in the climate usage.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
190 Posts
I thought I would share a a couple of efficiency numbers. I have a 24 mile round trip that I take fairly often. It involves some local streets (40 MPH speed limit), a fair amount of highway (people race this stretch so I drive it at 70 MPH) and some more reasonable highway at 60 MPH.

Today, I installed my trailer hitch mounted bike carrier and loaded up my bike. Driving the same route with the bicycle netted me 43.0 kWh/100 miles. It was also colder so the heat pump might have been running but the range optimizer app did not show a significant increase in the climate usage.
Your normal efficiency is ~35 kWh/100 mi.? Mine is always 30-32 depending how many times I swoosh from green lights. If I eggshell the accelerator, I can get below 30, but that's difficult to maintain.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My route is not your route. I don't think that you can make any legitimate comparisons of my efficiency to yours. It's only valid to compare the efficiency of the same car on the same route with and without the bicycle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My route is not your route. I don't think that you can make any legitimate comparisons of my efficiency to yours. It's only valid to compare the efficiency of the same car on the same route with and without the bicycle.
Of course, not exact, but sounds similar to my typical 20-40 mile routes, which are also a mix of 35/45 mph and 65 mph segments. I assumed your normal was w/o the bike. I also assume you got the OEM trailer hitch from Volvo? I don't think there are any third party available yet. I'm looking to get one too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My route is pretty hilly. The low is the wetlands around the Missouri River and the high points are significantly above that.

Yes, I normally drive without the bike and without the bike carrier.

Yes, I have the Volvo trailer hitch. Here is a trailer hitch which ought to fit the XC40. 2021 Volvo XC40 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com I presume that it will also fit the XC40 Recharge but don't know for sure.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yes, those hills will kill efficiency -- fortunately, I don't have to deal with that. Thanks for the lead on the hitch. I should think it would fit, but will research it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My route is pretty hilly. The low is the wetlands around the Missouri River and the high points are significantly above that.

Yes, I have the Volvo trailer hitch. Here is a trailer hitch which ought to fit the XC40. 2021 Volvo XC40 Trailer Hitch | etrailer.com I presume that it will also fit the XC40 Recharge but don't know for sure.
I just installed this hitch on a 2022 p8. Fits perfectly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. The video link on etrailers was pretty accurate. The only thing we encountered different is there are two small foam blocks on top of bumper in my model that wasn’t in video and when you install hitch they didn’t fit back into place perfectly so I trimmed it a little.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I’d blame most of that on the heat pump. We had temps in the low-50s this week and ran it for the first time. Efficiency tanked from 33 to 42. Was shocked. I thought heat pump was supposed to be more efficient…. Wonder how bad it will be when temps fall into the teens.

·
Registered
190 Posts

azemon, thanks again for the tip on the hitch. Looks like a great deal -- I just ordered one.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We have a rooftop bike rack that normally goes on our other car.

I recently got a set of crossbars for my 2020 V60. According to the manual, they also fit the XC40 (no other model listed as compatible — what luck!). At some point I’ll have to see what bars and 2 bikes atop does to the Recharge’s mileage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was wondering about that. Any tips on the best way to remove the clips and trim would be greatly appreciated.
I used these mostly to pull back where my fingers couldn’t fit to see where fastener was an then pull right where it is. Slow methodical. Foam blocks were held in with fasteners to which you can use a long flat blade to push in pins to remove.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used these mostly to pull back where my fingers couldn’t fit to see where fastener was an then pull right where it is. Slow methodical. Foam blocks were held in with fasteners to which you can use a long flat blade to push in pins to remove.
@Rusty Shackleford , I rang etrailer and they told me "not yet we'll call you", for the 2022 electric model. Can you tell me how you dealt with the flat horizontal panel that covers where the muffler is on the ICE vehicle? I assume you have to cut holes for the the hitch to come through that?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Yes, those hills will kill efficiency -- fortunately, I don't have to deal with that. Thanks for the lead on the hitch. I should think it would fit, but will research it.
From my trips I found that hills effect ev effeciency a lot less than ice (though this is comparing apples to steak).

Sure going up the hill uses more power but coming down can be pure regen city. It is possible to see your % go up during the down leg of a hill (this does not mean you got a whole %).

Going up and down whilst egg shelling the throttle seemed to be more efficient than being inefficient on the flat.

So hard to get pure apple to apple comparisons in the real world. Even the same car on same route has many factors that can change between a journey. Yay for averages and statistics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Rusty Shackleford , I rang etrailer and they told me "not yet we'll call you", for the 2022 electric model. Can you tell me how you dealt with the flat horizontal panel that covers where the muffler is on the ICE vehicle? I assume you have to cut holes for the the hitch to come through that?
Yeah similar to ice model. Cut a hole with a Dremel tool then sanded edge.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Not to hijack your thread but where do I get the range optimizer app?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts