Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the post office today. Wife took the key inside with her as the PO Box key was on that key ring. The dashboard said "No key present" or something like that. She came back, got in the passenger seat and off we went. Drove several blocks to our next stop. She got out and the dashboard again said "no key present". She got back in..... still no key present. She had left it hanging in the post office box lock. So...... we had to hike all the way back to the Post Office to find our key. I mean..... WTH????? Seems like a flaw to let you drive off keyless only to leave you stranded at your next destination.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That's interesting! When mine says "No Key Present" (eventhough it hasn't been moved in any manner, but when a passenger hops off it somehow triggers that message, twice already - just strange), it will NOT allow me to move the Car in any gear. So I'm surprised EVEN with that message you could drive off !

I could be wrong, but if you're in the Car and say purposefully leave the key behind, supposedly the Car continues to drive. BUT once you get off the seat, that's when you'll be stranded. Or maybe that's for another EV I've seen on YouTube ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
All recent cars I have had you must have the fob when starting. But once started you can leave the fob behind and you're good until you shut it off. Once you need to restart you require the fob. This goes with ICE cars as well.

·
Registered
609 Posts
All recent cars I have had you must have the fob when starting. But once started you can leave the fob behind and you're good until you shut it off. Once you need to restart you require the fob. This goes with ICE cars as well.
Interestingly enough in both occurrences, I was still in the Car on drivers side while passenger hops off before car goes into garage (way too tight in there) - both times, even though the key fob was with me when the passneger had hopped off, the message "Key Not Present" came on.....and it wouldn't allow me to change to any gear. Perhaps because I've hit "Park" it woudn't let me do it, but if I just apply brakes only, it may have allowed to continue on into the garage ? Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's interesting! When mine says "No Key Present" (eventhough it hasn't been moved in any manner, but when a passenger hops off it somehow triggers that message, twice already - just strange), it will NOT allow me to move the Car in any gear. So I'm surprised EVEN with that message you could drive off !

I could be wrong, but if you're in the Car and say purposefully leave the key behind, supposedly the Car continues to drive. BUT once you get off the seat, that's when you'll be stranded. Or maybe that's for another EV I've seen on YouTube ?

Yeah, it was strange. I never left the driver's seat. Had it in park at the post office. I guess it was the Park at the second destination that set us up for a mile long hike in 95 degree heat and humidity....

·
Registered
172 Posts
Interestingly enough in both occurrences, I was still in the Car on drivers side while passenger hops off before car goes into garage (way too tight in there) - both times, even though the key fob was with me when the passneger had hopped off, the message "Key Not Present" came on.....and it wouldn't allow me to change to any gear. Perhaps because I've hit "Park" it woudn't let me do it, but if I just apply brakes only, it may have allowed to continue on into the garage ? Hmmmm.....
As far as I can tell the car does not go out of "ready state" (turn OFF) until the "butt sensor" feels you having left the seat and/or opened the door. In the case of our Tesla experiences this works the same way. As others noted above, I've had gas cars where my wife would have the key/passenger seat, I'd get the same key warning. As long the car was already "running" it'd let you continue. It was not until the next "on/start" sequence this becomes an issue. So your experience is "as intended" by the mfg and perfectly normal. But its nice because it warns you that you basically wont be able to re-start the car, as the key is now gone. So had you turned OFF the car, after leaving the post office, at an alt location, then you'd have been fubar!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As far as I can tell the car does not go out of "ready state" (turn OFF) until the "butt sensor" feels you having left the seat and/or opened the door. In the case of our Tesla experiences this works the same way. As others noted above, I've had gas cars where my wife would have the key/passenger seat, I'd get the same key warning. As long the car was already "running" it'd let you continue. It was not until the next "on/start" sequence this becomes an issue. So your experience is "as intended" by the mfg and perfectly normal. But its nice because it warns you that you basically wont be able to re-start the car, as the key is now gone. So had you turned OFF the car, after leaving the post office, at an alt location, then you'd have been fubar!
Yep. That's exactly what happened. I never left the driver's seat.
But there was no going anywhere after the second stop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts