Volvo XC40 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only strange thing I've noticed is that the intermittent wipers go faster and faster until they are way too fast for the conditions. If I turn them off, then on, they'll reset and work properly. For awhile.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The only strange thing I've noticed is that the intermittent wipers go faster and faster until they are way too fast for the conditions. If I turn them off, then on, they'll reset and work properly. For awhile.

Same here.. Annoying.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...here's what I've noticed some time ago and has left me baffled about, since.

I've driven the car under normal rainy weather often but, in mid-December, the weather was really bad around here, on account of a heavy storm.

I was driving under a very heavy downpour when I noticed that, at about 80km/h and above on the freeway, there was this muffled low-tone "plunk, plunk, plunk" noise in the car.

It sounded as if very large droplets were hitting the car (...and that would have been my guess...) if it wasn't for the fact that the noise came from all around the car - top, side, underneath...literally everywhere.

I couldn't figure out what it was and the only lead I have is my wife (...who worked for a high-profile Japanese car manufacturer...) told that, once, a specific imported series of a particular model from that brand was manufactured with the noise-supression coat missing in the wheel arches and they had to find an improptu solution by appliying the coating here, in Portugal, after the import.

It is possible that something similar can could be the source for what I've heard, as a significant amount of water sprayed from the wheels and hitting an uncoated wheel arch could make the arch work as a resonating chamber, propagating the sound to make it seem as coming from everywhere.

There's been nothing but normal rain around here since, so I was not able to check for this problem again.

One of these days I will be dropping by my dealer for an inquiry about other inputs they might have on this subject.

I will keep you posted.

WV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes it’s the sunroof drain hoses I have the same sound. But haven’t talked to the dealership yet. From what I gather this is not new to this model and Volvo has had issues with the sunroof drains in the past.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys.

Yes, I have the sunroof.

I will contact my dealer with this information, asking for a similar European bulletin.

Much appreciated!

WV

·
108 Posts
@Jezza I assume you've had it as well
Yes. I have it. It sounds like a slurping noise. I also plan to have it addressed. I also have a wind noise of some sort coming from the passenger door area at highway speeds. Very annoying but I haven’t pinpointed it and I know the dealer won’t be able to reproduce in the city.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've noticed a "slurping" sound as well. I don't know if we all have the same "slurping" sound but mine seems to happen when I use the windshield wiper fluid to clean the windows. At highway speed the fluid travels past the tiny black moulding plate that's part of the side mirror assembly. It sounds like the liquid gets behind the plate through the seam and is swirling around underneath. Once it has dried up it goes away. That's my experience.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

Quick follow up.

My dealer has sent me a clip asking if this it reflects the same problem I experienced.

It does. It was exactly the same, except I remember it being louder.

Here's the clip:

WV

·
108 Posts
Please read earlier posts. The source of the sound has been identified as the sunroof drain hose. My understanding is that the dealer will install a redesigned part for those who complain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.