Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

New here and my wife and I are happy owners of a 2022 XC40 T5. Happy to be here.

We really love the car but are noticing quirks about it that we didn’t notice during the test drive and are wondering if they are normal for the XC40. Has anyone experienced similar?

- when selecting gears or parking vehicle, gear selector and transmission seem to be pretty loud with very audible clicks for P, R and D. Not necessarily concerning but interesting

- when proceeding from a stop, the car seems to take a moment. Almost as if the auto hold brakes are releasing (they shouldn’t be since we turned the feature off.) Or it feels as if the car is taking a moment to select a gear. And then it gives the car a small jolt forward before processing. Seems sort of odd but wasn’t sure if it should be concerned

- we went went with the polestar engineered XC40, and I’ve noticed most notably in the polestar drive mode but in the comfort mode as well- if we really get on the throttle, a few times the transmission down shifted very very hard into a lower gear before taking off. This was probably the most concerning experience so far.

- we also had an issue with the car rolling at stops. Either flat- rolled forward or on an incline, rolled back. We changed our braking setting to dynamic after searching that on this forum and that seemed to help

Do these sound typical? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
51 Posts
when proceeding from a stop, the car seems to take a moment. Almost as if the auto hold brakes are releasing (they shouldn’t be since we turned the feature off.) Or it feels as if the car is taking a moment to select a gear. And then it gives the car a small jolt forward before processing
That's the parking brake auto-releasing.
Here's what I do when starting off:

1) Foot on brake.
2) Start engine
3) Press down on the parking brake lever to release it.
4) Select gear
5) Take foot off brake and drive away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the parking brake auto-releasing.
Here's what I do when starting off:

1) Foot on brake.
2) Start engine
3) Press down on the parking brake lever to release it.
4) Select gear
5) Take foot off brake and drive away.
It actually happens while already driving. So as we approach stop sign or light. Stop, when we proceed it seems to jolt.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It actually happens while already driving. So as we approach stop sign or light. Stop, when we proceed it seems to jolt.
Well then it's not what I said.

My 2021 Momentum T5 doesn't do anything like that, so I'm not sure what you've got going on.

If it's repeatable, a drive with a dealer tech should clear it up immediately.

·
Super Moderator
260 Posts
I hear the clicks when shifting but doesn't seem to be any issue. I'm 45k in and have no mechanical transmission trouble, nor delays when starting from a stop with auto brake off. No experiences with rolling either although there is some space before hitting the parking pin in the transmission, so it may feel like you're going to roll but won't. I agree with you on the sudden downshifting. The transmission is my biggest complaint and it really needs to be reprogrammed. I fear having to downshift when I'm already rolling because it just always picks a really low gear. It's an 8 speed transmission.. when you press the gas firmly it should really be able to pick something in between staying in the same gear and slamming you into a low gear. The transmission is used on many different applications for many manufacturers including Lexus, so that leads me to think it's a good enough transmission and it must be the programming.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear the clicks when shifting but doesn't seem to be any issue. I'm 45k in and have no mechanical transmission trouble, nor delays when starting from a stop with auto brake off. No experiences with rolling either although there is some space before hitting the parking pin in the transmission, so it may feel like you're going to roll but won't. I agree with you on the sudden downshifting. The transmission is my biggest complaint and it really needs to be reprogrammed. I fear having to downshift when I'm already rolling because it just always picks a really low gear. It's an 8 speed transmission.. when you press the gas firmly it should really be able to pick something in between staying in the same gear and slamming you into a low gear. The transmission is used on many different applications for many manufacturers including Lexus, so that leads me to think it's a good enough transmission and it must be the programming.
good to know I’m not alone with some of the experiences I’ve had so far. I guess I’ll try not to floor haha. But the car is actually pretty quick. And I suppose I’ll just keep attention to the transmission and the car moving from a stop to see if it gets worse

1 - 6 of 6 Posts