Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my XC40 into the dealer twice to try and pinpoint a noise that I thought was coming from the steering column area but is most definitely coming from the driver seat. It occurs on dips and some bumps, at low and higher speeds. It's definitely getting worse with time. I took it in about a month ago and did a drive with the shop foreman and it wouldn't do it - however, it's of course been happening ever since. I can now make the squeak/clicking noise simply by moving around in the driver's seat.

I'm going to have them look at it again next time I take it in. It's really ruining the vehicle for me, which is sad because I love everything else about it.

Anyone else having a similar issue?

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
35 Posts
I've had my XC40 into the dealer twice to try and pinpoint a noise that I thought was coming from the steering column area but is most definitely coming from the driver seat. It occurs on dips and some bumps, at low and higher speeds. It's definitely getting worse with time. I took it in about a month ago and did a drive with the shop foreman and it wouldn't do it - however, it's of course been happening ever since. I can now make the squeak/clicking noise simply by moving around in the driver's seat.

I'm going to have them look at it again next time I take it in. It's really ruining the vehicle for me, which is sad because I love everything else about it.

Do an audio video of it to show them. Next time they take it for a ride, you drive and let them listen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What year is your XC40? I have the 2019 Momentum (one of the first off the line that made it to North America) and have had problems with the driver's lower seat throughout the life of the car. In addition to making a noise, the seat pops or snaps on occasion when I hit a bump or shift my weight a certain way. It feels sort of like when you sit on a hard plastic chair that has a crack and occasionally that crack pops in or out of place. Anyhow, I complained about it incessantly and eventually the dealer (supossedly) replaced the entire lower half of my seat. Shocker of all shockers, the issue has persisted. The dealer claims it is an issue of some sort with the clips that were designed to keep the leather from being pulled/teared. It seems to me like a problem that Volvo should be able to figure out, but I guess not. I've kind of given up now and am just counting down the days until my lease is done and I can bid adieu to the Volvo brand forever.

·
Registered
2020 Volvo XC40 T5 R-Design
48 Posts
Sounds like a plastic clip possibly popping in and out of place or something not installed correctly and rubbing together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had the same problem. My driver seat was creaking and the noise was generated by the screws holding the seat rail. Here‘s an easy fix: pull the seat all the way to the front, find underneath the screws fixing the seat rails to the floor, spray a little bit of WD 40 on the screws. It solved the problem for me, hope it will work for you too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So in the 5 months since my original post, the noise has become MUCH worse. It's to the point that every acceleration from a dead stop is accompanied by a loud creak coming from within the seat. Every move in the seat makes a sound. It was so bad yesterday that I stopped in to the dealer on my way home to have someone come for a ride with me, since up until now I was told either the repair folks couldn't hear it or they fixed it by applying lubricant - but was told to stop in anytime for a ride with a foreman.

I went for a ride with the foreman and he heard it before we even left the lot...went on a 2-minute drive so he could record it. I have an appointment in a month (because I need a loaner and that's the first available loaner appointment) to have it repaired. We shall see....my XC40 doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it yet and this noise is making me HATE the car which I love everything else about.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So in the 5 months since my original post, the noise has become MUCH worse. It's to the point that every acceleration from a dead stop is accompanied by a loud creak coming from within the seat. Every move in the seat makes a sound. It was so bad yesterday that I stopped in to the dealer on my way home to have someone come for a ride with me, since up until now I was told either the repair folks couldn't hear it or they fixed it by applying lubricant - but was told to stop in anytime for a ride with a foreman.

I went for a ride with the foreman and he heard it before we even left the lot...went on a 2-minute drive so he could record it. I have an appointment in a month (because I need a loaner and that's the first available loaner appointment) to have it repaired. We shall see....my XC40 doesn't even have 10,000 miles on it yet and this noise is making me HATE the car which I love everything else about.
The same issue with my 2020 XC40, very annoying, indeed.
The springs of the bottom were substituted and now is absolutely quiet. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same issue with the drivers seat in my S90, the click occurs each time i move around in the seat and whilst driving. I told volvo, London, UK, Endeavour automotive Chigwell - they said they had never heard of such a problem. it exists thanks to this forum and its not just me. I love the car except this noise which ruins the drive.

Please keep me posted on what it works out to be for you.

Whilst my car was under warranty, the claimed to know what it was, charged me 80 pounds to fix it, only for it to come back 2 weeks later, I have no faith in them left.

Anyone know how I can contact volvo directly without a third party dealer in the way wasting my time ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
UPDATE:

Seems to have been resolved? It's only been a day tho, we shall see.

They "unbolted the front seat and moved forward. Removed old tape, cleaned and applied new tape and greased. Refit seat and torqued mounting bolts."

Also, seems to be a known issue...see the technical journal report here: TJ 34354
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10155190-9999.pdf

1 - 12 of 12 Posts