Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 2022 XC40 Recharge. Has 1.7 installed. So far really liking it - much more fun to drive than the XC60 PHEV I traded in.
I was expecting the apps for AAOS to be limited, used Soundliz.com to transfer my playlists to Spotify, so far that's been working fine. Podcasts via Pocketcasts working well. Biggest issue with all of the streaming apps seems to be that none of them support downloading playlists to the local drive, which means skips if the cellular drops. Looks like the internal drive has plenty of room to drop 10-20GB of music as a cache.
Only surprise so far is that I'm not seeing the Google Maps appear in the driver instrument cluster screen. I can switch between a view that basically shows nothing ("Calm" I believe) and a view that only shows the next turn direction in the center with no visuals. My understanding is that there should be a Google Maps view behind the turn directions.
Interestingly, when I switch between the two modes, there is a brief visual glitch that looks like digital noise in the instrument screen.
Am I missing something? Is this something I can reset somehow to fix, or...?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you post a picture. Sounds like visit to the dealership.
Should be able to post a pick later this weekend. Kind of hoping it's not a dealer fix, but... ::sigh::

Also was planning on recording a YouTube video showing all of the mainline apps for the car. Signed up for trials for everything - Spotify, iHeart, TIDAL, YouTube Music premium, etc - figured I might as well post a video showing them off so other folks don't need to, ha.

My kiddo loves the My Little Pony Brony streaming audio app. No Audible, but at least he's happy. 😂

·
Registered
502 Posts
My understanding is that there should be a Google Maps view behind the turn directions.
Interestingly, when I switch between the two modes, there is a brief visual glitch that looks like digital noise in the instrument screen.
Am I missing something? Is this something I can reset somehow to fix, or...?
Try rebooting the main infotainment computer (IHU). Press & hold the Home button (underneath main console screen) for 30 seconds - at least until you see the "Screen Cleaning" message disappear. The computer will then reboot, you'll see the dim Volvo logo appear while booting up.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Happens to me periodically, reboot the car, Hold the home button 20-30 seconds. Do you have profiles set up? I find switching to other profile and back can clear it as well. And sometimes it clears itself up. Welcome to 1.7

with 2 P8s now it will be interesting to see any differences or similarities. We willlikly factory reset the older one to get a clean start as it has been very glitchy.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
224 Posts
As others said, re-boot the IHU. Same thing was happening on ours when we took delivery and a re-boot solved it and it hasn’t occurred again. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
alas also seems to happen often after a factory reset / on delivery until car has “settled” in. Which is not the best behavoir for a brand new car.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The only thing saving Volvo with all this is the car shortage. If they were moving XC60s as fast as usual they wou,d have a ton of people upset with this new OS. Hopefully they get this all sorted before the car shortage is over. When I picked up my car lot was bare, they had some used cars, but less than a dozen new.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I complained about Google Maps' stability to Volvo customer service, they advised me to go into Settings, Apps, Google Maps, and clear the storage and cache. Of course then you'll want to re-download an offline home map.

·
Registered
298 Posts
@Wiverson not sure if this is your same issue precisely but here is what i have noticed over the past few days, both in our XC40 and my Polestar 2, both which are on v1.7

Issue #1 - While first getting into the car, and starting to drive, parts of the map on the instrument cluster are missing. These same roads appear on the big / center screen, but not the driver display.

Issue #2 - During a route/drive with maps/nav running, similar issues will occur. Sections of the roads are missing, but the overlay is always there (the blue line, the GPS is accurate, it is just that the underlying maps are MIA sometimes)

Resolve for us has been to just cycle between the screens (the lower left button on the right thumb wheel/pad on the steering wheel, that goes between the “basic” and the “map” views. That 95% of the time has fixed the issue. The other 5% of the time is either fixed by actually just oddly opening the Maps on the center screen fixes the driver screen too, with just once needing an IHU reboot.

Hope this helps! Software is still definitely not as polished as some competitors, but when it works, its amazing!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
We have started locking the XC40 in the garage a few nights a week to have it fully go to sleep and that seems to be helping with any weird bugs. Never used to lock any other vehicle in the garage, but it’s a small change to make if that makes the XC40 operate a little smoother.
It really does need locked time!! It makes sense that it does but they did not think it through as it is not in the literature (is it master bainbridge? I ask as bainbridge is excellent at manual combing :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
It really does need locked time!! It makes sense that it does but they did not think it through as it is not in the literature (is it master bainbridge? I ask as bainbridge is excellent at manual combing :)
No, unfortunately the user manual does not go into details on this - nor any of the other mysterious "voodoo dance rituals" that are apparently necessary to make your car work properly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No, unfortunately the user manual does not go into details on this - nor any of the other mysterious "voodoo dance rituals" that are apparently necessary to make your car work properly.
If we never owned any other EV’s before, then we would be very upset with the weirdness of the XC40. You shouldn’t have to lock the car at night to have it to go to sleep fully. The car should just do it on its own after a period of time. Hopefully Volvo fixes some of these issues/bugs quickly if they want to go mainstream in the EV world and get more ICE drivers to convert.

But as I say that, I have another XC40 on its way to the dealer for myself. Haha.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This whole "sleeping" business reminds me of trying to get cheap PC laptops to properly sleep/wake/hibernate reliably every time. An apt comparison, I think - since the main IHU computer in the XC40 Recharge runs on a cheap 5-year-old Intel laptop chip. Or more precisely: an automotive variant (A3900) of the E3900 Atom chip introduced in Oct. 2016.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
It reminds me the dances I would do to make bugs appear in software so I could fix them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts