Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has briefly been listed in missing features, but has anyone come up with a solution?
Preconditioning and control seem to be two separate things
I feel like preconditioning from the app just keeps the temps from being extreme, but doesn’t actually leave climate control on.
Is there a way to leave climate control on?

· Registered
549 Posts
This was discussed recently -- our car is in the shop so I can't go look at it but -- if you're already in the car, you can go into climate menu (the fan icon) and into I think a "Parking" menu, and then there should be a button to turn on climate control. It should run for ~30 min and allows you to leave the car with the climate running (you cannot change it from the preset 72 F / 22 C temp, however). Also, you must open the driver door, otherwise the start button will be greyed out. Technically, starting climate from the app does the same thing, but the latency of the app might make this option less desirable.

Not sure if that answered your question or not?

· Registered
369 Posts
no, these are the only ways that i know of. not sure if you can 'trick' the car by leaving something reasonably heavy in the front seat so it thinks there is a driver?

i have a strong feeling that once in park, it doesn't matter if there is a driver or not - the thing will turn off after 30 minutes.

i have emailed volvo about getting a dedicated dog mode as well as a camp mode. i highly suggest others to do the same. the more people ask for something the more likely it is to get done.

· Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
569 Posts
no, these are the only ways that i know of. not sure if you can 'trick' the car by leaving something reasonably heavy in the front seat so it thinks there is a driver?

i have a strong feeling that once in park, it doesn't matter if there is a driver or not - the thing will turn off after 30 minutes.

i have emailed volvo about getting a dedicated dog mode as well as a camp mode. i highly suggest others to do the same. the more people ask for something the more likely it is to get done.
Can you please send me the Volvo email. Three times I am getting undeliverable email. I was thinking doing the same thing. Thanks.

· Registered
160 Posts
Just thinking outside the box why not use the set timer on the Schedule and set the timer about 35 mins apart as it normally comes on for 30 minutes, that would give it 5 minutes to rest and reset. Might give it a try while I'm charging off my solar tomorrow and give it 2 cycles. OK have just set it up for 9am and 9:35am so will see how that is tomorrow and will plug the car in at 8am to charge as well

· Registered
369 Posts
Just thinking outside the box why not use the set timer on the Schedule and set the timer about 35 mins apart as it normally comes on for 30 minutes, that would give it 5 minutes to rest and reset. Might give it a try while I'm charging off my solar tomorrow and give it 2 cycles.
yea, give it a go and let us know. interesting approach, i like it.

tell us more about your solar setup!

· Registered
369 Posts
Thank you. That fill out form disappeared from the Canadian site. I sent another email to see if it will go through. Contact us | Volvo Support
I also emailed them regarding having a bike rack on the back and having to 'trick' the system into thinking a trailer is attached. otherwise, you have to turn off the RAB and parking sensors every single time. tricking the system disables the BLIS though, which is a safety issue.

imo, EV owners tend to be active-ish people, so things like dog mode/camp mode/bike rack mode etc are features that i would value sooo deeply. it gives depth to the car as the car is able to adapt well to your lifestyle, not you adapting to the car with random fixes for this and that.

· Registered
160 Posts
yea, give it a go and let us know. interesting approach, i like it.

tell us more about your solar setup!
OK have programed the car and it has accepted it so will see tomorrow. I'm in Australia and for different reasons I have 2 solar systems, currently I have 2.5kw grid tied, no batteries but am waiting for a 6.6kw and 12kwh hybrid system, I have a 5kw Victron system with 30 kwh BYD LFP batteries. Had this setup for about almost 5 years I think? Only problems I have found on hot days (38c + ) the 48v DC to 230v AC inverter derates and can overload on high temperature and needs to cool down. btw this is when you want to crank up the aircons. Basically I drop from 5kw power down to 3kw on the AC 230v, but I can keep using that missing 2kw to charge the batteries as they dont use the DC to AC inverter, sounds confusing but not to hard :)

· Registered
206 Posts
So it's not possible to have people sit in the parked car with HVAC on for more than 35 minutes in the Volvo EVs? I looked through the C40 online manual after ordering and thought it was possible, but perhaps I was mistaken. It's not a big deal for the C40 since the vast majority of family outings will occur in my Model Y, but I've really come to enjoy the dog & camp mode in the Tesla. Hopefully Volvo will update the software in the future to add something similar to the dog/camp mode. Seems like an easy thing for pretty much every EV to copy from Tesla.

· Registered
369 Posts
So it's not possible to have people sit in the parked car with HVAC on for more than 35 minutes in the Volvo EVs? I looked through the C40 online manual after ordering and thought it was possible, but perhaps I was mistaken. It's not a big deal for the C40 since the vast majority of family outings will occur in my Model Y, but I've really come to enjoy the dog & camp mode in the Tesla. Hopefully Volvo will update the software in the future to add something similar to the dog/camp mode. Seems like an easy thing for pretty much every EV to copy from Tesla.
i agree completely. its something that EV owners expect to have.

on the topic of leaving the car as the driver while family is still in - is there a way to leave the music/spotify/whatever playing when the driver exits?

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
So it's not possible to have people sit in the parked car with HVAC on for more than 35 minutes in the Volvo EVs?
Assuming they're a passenger, they can press the Home button on the center console to place the car into comfort mode (eg, with climate running). Although I think they'll have to press the button every 30 minutes, not sure.

Obviously not a solution for Dog Mode, unless of course you can train your dog to press the Home button every 30 minutes :D.

· Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,191 Posts
on the topic of leaving the car as the driver while family is still in - is there a way to leave the music/spotify/whatever playing when the driver exits?
Yes, they just need to press the Home button on the center console to activate "Comfort Mode". From the manual:

Comfort
Mode
When someone sits in the driver's seat or when the center display is used or started via the media button in the tunnel console:
  • The center display can be used.
  • The infotainment system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The climate system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The power seats can be adjusted.
  • Power windows, Bluetooth, navigation, phone and windshield wipers can be used.
  • The 12-volt electrical socket in the cargo compartment can be used.
  • USB ports can be used.

· Registered
369 Posts
Yes, they just need to press the Home button on the center console to activate "Comfort Mode". From the manual:

Comfort
Mode
When someone sits in the driver's seat or when the center display is used or started via the media button in the tunnel console:
  • The center display can be used.
  • The infotainment system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The climate system starts automatically (same as while driving).
  • The power seats can be adjusted.
  • Power windows, Bluetooth, navigation, phone and windshield wipers can be used.
  • The 12-volt electrical socket in the cargo compartment can be used.
  • USB ports can be used.
thank you, good info

· Registered
4,154 Posts
I would be very nervous trusting my dogs life to the timers :(

I will continue doing what I have done for years. Clip the dog to the rear area with a leash and leave the back up so the dog is basically in the back of a pickup. This car has nice loops for this.

Our dogs have always been bigger dogs so no risk of a criminal trying to crawl in past them.

Would love a dedicated proven to work dog mode.

· Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Onyx, 01/21, v2.5
76 Posts
Just thinking outside the box why not use the set timer on the Schedule and set the timer about 35 mins apart as it normally comes on for 30 minutes, that would give it 5 minutes to rest and reset. Might give it a try while I'm charging off my solar tomorrow and give it 2 cycles. OK have just set it up for 9am and 9:35am so will see how that is tomorrow and will plug the car in at 8am to charge as well
The climate timers only run for 10 minutes in my experience (from an energy monitor) rather than 30 minutes for the manual preconditioning.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.