Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
XC-40 Recharge ordered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I founded an article on topelectricsuv.com (Don't know if I can post the full link on this forum) that wrote that the charging speed of the 2023 model is pretty faster than the 2022 model.

( Volvo Cars has significantly reduced the time required for fast-charging the XC40 Recharge dual-motor AWD’s 75 kWh battery pack internationally. The 2022 XC40 Recharge dual-motor AWD took 120 minutes (2 hours) with a 50 kW DC charger and 40 minutes with a 150 kW DC fast charger. The 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge dual-motor AWD takes only 68 minutes with a 50 kW DC charger and 32 minutes with a 150 kW DC charger... )

As I doesn't find anywhere else that affirmation, I wonder if someone else have another source for this ?

If it's true, it's a good news. :cool:

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,136 Posts
Hi,
I founded an article on topelectricsuv.com (Don't know if I can post the full link on this forum) that wrote that the charging speed of the 2023 model is pretty faster than the 2022 model.

( Volvo Cars has significantly reduced the time required for fast-charging the XC40 Recharge dual-motor AWD’s 75 kWh battery pack internationally. The 2022 XC40 Recharge dual-motor AWD took 120 minutes (2 hours) with a 50 kW DC charger and 40 minutes with a 150 kW DC fast charger. The 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge dual-motor AWD takes only 68 minutes with a 50 kW DC charger and 32 minutes with a 150 kW DC charger... )

As I doesn't find anywhere else that affirmation, I wonder if someone else have another source for this ?

If it's true, it's a good news. :cool:
I believe the hardware is the same. They have been continually updating the software and improving the charging curve, so I'd say with the latest software updates the 2021-22-23 cars should be the same. Having said that, the numbers referenced don't make a whole lot of sense...unless they are referring to an 80% charge or something. It would be impossible to charge the 75 kWh battery in 68 minutes on a 50 kW charger as 68 minutes at 50 kW is only 56.6 kWh = 75% of the car's full battery capacity.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Volvo is moving some of its plug-in hybrids from a 3.7 kWh on-board charger to 6.4 kWh. It was on the Swedish page for the 2024 V60 Recharge.

Maybe there's a similar bump in hardware specs for the 2023 EVs?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Volvo is moving some of its plug-in hybrids from a 3.7 kWh on-board charger to 6.4 kWh. It was on the Swedish page for the 2024 V60 Recharge.

Maybe there's a similar bump in hardware specs for the 2023 EVs?
Volvo has made no announcements about hardware updates to the full EVs, so I believe that answers the questions. True the plug-in hybrids have been updated.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Look at the specs on their website and it seems to be true...
Yes, if you look at the fine print, it says "10-80%" so those charge times quoted are the same as what any 2021-22 XC40EV with the latest software will get. So yeah, nothing has changed except the evolution of the software that dictates the charging curve...but yep, it's good! :)

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
459 Posts
The 2023 charging times don't make much sense with 50Kw charger only taking 23 mins longer than 140Kw charger, charging from 10-80Kw.
Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

While the 2021 DC charging rates appear to make more sense and this is charging from 10-80Kw.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Brand

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,034 Posts
I'm no electrician, but the math seems wrong for the 2023 charging. Going from 10-80% (70% total of 75 kWh available) would be 52.5 kWh. So even assuming an impossibly lossless power transfer, wouldn't 60 minutes @ 50 kW only be 50 kWh?

(EDIT: Fixed typos.)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'm no electrician, but the math seems wrong for the 2023 charging. Going from 10-70% would be 52.5 kWh. So even assuming an impossibly lossless power transfer, wouldn't 60 minutes @ 50 kW only be 50 kWh?
Yeah, that's right...wouldn't be possible to put in more than 50 kW in 60 mins, so it is a bit off (although you have a minor typo - 10-80%..ie 70% of the 75 kWh pack capacity...is 52.5 kWh). Edit: looks like it would be 63 minutes so maybe they rounded down to the nearest hour? ;)

I can believe the 150 kW charger speeds.10-80% (52.5 kWh) over 37 minutes would be an average charge power of about 85 kW, which seems about right given the charging curve starting at 150 kW @10% and dropping down to about 37.5 kWh @80% as per the latest charge curve below.
Rectangle Slope Plot Font Parallel

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I worry that volvo might of caugh a case of chargetimeitus. A diseas that effects many ev companies making them say charge times that are faster than possible. Volvo was I thought immune but maybe not.

Jokes asside. Why is the 50 charge line in the graph straight until 80. I have never seen this in reality. I have seen 50 chargers following a similar curve (all be it scaled down) to the 150s vs soc.

But this is self based anecdotal evidence. I need to start actually graphing charging (wish the car would do it for me). The number of times I have done 50s is lower than 150s.

That said never seen that nice flat curve to 80.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I worry that volvo might of caugh a case of chargetimeitus. A diseas that effects many ev companies making them say charge times that are faster than possible. Volvo was I thought immune but maybe not.

Jokes asside. Why is the 50 charge line in the graph straight until 80. I have never seen this in reality. I have seen 50 chargers following a similar curve (all be it scaled down) to the 150s vs soc.

But this is self based anecdotal evidence. I need to start actually graphing charging (wish the car would do it for me). The number of times I have done 50s is lower than 150s.

That said never seen that nice flat curve to 80.
Those charge curves must be in ideal conditions. If it can do the 150 curve as shown, there's no reason it shouldn't be able to sit at 50 on a 50 kW charger as shown. I haven't done the experiment though...on the 150 kW chargers I know it's pretty good and similar to what's shown in the chart IF the battery has pre-conditioned prior to arrival. If not, it's a lot lower from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2023, XC40 Recharge, Fjord Blue
19 Posts
Yeah, that's right...wouldn't be possible to put in more than 50 kW in 60 mins, so it is a bit off (although you have a minor typo - 10-80%..ie 70% of the 75 kWh pack capacity...is 52.5 kWh). Edit: looks like it would be 63 minutes so maybe they rounded down to the nearest hour? ;)

I can believe the 150 kW charger speeds.10-80% (52.5 kWh) over 37 minutes would be an average charge power of about 85 kW, which seems about right given the charging curve starting at 150 kW @10% and dropping down to about 37.5 kWh @80% as per the latest charge curve below.
View attachment 4856
Maybe I'm going crazy but I swear my xc40 23 was still doing 52kW at 86% when I realized I blew past my stop point (was eating dinner in the car and wasn't paying attention). Maybe it was full charge amount, plus battery cooling, plus AC and radio?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Maybe I'm going crazy but I swear my xc40 23 was still doing 52kW at 86% when I realized I blew past my stop point (was eating dinner in the car and wasn't paying attention). Maybe it was full charge amount, plus battery cooling, plus AC and radio?
On a 150 charger?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts