Volvo XC40 Forum banner

How often do you use the parking brake?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
XC40 T5 Momentum.

My town is pretty much flat, so I'm never parking on much of a hill.

I really didn't like the "Squat, then lunge" combo when starting off the first time.
ESPECIALLY when in very tight parallel-parking spaces here in Cambridge, MA.

So I looked in the user guide and figured out how to turn off the automatic-parking-brake feature and things are better.

What's the deal with this?
Should I be using the parking brake every time I park, or is there a normal parking pawl that gets engaged?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
IMO -- no. I can't imagine an automatic transmission without a locking Park pin, so with that in mind, I don't think it's worth it; the one dividing line I've used before if I'm not sure -- is it hard to disengage the Park pin when you're trying to drive away from where you parked?

My old 4Runner would be pretty hard to shift out of park on a slope, enough to make me fear damage, so I had a habit of stopping, hit parking brake, shift to neutral and let it settle against the brake, then shift to park.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is it hard to disengage the Park pin when you're trying to drive away from where you parked?
Everything is automated and motorized, so I don't even get to feel how hard it is to "come out of park."

I just tap the shifter knob twice, hit the gas and away I go.
The car figures out what has to be done and does it.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
Are you driving a P8? I figured you were talking about a gasser with A/T.

AFAIK the P8 doesn't have a locking mechanism, so the brake (engaged with the "P" button) is it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
You do not even have to select park with the P8 it automatically deploys when you exit the vehicle though you can put it on by hand.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Oops not talking about the p8 my bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's automatic...
I open the driver's door, the brake is activated;
I take off the driving belt, the brake is activated;
I turn off the car; the brake is activated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts