Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was interested in purchasing the Recharge in New Jersey but hit a snag. In NJ, the vehicle MSRP must be below $55k to qualify and the state's published eligibility list shows the Recharge's MSRP as $53,990, as does Volvo's landing page. However, when I was talking with the dealer, the salesman said that the Recharge starts at $55,085 so it doesn't qualify. Doing quick math, it looks like they're including the destination charge in their number. The salesman also claimed Volvo corporate is the one saying the car is ineligible. This state incentive is at point of sale, so it's not even like I could take a chance and submit a claim as I would for the federal incentive.

My question is, has anyone else encountered this, where the dealer is including the destination fee along with the MSRP, thus disqualifying it from state incentives? Not sure what other state incentive rules are so maybe this is more of a question for anyone who purchased in NJ.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
In general Volvo does not qualify for state ev money offs which makes sense as it’s a luxury car.

I would rather the money goes to those who need it more to get them on the ev train.

We get the 7.5k federal incentive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
NJ chargeup guide I feel states that you remove the destination charge. If your a costco member you get 2k off till 8/2 . Private message me and Ill give you a dealer to work with who is easy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In general Volvo does not qualify for state ev money offs which makes sense as it’s a luxury car.

I would rather the money goes to those who need it more to get them on the ev train.

We get the 7.5k federal incentive.
Well, it is what it is. NJ set the qualifying MSRP limit at $55k and the Recharge is listed there.

NJ chargeup guide I feel states that you remove the destination charge. If your a costco member you get 2k off till 8/2 . Private message me and Ill give you a dealer to work with who is easy
Getting the Costco offer wasn't a problem at all, but the state point-of-sale incentive made the offer an immediate buy vs not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well, it is what it is. NJ set the qualifying MSRP limit at $55k and the Recharge is listed there.

Getting the Costco offer wasn't a problem at all, but the state point-of-sale incentive made the offer an immediate buy vs not.
So you want the xc40 without any options?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you want the xc40 without any options?
I didn't say that. Cars are qualified on their base MSRP, not the total sale price.

And even if I wanted one without options, so what? This dealer wasn't going to honor it anyway since they're saying the base MSRP is higher than the qualifying limit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I didn't say that. Cars are qualified on their base MSRP, not the total sale price.

And even if I wanted one without options, so what? This dealer wasn't going to honor it anyway since they're saying the base MSRP is higher than the qualifying limit.
Cars are qualified BASE on THEIR TOTAL SALE PRICE minus the shipping. Read the NJ Chargeup rules.

XC40 Recharge is Starting from $53,990 MSRP . Its under 55

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
Cars are qualified BASE on THEIR TOTAL SALE PRICE minus the shipping. Read the NJ Chargeup rules.

Ah, I see. This is correct for NJ.

The MSRP cap will include all line items on the purchase or lease agreement which relate to the value of the vehicle itself (including but not limited to battery upgrades, autonomous upgrades, wheel and tire packages, audio and infotainment system).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I did. Taken directly from the document published on July 1, pg 7:

• The MSRP and its impact on incentive eligibility will be taken into account only up to the point-ofsale. Any additions made to the vehicle thereafter that would otherwise alter the value of the vehicle will not alter the vehicle's eligibility for an incentive under the Program.
  • The MSRP cap will include all line items on the purchase or lease agreement which relate to the value of the vehicle itself (including but not limited to battery upgrades, autonomous upgrades, wheel and tire packages, audio and infotainment system). The MSRP cap will not include maintenance or vehicle care packages, additional vehicles accessories (ex: first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets, etc.), destination and delivery charges, tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees since these line items do not relate to the value of the vehicle itself, but rather to logistics, care, and maintenance of the vehicle.

Also, if you look up the eligibility list, it clearly shows the Recharge and lists the price WITHOUT destination. This dealer was saying the MSRP was starting over $55k and the number they quoted was $53,990 + destination.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did. Taken directly from the document published on July 1, pg 7:

• The MSRP and its impact on incentive eligibility will be taken into account only up to the point-ofsale. Any additions made to the vehicle thereafter that would otherwise alter the value of the vehicle will not alter the vehicle's eligibility for an incentive under the Program.
  • The MSRP cap will include all line items on the purchase or lease agreement which relate to the value of the vehicle itself (including but not limited to battery upgrades, autonomous upgrades, wheel and tire packages, audio and infotainment system). The MSRP cap will not include maintenance or vehicle care packages, additional vehicles accessories (ex: first aid kits, floor mats, cargo nets, etc.), destination and delivery charges, tax, registration fees, title fees, and documentation fees since these line items do not relate to the value of the vehicle itself, but rather to logistics, care, and maintenance of the vehicle.

Also, if you look up the eligibility list, it clearly shows the Recharge and lists the price WITHOUT destination. This dealer was saying the MSRP was starting over $55k and the number they quoted was $53,990 + destination.
The dealer is wrong. Show them what you just found. If you find the one in stock for 53900 before shipping, it applies. Is the dealer you used listed on this page Eligible Dealerships | Charge Up New Jersey

I bet the one below qualifies as it is option light. Though I would use another dealer

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

The thought of a XC40 P8 with no options, I would rather get a AWD ID.4 at that point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The dealer is wrong. Show them what you just found. If you find the one in stock for 53900 before shipping, it applies. Is the dealer you used listed on this page Eligible Dealerships | Charge Up New Jersey
Yup, they're on the list of eligible dealers. I also showed them the NJ eligible vehicles list but he said that NO Recharges qualify, all MSRPs start over $55k, and that this was from Volvo corporate. Either way, they wouldn't budge even though I told him I was ready to sign right there. In the end, I didn't want the car so badly that I wasn't willing to walk away so I did. I'm just curious if anyone else heard the same about the incentives from a dealer.

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
Are you trying to order a base model one, or do they actually have one on the lot that you were looking at? Because orders for 2021 MY are already closed, and the 2022 MY looks like it'll have a price bump that takes it over the limit on the base model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you trying to order a base model one, or do they actually have one on the lot that you were looking at? Because orders for 2021 MY are already closed, and the 2022 MY looks like it'll have a price bump that takes it over the limit on the base model.
The dealer I was working with had quite a few '21s in their lot, from base to fully loaded. So, we were working with what he actually had on hand. He also had no info on '22s at the time (we asked), so that wasn't in the picture anyway. The thing that gets me is he said that no Recharges qualify across the board, since they all started at just over $55k base (the number he pointed to was equivalent to $53,9 + destination), and that was supposedly from Volvo corporate. Regardless, if they don't honor it then they don't honor it (maybe they pocket it on their end?). I'm just curious if anyone has heard the same who's purchased recently. If so, I won't bother chasing it with other dealers.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
The reality is dealers don’t know anything. They don’t even know what they need to know about their Volvo cars or what Volvo is saying. I would never and have never believed what dealers tell me especially when it comes to state, federal or utility incentives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The reality is dealers don’t know anything. They don’t even know what they need to know about their Volvo cars or what Volvo is saying. I would never and have never believed what dealers tell me especially when it comes to state, federal or utility incentives.
I completely agree. I had another dealer before this one claim that I can get the state credit but I have to claim it myself, even though NJ clearly states that their program is point-of-sale and taken directly off of the vehicle price; there isn't even a process for a consumer to try putting in a claim. Regardless of whether a salesman believes what they're saying or is feeding a line of BS, I can't force them to do anything they're not willing to do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yup, they're on the list of eligible dealers. I also showed them the NJ eligible vehicles list but he said that NO Recharges qualify, all MSRPs start over $55k, and that this was from Volvo corporate. Either way, they wouldn't budge even though I told him I was ready to sign right there. In the end, I didn't want the car so badly that I wasn't willing to walk away so I did. I'm just curious if anyone else heard the same about the incentives from a dealer.
I would find another dealer to work with.

·
Registered
205 Posts
In California the price of the P8 is not an issue. There is a state incentive, but it's income based, not price of car. I applied, and I had to file an income statement and submit an IRS waiver form allowing the state department to review my income tax statements. It's not clear to me what all they include. For example, what about tax-free muni bond interest, or the increase in value of a 401K. Do they include the value of a house? I live in an expensive area where houses are now selling for millions, even though I paid less than $200K many years ago. The program description makes it sound like it's discretionary on the part of the reviewer. It's a bigger income allowance if the car is registered in two names - i.e. husband/wife. It's also good only until the funds run out, so even if we qualify, it might be that some others are easier qualifiers and scoot in ahead of us if we're near the cutoff. It's funded by the state clean air agency, not the energy department.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up my Recharge 11 days ago at Princeton and was not able to get the state incentive. I specifically waited till after July 1 until the new NJ Budget was passed and the ChargeUpNJ EV Vehicle incentives went into effect again. Unfortunately, they changed the rules and structured it differently than last year. I did get the Costco $2k off which helped, as will the $7500 federal tax credit. I don’t know how the dealerships apply for the incentive, i.e. will the program automatically reject the application based on the base MSRP, plus the added packages. It’s a query I had.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts