Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to be able to have the remaining estimated range displayed alongside the charge percent in the instrument cluster, it would actually give me a sense of what I'm able to do with the remaining charge.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I can't find anything in the menus about it

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would love to be able to have the remaining estimated range displayed alongside the charge percent in the instrument cluster, it would actually give me a sense of what I'm able to do with the remaining charge.

Does anyone know if this is possible? I can't find anything in the menus about it
No not possible. But just say Hey google what’s my range and it will tell you how many kms or miles you have available based on your charge percent.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
You can also set your destination and it will show you how much juice you will have when you get there.

Honestly found the lack of constantly being told was not an issue at all on a road trip nor is it in life. You get used to it. I thought it would be an issue but surprisingly not.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
While not possible in the current software, the Polestar 2 (shares a lot with the XC40 P8) does show it. Volvo could do it if they wanted to.

·
Registered
53 Posts
While not possible in the current software, the Polestar 2 (shares a lot with the XC40 P8) does show it. Volvo could do it if they wanted to.
In the meantime I have found a useful trick is to double the percentage remaining number and consider that a conservative range remaining.

So 45% remining is good for 90+ miles, 60% remaining is good for 120+ miles and so on.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
In the meantime I have found a useful trick is to double the percentage remaining number and consider that a conservative range remaining.

So 45% remining is good for 90+ miles, 60% remaining is good for 120+ miles and so on.
That is likely good for normal warm weather driving, but my guess in cold climate that will be off a bunch.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just spotted this on the Volvo website after hearing the Polestar 2 is getting an October update

Software Updates

Updated 10/3/2021

Updates in software version 1.7
  • Software version information is now available.
    • Software version numbers will be shown in the center display. Release notes related to the current and upcoming software updates will be available in the center display and on the Volvo Cars Support website.
  • Adjusted sensitivity of Rear Automatic Braking (RAB) to reduce risk of activation in automatic car washes.
  • A snowflake icon will appear next to the battery level indication due to cold weather to inform if the usable battery capacity will be limited.
  • Introducing information about cold climate impact on battery range through startup message and notification in the driver display.
  • Fixed problem with the Seat Belt Reminder notification in the driver display.
  • Introducing the Volvo Range app.
    • Estimated range indication, indications on improvements of range in comparison to driving behavior and estimation of consumption leading to speed, climate settings and so on.
  • Introducing Sirius XM satellite radio. Available as an in-vehicle application.
  • Software update notifications will be available on the mobile app.
    • Notifications of an update that has been downloaded and is ready to install, installation started/in progress and result of installation.
  • Preheating of battery when the destination on Google Maps is set to a fast-charging station in order to improve charging performance.
  • Increased range due to improved battery energy utilization and improved regeneration performance.
  • Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.
  • Increased battery operation temperature during driving and fast charging for increased range and charging speed.
  • Workshop Wi-Fi: Vehicle is able to connect via Wi-Fi at supported Volvo workshops for service visits.
  • During charging, the charging view in the center display will include the charging time needed to reach a destination if one has been set in Google Maps.
  • Tire pressure monitoring system will show a calibration message after the completion of this update.
  • New rear window sun curtain controls in center display.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just spotted this on the Volvo website after hearing the Polestar 2 is getting an October update

Software Updates

Updated 10/3/2021

Updates in software version 1.7
  • Software version information is now available.
    • Software version numbers will be shown in the center display. Release notes related to the current and upcoming software updates will be available in the center display and on the Volvo Cars Support website.
  • Adjusted sensitivity of Rear Automatic Braking (RAB) to reduce risk of activation in automatic car washes.
  • A snowflake icon will appear next to the battery level indication due to cold weather to inform if the usable battery capacity will be limited.
  • Introducing information about cold climate impact on battery range through startup message and notification in the driver display.
  • Fixed problem with the Seat Belt Reminder notification in the driver display.
  • Introducing the Volvo Range app.
    • Estimated range indication, indications on improvements of range in comparison to driving behavior and estimation of consumption leading to speed, climate settings and so on.
  • Introducing Sirius XM satellite radio. Available as an in-vehicle application.
  • Software update notifications will be available on the mobile app.
    • Notifications of an update that has been downloaded and is ready to install, installation started/in progress and result of installation.
  • Preheating of battery when the destination on Google Maps is set to a fast-charging station in order to improve charging performance.
  • Increased range due to improved battery energy utilization and improved regeneration performance.
  • Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.
  • Increased battery operation temperature during driving and fast charging for increased range and charging speed.
  • Workshop Wi-Fi: Vehicle is able to connect via Wi-Fi at supported Volvo workshops for service visits.
  • During charging, the charging view in the center display will include the charging time needed to reach a destination if one has been set in Google Maps.
  • Tire pressure monitoring system will show a calibration message after the completion of this update.
  • New rear window sun curtain controls in center display.
I just started a new thread for those of us who have updated to 1.7 (I did it yesterday at the dealer - check it out to see my experience so far - hopefully, others will share theirs). Great update!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I noticed on a recent YouTube video about the C40 that IF you have software Version 1.7 (I do not), you can put the new Range application in one of the home screen slots, and it will display your range on the home screen. Maybe one of you lucky 1.7 folks can check it out.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I noticed on a recent YouTube video about the C40 that IF you have software Version 1.7 (I do not), you can put the new Range application in one of the home screen slots, and it will display your range on the home screen. Maybe one of you lucky 1.7 folks can check it out.
It displays the range on the Home Screen in 10 mile increments. When I first installed 1.7, it showed 170 miles. I drove the next day and it dropped to 160 miles. And yesterday it dropped to 150 miles. Better than nothing, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Since car centric mode is gone, would be nice if they could move this info into the guage cluster.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So what are you looking for?
I like the Range Optimizer and have opened it up full screen to get an idea of how my driving would impact the range, but don't keep it open all the time. I guess my expectations of a range display were too high, decrementing the range by mile instead on 10 miles. Since it's all a guesstimate anyway, 10 mile increments is fine.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I dream of a 3rd screen on gauge cluster that is if not fully at least largely customizable. Perhaps you would chose option in your phone on the voc ….

I know I know I am dreaming but …having designed customizable ui’s for an app almost 30 years ago it is painful to not have it in my shiny futuristic car.

Happy as it is, sometimes I forget that better is the enemy of good.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took a long trip (nearly 2000 miles) right after getting our XC40 Recharge and I found on highway (TN, AR, TX - so decent temperatures) I got essentially 2 miles per percent, so it wasn't hard to project. That's the same experience as Rhughes.

When I got below 16% and the SOC gauge on the 12 inch screen goes from white to orange, it started to show its own range estimates.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts