Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if folks purchased out right or leased their XC40 Recharges?

I leased my XC40 Recharge in July on a 2 year / 12,000 miles per year deal with the Costco rebate. The monthly payment is $530 / month with $3,000 down.

Yesterday, I did a Vroom appraisal to see what they would pay me today for the car. Vroom offered me an even $50,000, essentially with my current lease payoff ($45,000) I could walk away with $5,000 due to the equity in the car already (odd to say with a lease, but common for leases currently, just cashed in more than $5,000 on my Mazda CX-5 at the end of its lease in July).

The question I have is, how well do you think the XC40 will hold its value? Do you think a 2 year old XC40 with max 24,000 miles would be worth more than $33,000 (purchase price at end of lease)?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
First avoid Vroom, they are a mess. Do some research, sure people have a good experience, but I tried to sell to them a few month ago and gave up. They will offer the best price, but not sure the hassles are worth it. Also they don't pay you until a few days after the car is picked up. If the transporter damages the care you could be in a fight/. Also since you leased there is a $350 lease buyout fee form Volvo if I recall.

A more accurate offer would be Carmax or Carvana.

I think once the current car shortage is over EVs will not hold their values well. Mostly as better EV tech is rolling out and a car with 200 mile range will have a very niche market appeal.

If you are leasing I would not buy at the end, you will have so many options in the EV space. Buying out a lease is rarely a good deal once you factor in the lease.

I purchased as I wanted to keep this for 5-6 years (hopefully) and the 200 mile range is not an issue for use and we have a 21 T5 as well. In 2-3 years we will replace the T5 with another EV at which time 250 miles will probably be a low end range and 300 should be more common in the market.

I have my eye on Toyota, they should be brining solid state batteries out soon and hopefully in 3-5 they will be reasonably affordable.

·
Registered
609 Posts
First avoid Vroom, they are a mess. Do some research, sure people have a good experience, but I tried to sell to them a few month ago and gave up. They will offer the best price, but not sure the hassles are worth it. Also they don't pay you until a few days after the car is picked up. If the transporter damages the care you could be in a fight/. Also since you leased there is a $350 lease buyout fee form Volvo if I recall.

A more accurate offer would be Carmax or Carvana.

I think once the current car shortage is over EVs will not hold their values well. Mostly as better EV tech is rolling out and a car with 200 mile range will have a very niche market appeal.

If you are leasing I would not buy at the end, you will have so many options in the EV space. Buying out a lease is rarely a good deal once you factor in the lease.

I purchased as I wanted to keep this for 5-6 years (hopefully) and the 200 mile range is not an issue for use and we have a 21 T5 as well. In 2-3 years we will replace the T5 with another EV at which time 250 miles will probably be a low end range and 300 should be more common in the market.

I have my eye on Toyota, they should be brining solid state batteries out soon and hopefully in 3-5 they will be reasonably affordable.
Echoing HeKeith 100%.
1) There are many EVs rolling out now, and in 2 years time, there will be even more options for you to choose from
The Soltera looks interesting, partnership between Toyota and Subaru
2) I have purchased it as i typically own a car for at least 5 years before getting "tired" of it
3) Also, there's an ICE Subaru Impreza to fall back on, and the 200 miles/day is more than enough for my commute

·
Registered
83 Posts
I leased my XC40 Recharge in July on a 2 year / 12,000 miles per year deal with the Costco rebate. The monthly payment is $530 / month with $3,000 down.
$530/month? How is your payment so low? I put down $400, after a $7500 EV lease rebate they took off the MRSP, and still ended up with $800/month payment for 3 year/12k lease, and my credit score is over 800. Did I get totally ripped off?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Here in GA they were taking the $7500 and adding as much as $3K more on top. I had lease offers with $10-11K discounted on the cap cost. It still sounds awful cheap. But what options does the car have. The car starts at $56K, there are 1 or 2 in GA at about $58K so if you take $10K off that and put $3K down you are at $45K cap cost.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
225 Posts
I was going to purchased for cash since I got a great deal on my trade-in. But the cost of Volvo Financial money was too low to pass up. Took a 36 month term, which should be about the time the 2d gen Volvo EV roles out . Hopefully, by that time VC will have figured out AAOS (or abandoned it).

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
One thing I remind people is that while buying for cash or putting big money down on cars for purchase or lease is the risk if car gets into a serious wreck or totaled the insurance will try and only make sure the lien holder is covered and even then no promises. I always fully finance my cars or leases and make sure I have gap this way if something goes sideways with a wreck or being totaled I will not be out of pocket. I also finance them as long as I can that is reasonable. For the P8 I got 2% on 72 months and would rather invest my money where I get more than 2% returns.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Yeah that is free money at .99%, I don’t recal what was offices back in May as the dealer went outside Volvo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
$530/month? How is your payment so low? I put down $400, after a $7500 EV lease rebate they took off the MRSP, and still ended up with $800/month payment for 3 year/12k lease, and my credit score is over 800. Did I get totally ripped off?
Ha. I leased mine about 3 months ago with about the same stats as you except mine is 24 months, and they was after some serious haggling. I thought it was pretty fair, but now yeah it looks like you can get better deals. Perhaps Corporate is incentivizing dealers to help push them out quicker

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same - have a 36 months lease with costco discount and loyalty bonus. Monthly rate is $744 but includes tire insurance and excessive wear and tear insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am a new member looking to purchase a new XC40 Recharge in the US. I cannot find a close dealer that has one to test drive, and my local dealer does not seem interested in selling me one.
Can you guys offers some advise on the following:
1. What type of discount should I be able to get off the MSRP?
2. If I would order a new 2022, any idea of how long it would take for delivery?
3. Is this vehicle really capable of towing a 3300# trailer. I have a boat that I need to pull twice a year.(Trailer has brakes.)
4. What mileage can you really expect per charge?
5. With a 240V 40A home charger, what type of recharge times can one expect?
Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi, I am a new member looking to purchase a new XC40 Recharge in the US. I cannot find a close dealer that has one to test drive, and my local dealer does not seem interested in selling me one.
2. If I would order a new 2022, any idea of how long it would take for delivery?
3. Is this vehicle really capable of towing a 3300# trailer. I have a boat that I need to pull twice a year.(Trailer has brakes.)
1. None. They are going at sticker, at least here in Southern California. However, you get a 7500 Federal tax credit, maybe a state credit depending on where you live, maybe an electric utility credit, a Costco discount, and a loyalty discount if you are already a Volvo owner.
4. In my experience the car does a little better than the 208 mile stated range, but I drive in a mild climate.
5. A 0% to 100% charge takes about 6 hours with a level 2 charger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same in NJ - i did get the Costco discount and the Volvo loyalty promotion as well as state and federal credits and first month lease payment waived…

1. None. They are going at sticker, at least here in Southern California. However, you get a 7500 Federal tax credit, maybe a state credit depending on where you live, maybe an electric utility credit, a Costco discount, and a loyalty discount if you are already a Volvo owner.
4. In my experience the car does a little better than the 208 mile stated range, but I drive in a mild climate.
5. A 0% to 100% charge takes about 6 hours with a level 2 charger.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Depends on where you are located. In the Southeasteealers we’re taking about $2K discounts on top of any other incentives. Problem now is they are virtually all gone.

I have been able to charge about 48% charge in about 4-4.5 hours on 40amps. If you look at the 2 range threads, many of us are getting better than 220-230 miles or more in expected range. European cars tend to rate efficiency in kWh per 100 miles, where US cars tend to show miles per kWh. Decent efficiency is about 3.5-4 miles per kWh. In the XC40 I routinely see about 3.2 miles per kWh. Considering the car is as aerodynamic as a brick and has over 400hp and 0-60 in 4.8 sec, that is very good.

As far as a test drive let me say this. We own a 2021 XC40 T5 R-design, and a P8 Recharge. They are equipped virtually identical and even the same color. The interiors are identical, the only visible differed is the USB C ports in P8 vs. the USB A ports in the T5. The car OS is different, and a few exterior differences. They ride very different. The T5 is nimble and light and the P8 is planted and heavy (not in a bad way). The P8 to me, feels and handles more luxurious, but rough roads you will feel due to the extra weight. Depends on what you are looking for.

The beautiful thing about the XC40 P8 is just that, it looks like every other mainstream car and only grabs attention as the car it is, not the novelty of because it is an EV.

·
Registered
155 Posts
We purchased. $58,180 list, purchased with a $3500 discount for $54,680.

Tacked on a 10 year/120,000 warranty from Steingold for $3672, about what we saved with the discounts. Don’t know if that will end up being a good investment or not, but we did it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you all for the quick responses so far.
We did test the drive ICE version, and liked it alot.
Anyone know what order lead time might be for a 2022 in the US?
Also, do you think it will have any issues towing a 3300# trailer? I only need to go a short distance twice a year from the boat ramp to the house.
Currently have a 2014 Jeep GC, and plan on trading it in on the XC40 Recharge.
One last question about maintenance, is there a schedule with detail

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you are planning to lease, you should absolutely consider using a broker. They can get you unmatched deals. LeaseHackr is a great resource: Marketplace

I used the marketplace to locate a broker and purchase my XC40 P8. Didn’t have to step foot in a dealership, paperwork and car were all sent right to my home. It was a $500 retainer for the broker services, which I’ve already made back in 2 lease payments.

·
Registered
2021 Crystal White XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8
12 Posts
I’m in Southern California & the dealer had several P8’s in stock. MSRP price was $60,250. I got Costco $2,000 discount, $4,000 dealer discount, & $1,500 California Clean Fuel Reward. I also applied for (and currently wait listed) the $2,000 Clean Vehicle Rebate Project & lastly the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. Also financed the purchase thru Volvo Car Financial Services for 0.99%. Good luck with your purchase. I love the P8!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts