Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hit a month and wife noticed how loud the shock absorber "hiss" on bumps in the new car. We've owned Audi, BMW and VW in the past, all heavier SUVs and never a sound when the windows are down.

Does anyone else have this experience?? Fearful due to the close to zero knowledge of the dealer and possible down time to take it back to have it checked!

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
No "hissing" on absorber BUT..... my car was in the shop for a week for brake pads and rotor replacement..... since then I'd been using OPD (in love with it), but I notice that every time at a stop, when i step on pedal there's definitely a "hissing" sound as if the tires are being "released" -- Can anyone confirm if this is also "normal" ?
Unfortunately, this is solely due to me NOT trusting my Dealer/Service of anything that comes out of their mouth hence my best validation is indeed checking with this Forum! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not normal for me, LOVE the OPD as well, very on rails / fly by wire feeling, what you're hearing may be the e-brake releasing loudly?
I have no clue what it is....just sounds like a "hissing release" sound of a spring/prop/strut/shock/lift support....like for your storm door.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
No "hissing" on absorber BUT..... my car was in the shop for a week for brake pads and rotor replacement..... since then I'd been using OPD (in love with it), but I notice that every time at a stop, when i step on pedal there's definitely a "hissing" sound as if the tires are being "released" -- Can anyone confirm if this is also "normal" ?
Unfortunately, this is solely due to me NOT trusting my Dealer/Service of anything that comes out of their mouth hence my best validation is indeed checking with this Forum! Thanks in advance
I definitely have the "hissing brake release" sound when starting from a full stop on OPD. It does seem like it's some electronic brake releasing sound. Not certain it's normal but has been present since delivery on 6/14.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I definitely have the "hissing brake release" sound when starting from a full stop on OPD. It does seem like it's some electronic brake releasing sound. Not certain it's normal but has been present since delivery on 6/14.
Thanks for confirming - I wasn’t using OPD at first, but AFTER the brake pads and rotors were replaced within 3 weeks of delivery, i started to transition to OPD (loving every minute of it). Thats why I wasn’t sure if the “hissing sound” was a result of the pad/rotor replacement OR it was supposed to be that way To begin with. I wouldn’t mind a bit if that doesn’t turn into functional/mechanical issue later - more of a curiosity, whether it’s a norm or exception.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts