Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I won't go into full details as others already have but I was too victim to the latest update and the keys no longer working.

What I will say is that this car is great when it works but when it doesn't it's a nightmare!

I called Volvo On Call and they sent someone local out who basically said, "It's not one of those electric ones is it?" and when he realised it was, refused to touch it. The second person (after ringing Volvo again) couldn't figure out how he was going to move the thing (let along disconnect the cable that was locked in place). I got the cable unlocked through the screen after using the blade key and braving the very loud alarm system and was able to get it to drive to the dealership.

The dealership told me it was their third in a week and they just got notified of another - their service desk guy had his head in his hands!

Their final advice to me: NEVER, I repeat, NEVER install an over the air update on this car! We will install them at service time only.

It's interesting that one of the selling points of the car is being advised against now by dealerships - to be fair to them, it is them who have to pick up the pieces when Volvo mess up!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One other interesting thing for those of you (most of you!) in left hand drive countries - over here in the UK, I went to the driver's door to use the blade and - no key hole! The blade key hole is on the passenger side for us (driver's side for you) so we have to do a bit of climbing to get into the driver's seat. Just a little nudge from Volvo that we're driving on the wrong side perhaps :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That kinda stinks! I've installed 3 OTA updates so far, and no issues. I live about a 10 minute walk from my dealership, so I intend to take every update until my car gets bricked 👟.
I think I'll continue to install them despite the advice but crucially I might leave it a week to make sure there are not bad reports next time! Truth is I've been so desperate for video apps like YouTube (which have been "coming in the next few weeks" since I got the car in March) that I install updates quickly in the hope it's finally happening!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I hope at some point, Volvo, dealers, or owners will begin to identify patterns which might explain the OTA outcome variations. I have now completed three OTA updates (2.1, 2.2, 2.3) and each was successful. I have no skill and no prior experience with EVs. I will admit to feeling like a porcupine in a balloon factory as I begin the process and I review the procedures to follow if I "Brick the C40".

As I attempt to search for a pattern, the following observations rise to the surface.
1. I have excellent LTE, Bluetooth, and WiFi connections.
2. As soon as I see an upcoming software version being released, I check daily for updates to any apps. (Just compulsive behavior perhaps?)
3. The installation of the new software versions to my C40 has always occurred after one of my 3-hour trips.
4. Before beginning the download, I complete the required actions. Activate the download with greater than 40% SOC, lock, leave, and give the process double the suggested time to complete.

Maybe an explanation for the variations will remain unattainable?

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think I'll continue to install them despite the advice but crucially I might leave it a week to make sure there are not bad reports next time!
(Preface: I do not have my car yet.) For 30 years I've been using Apple's Macintosh and other products. I have never run an OS or iOS update immediately. I always give them a few weeks, maybe even a month to stabilize. In that time, often two or more incremental updates are issued. Something as complex as an automobile OS I will gladly leave to the service techs, at least for the first few years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope at some point, Volvo, dealers, or owners will begin to identify patterns which might explain the OTA outcome variations. I have now completed three OTA updates (2.1, 2.2, 2.3) and each was successful. I have no skill and no prior experience with EVs. I will admit to feeling like a porcupine in a balloon factory as I begin the process and I review the procedures to follow if I "Brick the C40".

As I attempt to search for a pattern, the following observations rise to the surface.
1. I have excellent LTE, Bluetooth, and WiFi connections.
2. As soon as I see an upcoming software version being released, I check daily for updates to any apps. (Just compulsive behavior perhaps?)
3. The installation of the new software versions to my C40 has always occurred after one of my 3-hour trips.
4. Before beginning the download, I complete the required actions. Activate the download with greater than 40% SOC, lock, leave, and give the process double the suggested time to complete.

Maybe an explanation for the variations will remain unattainable?
In this case I could tick all four of those but think I just got unlucky and installed the update which had a bug before they pulled it. It was also fine for two days following the update and the issue appeared on the third day, not sure of how or why it took that long to happen though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Disconnecting the 12V battery was my next port of call if I hadn't managed to get it driving but the TCAM battery is one to remember for the future thank you!
Please be extra careful around the 12V battery! I bricked my C40 (Joined the Dead C40 Gang | Volvo XC40 Forum ) early in my ownership as I attempted to learn more about the 12V battery. Although I was following the Volvo manual, to the best of my knowledge, my actions caused a 175amp fuse to blow. I was lucky that the current did not flow through me. It taught me how an EV is very much a high voltage vehicle which requires specialized training to repair.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
575 Posts
I won't go into full details as others already have but I was too victim to the latest update and the keys no longer working.

What I will say is that this car is great when it works but when it doesn't it's a nightmare!

I called Volvo On Call and they sent someone local out who basically said, "It's not one of those electric ones is it?" and when he realised it was, refused to touch it. The second person (after ringing Volvo again) couldn't figure out how he was going to move the thing (let along disconnect the cable that was locked in place). I got the cable unlocked through the screen after using the blade key and braving the very loud alarm system and was able to get it to drive to the dealership.

The dealership told me it was their third in a week and they just got notified of another - their service desk guy had his head in his hands!

Their final advice to me: NEVER, I repeat, NEVER install an over the air update on this car! We will install them at service time only.

It's interesting that one of the selling points of the car is being advised against now by dealerships - to be fair to them, it is them who have to pick up the pieces when Volvo mess up!!
Wowzaaa!

·
Registered
88 Posts
so why offer an OTA if the dealer says don't do OTA's. Sounds like that dealer doesn't want to mess with the car in the first place. When I picked mine up they said all updates are OTA and you will be notified when it is time to install.

·
Registered
38 Posts
One other interesting thing for those of you (most of you!) in left hand drive countries - over here in the UK, I went to the driver's door to use the blade and - no key hole! The blade key hole is on the passenger side for us (driver's side for you) so we have to do a bit of climbing to get into the driver's seat. Just a little nudge from Volvo that we're driving on the wrong side perhaps :ROFLMAO:
I'm surprised they didn't think of that and make a RHD key setup. The market percentage might be small for a relatively small manufacturer, but why tick off your customer base?

(Preface: I do not have my car yet.) For 30 years I've been using Apple's Macintosh and other products. I have never run an OS or iOS update immediately. I always give them a few weeks, maybe even a month to stabilize. In that time, often two or more incremental updates are issued. Something as complex as an automobile OS I will gladly leave to the service techs, at least for the first few years.
I think I've been in the computer world since dirt was invented and this has always been sound advice. My favorite was back in the days of Windows NT where the advice was to load only the odd service packs starting with pack 3. That advice was fairly prescient!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Same with all updates in life. Don’t rush to install them. See how it goes. Dumpster fire upgrades happen to all different devices. Nobody makes you install so:
A. Wait two weeks. See how the reports are. Features vs bugs. New bugs vs old etc etc
B. See if after two weeks it is even still happening. Volvo had pulled otas before (as they did this one).
C. Install it when you have a little time in case it has issues.

I do this for all the devices I own and rarely get burnt.

It’s not like the otas are packed full of shiny must have features.

I am sorry those that installed this one and had problems. It is hard/impossible to release an update that has zero problems and I hope they fix the ones they caused soon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
231 Posts

They’re updating the software every 3 months currently, so no, taking your car to the dealer that often isn’t practical. As to your abysmal On-Call experience, I’m surprised some of these people still have jobs. They’re entitled to their opinions in private, but as paid representatives of Volvo, they should be a bit more professional. Yes, Volvo’s actively updating the user (and no doubt, workshop) manuals, so there’s bound to be a knowledge gap sometimes. But these people need to get over the fact that EVs are here to stay. They aren’t mechanics now, but technicians.
I’m one of the lucky ones, I guess. I did both the 2.2 and 2.3 updates and they went well. I’ve had a few minor glitches in four months, but nothing related to critical componentry, touch wood. To me it’s no different to updating your computer, and sometimes things don’t go quite as planned.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They’re updating the software every 3 months currently, so no, taking your car to the dealer that often isn’t practical. As to your abysmal On-Call experience, I’m surprised some of these people still have jobs. They’re entitled to their opinions in private, but as paid representatives of Volvo, they should be a bit more professional. Yes, Volvo’s actively updating the user (and no doubt, workshop) manuals, so there’s bound to be a knowledge gap sometimes. But these people need to get over the fact that EVs are here to stay. They aren’t mechanics now, but technicians.
I’m one of the lucky ones, I guess. I did both the 2.2 and 2.3 updates and they went well. I’ve had a few minor glitches in four months, but nothing related to critical componentry, touch wood. To me it’s no different to updating your computer, and sometimes things don’t go quite as planned.
I guess I should make it clear that the people Volvo On Call sent out were local recovery companies and they weren't working for Volvo directly - still, you'd hope that there would be some kind of connected up thinking here and some training Volvo could offer these sub-contractors as they really struggle with the EVs!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
I guess I should make it clear that the people Volvo On Call sent out were local recovery companies and they weren't working for Volvo directly - still, you'd hope that there would be some kind of connected up thinking here and some training Volvo could offer these sub-contractors as they really struggle with the EVs!
Welcome to the subcontracting universe. . .
There is barely enough training for dealerships let alone independents :( maybe one day.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Ultimate, Sage Green
231 Posts
That makes sense, and it’s more than a little scary. They call their larger tow trucks ‘wreckers’ this side of the pond. Still, the dealer shouldn’t be telling you not to do updates, and yes, Volvo needs to beta test more effectively, as well as invest in field crews to rescue theirs and sibling Polestar’s cars. Mistakes can and will happen, and this doesn’t help Volvo’s customer relationship.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts