Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm getting the following message from my dealer when trying to schedule a service to install the June and July 2021 updates on my XC40 Recharge (bought on June 14).

"For those updates, Volvo will send out a notice specific to your VIN when it is available for your car. Outside of that, updates are done over the air when you start the car. If there are any issues for example the screen reboots itself or other bug issues then there could be a service bulletin for that issue where software may be the repair for that issue to repair the bug in that specific module.

We ran your VIN in VIDA and found that your vehicle already has the most up to date software that is available for your vehicle at the moment."

Is this what others have been told or should I look for a new dealer?

·
Registered
117 Posts
As many other posts in other threads have said, this is what is going on right now. I actually made an appointment and brought it in for the update, only to be rebuffed. The roll-out is VIN based, and they are either finishing the software for final push, or the OTA system is borked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As many other posts in other threads have said, this is what is going on right now. I actually made an appointment and brought it in for the update, only to be rebuffed. The roll-out is VIN based, and they are either finishing the software for final push, or the OTA system is borked.
Understood that the OTA roll out is VIN based, but I was not aware (and did not see this mentioned in any of the other threads) that the actual dealer-installed updates were VIN based.

I have seen many threads here where people brought their car in and were upgraded (after some pushing) and never mentioned getting a notification to bring their cars in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All,

I'm getting the following message from my dealer when trying to schedule a service to install the June and July 2021 updates on my XC40 Recharge (bought on June 14).

"For those updates, Volvo will send out a notice specific to your VIN when it is available for your car. Outside of that, updates are done over the air when you start the car. If there are any issues for example the screen reboots itself or other bug issues then there could be a service bulletin for that issue where software may be the repair for that issue to repair the bug in that specific module.

We ran your VIN in VIDA and found that your vehicle already has the most up to date software that is available for your vehicle at the moment."

Is this what others have been told or should I look for a new dealer?
I literally just left the dealership. Brought my car in for an inspection sticker swap (they put the wrong month sticker on at delivery) and I asked them to install the roof bars and update the software. I've had the car since June 14th. Original software was Mar18. New software is July27, installed 3 hours ago.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Unless there's a Service Bulletin or Recall involved - I don't think the dealer is going to get a warranty reimbursement just for doing a "routine" software update for you - are they? And AFAIK, only the "April" update (March 18 kernel) was part of an official Recall that requires a software update (recall #R10078).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I literally just left the dealership. Brought my car in for an inspection sticker swap (they put the wrong month sticker on at delivery) and I asked them to install the roof bars and update the software. I've had the car since June 14th. Original software was Mar18. New software is July27, installed 3 hours ago.
Cool, so you never received notification that your VIN was ready for an update?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Never received anything, just knew it was available from this board so I asked for it. The service tech was happy to do it. (Or at least he seemed happy)
You will know if you have the latest update if there is an option in the setting menu screen to have your sunroof cover automatically close.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Our experience with the software update mimics what others posted above. We are in Cleveland, Ohio where there are just 2x Volvo dealerships near to us. We bought from one that I knew from friends, and had a GREAT sales experience. Our service experience was sub-par. Mainly because the guy at the service desk was rude to me and my wife, rebuking us when I told him there was software to be updated. He said we'd get software updates OTA, which I said "was surely true, eventually" -- but that there was an update now that might fix things. He said "no such update existed" and fought with us tooth and nail. I had to get the sales person + sales manager involved, who agreed with me that if indeed there was software to be updated, we should get it, for free. Sales basically told service to do the work and bill the labor to the sales department. Crazy!!

FWIW, the service guy never apologized for his rudeness, even when I pointed out end of day (when we returned to pick. up the car) that indeed "Hey so there WAS a software update huh?" -- he got snippy again with my wife, so she left some negative reviews on social media. One of the owners saw it, called me, and was very apologetic. So I appreciate that upper management was trying to make good on the whole situation, but it really was an ugly mess. And while I do blame Volvo corporate for some of this, the whole "customer is always right" situation and this service writer who refused to believe that I knew more than he did about my own car, was just an ugly experience all around.

Hope you have better results!

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
I suspect, but do not know for certain, that installation of software updates outside of service bulletins is non-warranty work for which the dealer is NOT reimbursed by Volvo Cars. Those who have had dealers that installed a SW update which otherwise would be pushed out through OTA have dealers who value the customer experience and are absorbing the cost of installation (about 1.5 to 2.0 work hours) as customer goodwill. Those that are refusing to install non-service bulletin SW updates are more bottom line focused and are not willing to absorb the cost. Penny wise but pound foolish.

My experience is that I brought my vehicle into the dealer to install some accessories and the dealer included a SW update on its own initiative. I was prepared to wait for my VIN to come up in the OTA lottery, since I knew I would lose my favorite driver display mode - car centric - with the latest update. My dealer even offered me a loaner since the accessory installation and the SW update was going to take 4 hours. I had been prepared to wait for the accessory install. Needless to say, I have good feelings about my dealer (which sells more than Volvos) and I am developing some customer loyalty to them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suspect, but do not know for certain, that installation of software updates outside of service bulletins is non-warranty work for which the dealer is NOT reimbursed by Volvo Cars. Those who have had dealers that installed a SW update which otherwise would be pushed out through OTA have dealers who value the customer experience and are absorbing the cost of installation (about 1.5 to 2.0 work hours) as customer goodwill. Those that are refusing to install non-service bulletin SW updates are more bottom line focused and are not willing to absorb the cost. Penny wise but pound foolish.

My experience is that I brought my vehicle into the dealer to install some accessories and the dealer included a SW update on its own initiative. I was prepared to wait for my VIN to come up in the OTA lottery, since I knew I would lose my favorite driver display mode - car centric - with the latest update. My dealer even offered me a loaner since the accessory installation and the SW update was going to take 4 hours. I had been prepared to wait for the accessory install. Needless to say, I have good feelings about my dealer (which sells more than Volvos) and I am developing some customer loyalty to them.
this is most likely what’s happening. Thank you for putting it so well!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Thunder Grey
47 Posts
Good to hear thanks.
If it's supposed to function like it does in the XC90 (I suspect it does), here's the description:

With this function, the sun blind is closed automatically 15 minutes after the car has been locked if it is parked in hot weather. This is in order to lower the passenger compartment temperature and protect the car's upholstery from sun-fading.

I haven't had an opportunity to test out if this is how it works in the P8 with the newest software.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If it's supposed to function like it does in the XC90 (I suspect it does), here's the description:

With this function, the sun blind is closed automatically 15 minutes after the car has been locked if it is parked in hot weather. This is in order to lower the passenger compartment temperature and protect the car's upholstery from sun-fading.

I haven't had an opportunity to test out if this is how it works in the P8 with the newest software.
That makes perfect sense. For some reason I expected it to close when I locked the door but the 15 minutes buffer actually makes total sense, if you were to pop into a store for a few minutes, etc.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Thunder Grey
47 Posts
That makes perfect sense. For some reason I expected it to close when I locked the door but the 15 minutes buffer actually makes total sense, if you were to pop into a store for a few minutes, etc.
So, this doesn't seem to operate like I stated above, so I'm not sure how it actually works. On multiple occasions in the last few weeks I left the sun shade open and parked in hot weather for hours and the sun shade was never closed upon my return to the vehicle. I double checked and this setting is still enabled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It seems to be hit or miss with me too although to be fair, I can't for certain recall if the doors have been locked when the shade stayed open. Rereading the thread, that seemed to be a key component to it working.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts