Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than resurrect the wandering "New Owner" thread, I thought I would start a new one.

There was a, now expired, promotion that Volvo had offered pre-order customers through dealers to make up for delays and problems. The promo was for $1000 in free accessories. I have also had people on this forum mention that they were offered a $750 gift card as an alternative.

I had brought this up with my dealer when I was having the infotainment issues but I felt like they were reluctant to do anything while the car was actively experiencing issues. A week following the fix that resolved the infotainment issues they called out of the blue to offer $1000 in accessories. I hemmed and hawed and asked to get back to him. The next time we spoke I mentioned that there weren't a lot of accessories that excited me and asked about the gift card option. He did not believe that a gift card option was available but offered a ChargePoint EVSE. I asked for more time to make a decision.

Today he called and suggested that they make a payment for me. I immediately took him up on this offer. He has to get it approved and it will take a few weeks to get a check from Volvo. Needless to say, I have gone from "on the fence" about my dealer to "eager to recommend." Though I felt like we weren't communicating well at first they have been persistent and proactive in finding a way to erase the sting of problems with a new car.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Fantasist, I can’t either the selling dealer or the servicing dealer to bite on this. I reached out to Volvo now to,ask them to help get this gift card thing going.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
209 Posts
There was a, now expired, promotion that Volvo had offered pre-order customers through dealers to make up for delays and problems. The promo was for $1000 in free accessories. I have also had people on this forum mention that they were offered a $750 gift card as an alternative.
The “customer experience “ program was for non-warranty issues on vehicles delivered by June 1st and lasted for 6 months. Don’t know why dealers were either ignorant of or unwilling to use the program. The plain language of the program gave dealer discretion to pre-authorize and get reimbursed by Volvo as long as the claim was within the dollar caps and not spent on excluded items. The intent was to turn pissed off customers into fans or at least less pissed off customers. Since there was a ChargePoint promo offering a free level 2 EVSE at the same time, I opted for the accessories. I also felt it was a win-win for both me and the dealer — I get accessories I otherwise would not have bought and the dealer makes its profit on the accessories (charged at MSRP).

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Today I finally got my $1000 credit toward accessories. The trailer hitch I ordered finally came in & got installed today. Total was about $1280 with labor, minus the $1000 credit - I paid $280. Thanks to this forum, I was able to point them toward Service Bulletin #00-447 to have the $1000 billed to Volvo corporate.

Now I no longer have an excuse to avoid loading up the bike rack & getting some exercise 😁

·
Registered
967 Posts
When I picked up my car after 2 weeks in shop for IHU and rear pads and rotors the service manager had $750 in Amazon gifts waiting for me. I had asked for the good will and he was fine doing it. He did have to get regional manager to approve Amazon gift cards as they were not on the list.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
209 Posts
Got my new accessories installed today. Thank you, Volvo! Dealer gave me an ICE XC90 loaner; took 4 hours. After driving the XC90 I appreciate the mechanical aspects of my P8. I may never go back to an ICE vehicle again after getting to love OPD. The graphics on the dash screen of the XC90 are info-rich with good colors. However, the Google maps are far superior to the Sensus OS maps. Now, if only the P8 had half the tech features of the XC90 I’d say the P8 is an excellent first BEV effort.

The dealer also installed the “July” update. Guess I don’t have to worry about OTA updates until next quarter. Lost my favorite dash display — car-centric mode. No loss having Pilot Assist steering assistance moved to the center display, but now the two button on the left side of the steering wheel are useless. Happy that Pilot Assist cruise control remains on the wheel. It is one of my favorite features.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today I finally got my $1000 credit toward accessories. The trailer hitch I ordered finally came in & got installed today. Total was about $1280 with labor, minus the $1000 credit - I paid $280. Thanks to this forum, I was able to point them toward Service Bulletin #00-447 to have the $1000 billed to Volvo corporate.

Now I no longer have an excuse to avoid loading up the bike rack & getting some exercise 😁
How did you get it for this price? My local dealer is quoting me $2100ish installed 🧐

·
Registered
382 Posts
How did you get it for this price? My local dealer is quoting me $2100ish installed 🧐
No electrical hookup for me - I specified just the “naked” hitch receiver for my bike rack. Not sure if that’s the entire difference?

EDIT: also, I've heard some people mention a fancier hitch that folds up, stows away, does somersaults, whatever. This is not that hitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I picked up my car after 2 weeks in shop for IHU and rear pads and rotors the service manager had $750 in Amazon gifts waiting for me. I had asked for the good will and he was fine doing it. He did have to get regional manager to approve Amazon gift cards as they were not on the list.
I'm worried about the pads and rotors. I have heard there are issues with the xc40 rotors. Does the P8 have this issue too? What happens after the warranty is over? $2000 rotor replacements constantly?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm worried about the pads and rotors. I have heard there are issues with the xc40 rotors. Does the P8 have this issue too? What happens after the warranty is over? $2000 rotor replacements constantly?
Brakes on EVs are much less prone to wear due to the use of regenerative braking. That being said, some people have had issues with the parking brake rusting closed and there was a replacement done.

Maintenance costs should be much less than an ICE XC40 overall.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If they fix my rust issue I expect them to last a long time. That said I hope there will be third party options. I spent a lot of time googling the part numbers in the rear brakes and it seems they may be from the XC60/90 rather than the the ICE XC40, but there are dozens of part numbers for rotors listed even on Volvo's site. I have emails out to EBC (received replies already), Powerstop and Akebono to see if they make pads/rotors for the P8. I am using the part numbers that Volvo used to replace my rear brakes. EBC Rear Organic pads - DP62246

1 - 12 of 12 Posts