Volvo XC40 Forum banner
161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
751 Posts
You are not alone! Same here. The dealer is working on our XC40 but have not been able to find the fault. A dead brick on our driveway. We were on vacations for 12 days and returned to find a rather unpleasant dead car. Only 2300 miles, very disappointing. Let us keep in touch and see what the dealers find?
I assume this is a 2022 model? And was it plugged in or unplugged while you were on vacation?

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
227 Posts
You are not alone! Same here. The dealer is working on our XC40 but have not been able to find the fault. A dead brick on our driveway. We were on vacations for 12 days and returned to find a rather unpleasant dead car. Only 2300 miles, very disappointing. Let us keep in touch and see what the dealers find?
I'm sorry to hear about your brick. I hope they find the fault or drain. I see Tesla warns of a typical 1% drain per day when parked. This past winter I left my MY21 P8 parked for weeks & months on end with barely any drain or issues (knock on wood).

·
Registered
12 Posts
This really concerns me with trips abroad when I leave the car at the airport car park for a week
Don’t leave the car for a week at the airport! Big headache towing the brick to the shop. I did notice that there is a battery self discharge of about 5-10 per cent per 36 hours. This self discharge appears to increase as a function of time. Frankly, I am beginning to sense this issue is a time bomb for Volvo. I will keep the forum informed as to the outcome of my case. In addition, remember that once the car is dead, the “tow mode” can not be activated. Therefore, the car must be towed using a special towing system to prevent wheels from turning. Let us all keep together on this potential disaster related to the XC40. I am sick of it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I assume this is a 2022 model? And was it plugged in or unplugged while you were on vacation?
It was unplugged with 65% battery charge. After 11 days on vacation in Europe, I came back to find a dead car. Doors were locked and will not respond to remote control. I had to use emergency key to open car. Totally dead. We must keep informed in case we all need to return a defective product to Volvo USA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There seems to be a lot of descrepancies on how the car holds up over time when not plugged in. We've taken two vacations since we purchased the car ('22 Ultimate), in one case we were gone for 8 days, the other case we were gone for 13 days. The car was left at home, not plugged, and locked, charge was approximately 70% when we left, for the 13 day trip the car was at 65% when we got home, no issues other than the IHU must have gone into a deep sleep as we had to wait for it to reboot before we could start driving.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There seems to be a lot of descrepancies on how the car holds up over time when not plugged in. We've taken two vacations since we purchased the car ('22 Ultimate), in one case we were gone for 8 days, the other case we were gone for 13 days. The car was left at home, not plugged, and locked, charge was approximately 70% when we left, for the 13 day trip the car was at 65% when we got home, no issues other than the IHU must have gone into a deep sleep as we had to wait for it to reboot before we could start driving.
Lucky you! Hope you do not have to endure having a dead EV and the dealer not knowing what’s going on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lucky you! Hope you do not have to endure having a dead EV and the dealer not knowing what’s going on.
I would have little patience with having this, or any car, that I wouldn't be able to trust to reliably start. I've had a few "quirks" here and there, but nothing that left me feeling the car was unreliable, unsafe, or liable to leave me stranded. If you're not getting satisfaction from your dealer, escalate and use the lemon law if all else fails.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Me too. Lots of work trips and no issues. Feel bad for those having issues.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just had this happen again but on 1.8.1 software this time with temperatures around 20-35F. I think this is the third time now. Was sitting for 2 days at 50% main battery charge level. Had to use physical key to get in. Pulled all the plastic panels and measured 12v battery at 3.5v. Attempted to jumpstart with my motorcycle battery again but instead of waking up and charging the 12v system it was just draining the little battery. Will try trickle charging or just towing it in.
Checking back in with another dead 12v battery! Software 2.0, temps around 40-65, sitting for about 3-4 days with the doors locked and the keys far away. This is, I think, the 4th time.
Motor vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument Auto part Electrical wiring

Battery down to 3.13v before a jumpstart brought it all back to life, yet again. Get in and we have a message that service is required. Got an appointment in 2 days, we'll see if they find anything wrong this time...
Personal computer Sky Netbook Computer Laptop

Kinda getting tired of taking all this plastic off to get to the battery.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Checking back in with another dead 12v battery! Software 2.0, temps around 40-65, sitting for about 3-4 days with the doors locked and the keys far away. This is, I think, the 4th time.
View attachment 3642

Battery down to 3.13v before a jumpstart brought it all back to life, yet again. Get in and we have a message that service is required. Got an appointment in 2 days, we'll see if they find anything wrong this time...
View attachment 3643

Definitely something wrong. I hav elegy mine for over a week a couple of times even in the cold and had no problems.

I wonder when they will find which module is sucking power constantly on your car.

I suppose I cannot understand why they cannot set your car up with voltmeters to see what goes live or stays live over days.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Glacier Silver
475 Posts
View attachment 3642

View attachment 3643

Was your 12V battery at 3.13V? If yes get a new one. Doesn`t matter how new was the old.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I wonder if they changed over his battery? I had assumed they would but …
Perhaps they will, perhaps they did but it is irrelevant now. Battery that was discharged that low is nothing but trouble, I would not trust it. Personally I have seen 9.1V on my car (my old XC90 I was washing the carpet) and that is considered border line. After that the battery doesn`t hold charge very well.

·
Registered
475 Posts
A LEAD BATTERY SHOULD NEVER BE FULLY DISCHARGED
Lead-acid batteries can only be discharged up to 50% before irreversible damage occurs. In practice this means that you will only be able to use half of your battery capacity. Semi-traction batteries such as AGM en Gel lead-batteries are often used as Marine batteries for water sports and angling. These batteries can often be discharged up to 70%. This means that in practice 30% cannot be used. Lithium batteries can be fully discharged which means you have the full capacity available to use. In addition, unlike lead-acid batteries.
Font Material property Screenshot Number Pattern

How to Tell if Your Battery Is Bad in 3 Easy Steps

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
A LEAD BATTERY SHOULD NEVER BE FULLY DISCHARGED
Lead-acid batteries can only be discharged up to 50% before irreversible damage occurs. In practice this means that you will only be able to use half of your battery capacity. Semi-traction batteries such as AGM en Gel lead-batteries are often used as Marine batteries for water sports and angling. These batteries can often be discharged up to 70%. This means that in practice 30% cannot be used. Lithium batteries can be fully discharged which means you have the full capacity available to use. In addition, unlike lead-acid batteries.
View attachment 3644

How to Tell if Your Battery Is Bad in 3 Easy Steps
Good to know. It does seem that the xc40 has been plagued with some cars having bad batteries.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Was your 12V battery at 3.13V? If yes get a new one. Doesn`t matter how new was the old.
I have asked them to test the battery previously and they have said it was fine. Perhaps I'll push them to replace it this time. It's hard to argue with the "professionals" but when it continues happening, at some point they have to try doing something rather than just shrugging their shoulders.

I would like to get it to the dealership while the battery is dead so they can see for themselves but tow truck drivers always want to jump it to put it in tow mode. If it happens a fifth time I'm gonna feign ignorance about how to jump it and have them drag it up onto a flatbed.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I have asked them to test the battery previously and they have said it was fine. Perhaps I'll push them to replace it this time. It's hard to argue with the "professionals" but when it continues happening, at some point they have to try doing something rather than just shrugging their shoulders.

I would like to get it to the dealership while the battery is dead so they can see for themselves but tow truck drivers always want to jump it to put it in tow mode. If it happens a fifth time I'm gonna feign ignorance about how to jump it and have them drag it up onto a flatbed.
Have you contacted volvo corporate? They will work with your dealership and help them make “good choices”

161 - 178 of 178 Posts