Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this was a bit of a shock!

Our XC40 recharge is now sitting in the driveway, 100% dead and refusing to charge.

We have been having what I thought were minor issues- loss of LTE, loss of control of charging speed and limits. On Monday night we drove the car and parked in the driveway. We decided not to plug in because we had over 80% charge.

This morning I sat in the driver’s seat, and nothing turned on. No climate, no infotainment, no lights, nothing. Fob would not activate door locks. I plugged into our our L1 charging cable and got zero response. The charging light to the left of the connector on the car is not illuminated. The LED ring on the charging cable is lit white to show that it is plugged in, but not blinking as it should be if the vehicle is charging.

We have had the vehicle for just over a month. Volvo roadside assistance is en route. This is truly the nightmare scenario that technophobes who hate electric cars fear the most!!

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
110 Posts
Well, this was a bit of a shock!

Our XC40 recharge is now sitting in the driveway, 100% dead and refusing to charge.

We have been having what I thought were minor issues- loss of LTE, loss of control of charging speed and limits. On Monday night we drove the car and parked in the driveway. We decided not to plug in because we had over 80% charge.

This morning I sat in the driver’s seat, and nothing turned on. No climate, no infotainment, no lights, nothing. Fob would not activate door locks. I plugged into our our L1 charging cable and got zero response. The charging light to the left of the connector on the car is not illuminated. The LED ring on the charging cable is lit white to show that it is plugged in, but not blinking as it should be if the vehicle is charging.

We have had the vehicle for just over a month. Volvo roadside assistance is en route. This is truly the nightmare scenario that technophobes who hate electric cars fear the most!!
So sorry to hear that!! What a shock (or no-shock -- no pun intended). Hope it's rectified soson. Let us know what happens(ed).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did not try a jump start- I figure it’s heading to the dealer regardless, since I want the underlying problem fixed!

I’m not actually sure how to access the 12v, much less whether jump starts are recommended/safe. And shouldn’t the 12v recharge automatically as long as the main battery is charged? I wouldn’t think the main would discharge from 80% in 36 hours, regardless of the state of the 12v.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue a little over a week ago. I later learned that both 12V and big battery somehow were completely drained. Was showing 55% battery on the dash right before a power steering failure notice popped up and then it turned into a brick. I did jump start 12V battery and vehicle came back on but wouldn't accept charge from my Chargepoint ("charging error").

Towed to dealer and spent all last week there. They couldn't give an explanation of what happened except they think it was "a software issue". Got the latest software and the issue has not recurred as of yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tow truck arrived quickly, and technician first tried connecting a jump starter across the 12v battery (which I figured out how to access with a little help from the internet). After a little while, the instrument panel began to light up, and eventually the infotainment screen came on as well. We got a stream of various error messages, and battery level showed 0%. Couldn’t do much of anything useful- couldn’t put it in gear, and couldn’t charge (charge light by the connector turned red, instrument panel showed “error- reconnect.” Tech eventually dragged it onto the truck by brute force using a winch, and maneuvering the truck bed to turn the front wheels to steer. Rear axle remained locked- not a pleasant sight to watch the tires dragging across the truck bed!

Hopefully we will hear something from the dealer in a day or two. I will let you know how it turns out!

I would imagine this sets us up for our $1000 in free accessories per the customer service bulletin!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Very sorry to hear that - what could possibly drain the battery from 80 to 0 overnight ?
At this point, Volvo should start to extend warranty to all 2021 Recharge Models.
Hope the Dealer is able to figure out and it's a merely a software issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Randall, did you happen to abort a charge before reaching full capacity at any point in the near term prior to your issue?

FWIW, I did a few days before I had my similar issue (was set at 90% charge maximum and I cut it off at 84%). I first started having LTE issues almost immediately and then the larger issue happened a couple days later, but before I attempted another charge.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Randall, did you happen to abort a charge before reaching full capacity at any point in the near term prior to your issue?

FWIW, I did a few days before I had my similar issue (was set at 90% charge maximum and I cut it off at 84%). I first started having LTE issues almost immediately and then the larger issue happened a couple days later, but before I attempted another charge.
Is your Car ok now ? Charging as supposed too?
Now I'm almost "scared" to kill it pre-maturely !

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's fine now, after spending all last week at the dealer. Again, they couldn't tell me what happened, only that it was likely a software issue, and it hasn't recurred. The LTE issues that preceded the battery dying were bizarre- resetting infotainment wouldn't work and neither did resetting the modem.

·
Registered
609 Posts
It's fine now, after spending all last week at the dealer. Again, they couldn't tell me what happened, only that it was likely a software issue, and it hasn't recurred. The LTE issues that preceded the battery dying were bizarre- resetting infotainment wouldn't work and neither did resetting the modem.
The unsettling portion isn't so much of the mere fact its 1st generation, but much, much MORE unsettling part is the lack of to zero knowledge or know-how at Dealer level. Granted they didn't design the Car or Systems but all Dealers with permits to sell certain brands SHOULD be well versed of every Brand/Model that rolls out of their lots. Otherwise, permits shouldn't be issued to begin with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting... I think I very likely did interrupt charging, given the issues I was having with charge limits described in this recent thread. I was unable to set the charge limits below 100%, so I suppose I've been "interrupting" the charging quite frequently. However, I would say I did this often even before my issues arose. Has someone suggested that one shouldn't "interrupt" charging? It feels like pretty normal behavior to come home, plug in the car, and unplug it whenever you need to use it... or to park at a charging station, plug in, and then unplug and go on your way once your errand is complete, even if charge limits haven't been reached. If this seemingly routine behavior can trigger catastrophic battery failure, I am going to need to seriously reconsider whether life with an electric vehicle makes sense for me!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think we all need compensation for participating in Volvo's EV beta test. I get that Polestar you would be expecting this more just like early Tesla, but the Volvo name needs to stand for something. I get those of us on the forums are usually a minority of owners, but the issues showing up hear, from brake/axle issues, dead cars, software that is not stable or complete is very concerning. Any new Volvo customer (like me) that goes through tis will swear off the brand (I have) going forward. They customer service is nice to a point then it is "see the dealer" when the dealers are mostly clueless about this car. I regret buying vs. lease as at least I would start the 36 month clock before the pain is over.

Reactions: Cuelaw57

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Granted they didn't design the Car or Systems but all Dealers with permits to sell certain brands SHOULD be well versed of every Brand/Model that rolls out of their lots. Otherwise, permits shouldn't be issued to begin with.
I think this is why you see some EVs brands only selling in a few states as they need to focus on the EV markets and know they need to get a dealer/service network up to speed.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
609 Posts
Interesting... I think I very likely did interrupt charging, given the issues I was having with charge limits described in this recent thread. I was unable to set the charge limits below 100%, so I suppose I've been "interrupting" the charging quite frequently. However, I would say I did this often even before my issues arose. Has someone suggested that one shouldn't "interrupt" charging? It feels like pretty normal behavior to come home, plug in the car, and unplug it whenever you need to use it... or to park at a charging station, plug in, and then unplug and go on your way once your errand is complete, even if charge limits haven't been reached. If this seemingly routine behavior can trigger catastrophic battery failure, I am going to need to seriously reconsider whether life with an electric vehicle makes sense for me!
Exactly ! So far, I've interrupted charging at home ONCE on ChargePoint Unit - to your exact point, plugging/unplugging should come second nature to the car especially in public places !

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think we all need compensation for participating in Volvo's EV beta test. I get that Polestar you would be expecting this more just like early Tesla, but the Volvo name needs to stand for something. I get those of us on the forums are usually a minority of owners, but the issues showing up hear, from brake/axle issues, dead cars, software that is not stable or complete is very concerning. Any new Volvo customer (like me) that goes through tis will swear off the brand (I have) going forward. They customer service is nice to a point then it is "see the dealer" when the dealers are mostly clueless about this car. I regret buying vs. lease as at least I would start the 36 month clock before the pain is over.
I wonder if Audi E-Tron or Mach-E have their fair share of it -- what you'd mentioned above are not "little things" rather potential disastrous outcomes (...shutting down on highway with zero power, steering shutting down, no speed gauge, brakes/axle issues, battery draining to zero overnight....). ANY mechanical issues are NOT ok whether it's 1st generation or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We are all true pioneers. Besides the XC40 we own a 2015 BMW i3 Rex. That car got towed twice in the first year. The BMW dealer had to call the engineers in Germany for help. Good news Our i3 is trouble free since than.

Most of us know more about our car than the people at the dealer. Actually my sales person went to this forum to help me fixing the missing Google map in the main dash.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I have interrupted charging 20 times? 40? Maybe more especially during my plug it in test rate disconnect and try another phase.
Never had these problems though.
That is a lot of energy to dump in a night …

If you had plugged it in I would of wondered if the charging system was messed up somehow and drained it but it was not.

Even sitting there playing with the ac on full it should k no proof drained 80 in a night. Makes me think that there is a short or something …

So sorry this happened to you.

Alas this does happen and has always happened. Cars have a lot of moving parts and cars just go wrong and fail. Is it frustrating. **** yes. Should they look after us nicely when it happens of course but when a new ice car dies we do not look at the whole of the line or do we think **** that was unlucky. Here though each P8 represents all P8s.

Realistically can you release a mass produced car that has no problems for anybody for say the first month? Especially during chip shortages?

That said I would be poed if it happened to mine. The rear wheels not releasing sounds like a design problem. The thought of your car getting dragged across the ground was upsetting :(

A question to ask is did this hurt your battery? Should they give you a feee extended battery waranetee?

Good luck

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
When hauling an electrical vehicle, it shall either be lifted off from the ground or towed up onto a recovery vehicle’s platform.
Activating towing modeTowing mode is used when the vehicle has to roll freely in order to pull it up onto a recovery vehicle’s platform, for example.1.Press in the center display.2.Press Car status.3.Select Service.4.Press Activate Tow Mode.5.Follow the instructions in the screen.> The vehicle is now in towing mode and rolls freely.

Obviously you require power to activate towing mode,,,, this is the big problem if vehicle dead. Where are we suppose to get equipment to lift car on the tow truck in the middle of nowhere?

·
Registered
609 Posts
When hauling an electrical vehicle, it shall either be lifted off from the ground or towed up onto a recovery vehicle’s platform.
Activating towing modeTowing mode is used when the vehicle has to roll freely in order to pull it up onto a recovery vehicle’s platform, for example.1.Press in the center display.2.Press Car status.3.Select Service.4.Press Activate Tow Mode.5.Follow the instructions in the screen.> The vehicle is now in towing mode and rolls freely.

Obviously you require power to activate towing mode,,,, this is the big problem. Where are we suppose to get equipment to lift car on the tow truck in the middle of nowhere?
Wait…theres a towing mode ?? Never knew that !

1 - 20 of 54 Posts