Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Denim Blue XC40 Recharge
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving in Los Angeles is often...lets say an adventure...
People cutting in and out of lanes/running red lights is more common than not...

Looking at a dashcam, anyone using them?
If so where is best to place it around the monitoring systems of the rear view mirror?

Thanks

-s

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
262 Posts
Driving in Los Angeles is often...lets say an adventure...
People cutting in and out of lanes/running red lights is more common than not...

Looking at a dashcam, anyone using them?
If so where is best to place it around the monitoring systems of the rear view mirror?

Thanks

-s
While never using a blinker!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks pretty sleek. Did you install it yourself? Hardwired to the fuse box or OBD port (the manual implies you can wire it to either one)? Interested in your experience so far.
Yes installed it myself. I had some difficulty removing the mirror cover because the videos I could find were for a different model. Looks like Volvo changed it recently. Power comes from the rearview mirror. No need to connect it to OBD or fuse box. That's when you want the camera to run when the car is parked. I've got the rear camera also. For that you need to bring a cable from the front camera to the rear. I was surprised how easy that was. There is plenty of room to hide the cable everywhere. Next step is to also use the cable beam at the trunk. Now a 10cm loop of the cable is still visible.
Sometimes the camera doesn't start recording. I hope to solve this by using higher quality memory cards.
There is room for improvement in the app. But for this price I'm more than happy with this camera.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought that putting these things near the rear view mirror was a no-no due to the sensor stack in that area and also the loss of vision if you stick it below the mirror box? Does it impede your vision?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Still annoyed we can't just use the car's built-in cams as a dashcam like Tesla and others. Maybe an update in the future? I got one from BestBuy (NextCam I think it's called) I don't recommend it as it sometimes locks up for no reason when transferring video....that said my only change for location is front mount as I just don't want to see the thing so mine is mounted to the right (top) of the mirror console on the windscreen.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
496 Posts
I think you mean "Nextbase". I agree that it's not a great dashcam, but it has been working with no issues over the last year. I don't use the WiFi downloading feature because it's too slow. Much faster just to take the SD card to my computer to review/copy footage.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think you mean "Nextbase". I agree that it's not a great dashcam, but it has been working with no issues over the last year. I don't use the WiFi downloading feature because it's too slow. Much faster just to take the SD card to my computer to review/copy footage.
That's the once...couldn't remember the exact name. And yes slower for sure but wifi downloads are just more convenient.

·
Registered
60 Posts
121Gigawatts can you show me how to route the wire? I also have a Rexing and a hardwire kit but not sure how to route the wire to the fuse box. Thanks!
Mine is run through the head liner down the a pillar to the cigarette lighter port above the wireless charger. I work for the government and my work location does not allow cameras or phones, so i have to be able to unplug it prior to entering the facility..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine is run through the head liner down the a pillar to the cigarette lighter port above the wireless charger. I work for the government and my work location does not allow cameras or phones, so i have to be able to unplug it prior to entering the facility..
That makes sense. I would do that too. If I had to, so I’m glad I didn’t mind is entirely hardwired.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Being a crusty old engineer and a member of F&%K that I'll just print it Facebook group. I think I'll do just that with the Garmin mini dashcam. When I finally get my car (apparently Oct but not holding my breath) I'll design and resin print a nice OEM looking dash cam. I'll dismantle the Garmin one is ti all fits nicely. Location wise I want it out of the way is I was thinking top of passenger side door pillar as it should have was access to feed wiring. I'd also like to hard wire it for park mode. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I see. Did you use any trim tools to tuck the wires?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts