Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my OTA update installed. Now the screen on the dashboard that shows adaptive cruise and line assist is gone, so I can choose either a "calm" empty screen (what a waste), or a map, which is better than nothing.

My question: Is there a way to zoom in and out on this map (my VW and Audi can do it)?

Also, I notice that the map constantly zooms in and out (at intersections - but not all of them?), and rotates, like it looses the sense of direction where the car is going, like yaw sensor output is inconsistent... Weird...
Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my OTA update installed. Now the screen on the dashboard that shows adaptive cruise and line assist is gone, so I can choose either a "calm" empty screen (what a waste), or a map, which is better than nothing.

My question: Is there a way to zoom in and out on this map (my VW and Audi can do it)?

Also, I notice that the map constantly zooms in and out (at intersections - but not all of them?), and rotates, like it looses the sense of direction where the car is going, like yaw sensor output is inconsistent... Weird...
Thanks!
No way to Zoom in and out, unfortunately. With the new update you received, they advised that they no longer offer the info screen, only the Calm and Map screens. As for the Map screen. Good luck with the glitches. Sooner or later, you'll see the Google Map Icon flash on the screen, when it reboots itself. Mine also looks like a lightning show from a Minecraft kind of game. Its annoying as heck! I don't like the Calm page and would really like the Map page to work correctly. I can't tell you how many times I've been to the dealer. On one occasion, they had to replace the Head Unit (main computer). And, as of yesterday, my radio stopped working. It's one glitch after another!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts

Thanks!

Thanks!
To answer the question, there are two maps.

The on in the drivers screen zooms based on speed. At low speeds or stops in automatically enlarges the map and at high speeds it allows for a better overview. It also changes magnification if slowing for direction guidance.

It rotates so that the drivers direction is alway up.

The google maps on the main display can be changed with touch sensitivity. It does not follow the driver direction being up or north. I can be set to that mode if desired.

Using the touch screen, the google map can be shifted and moved to overview a different area than driving.

My mapping is flawless.

·
Registered
428 Posts
The zooming on the dashboard map seems pretty consistent with vehicle speed. That doesn't bother me as much as the frequent rotations, likely due to electronic compass variability figuring out the vehicle heading.

Or maybe it's just because the developer of the feature is a would-be movie director who really likes these "cinematic" swoops and curves :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Our map sometimes becomes very blocky, like an old school GIF image loading in over dialup, and struggles to keep up with the motion of the car. LTE at full strength.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Our map sometimes becomes very blocky, like an old school GIF image loading in over dialup, and struggles to keep up with the motion of the car. LTE at full strength.
Mine never does what you describe.
sounds like something is wrong.
can you duplicate it at will?
Can you get someone in the back
Seat to film it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine never does what you describe.
sounds like something is wrong.
can you duplicate it at will?
Can you get someone in the back
Seat to film it?
I shot several movies but couldn't upload. Here are some screenshots from those movies. I love having a map display right in the Dashboard but the fireworks display is driving me crazy! The Dealer asked me to shoot these movies for proof of what I was experiencing. I have yet to share these with them but have an appointment scheduled to do so.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
What is the Main displays map doing whilst the drivers display is doing this?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I shot several movies but couldn't upload. Here are some screenshots from those movies. I love having a map display right in the Dashboard but the fireworks display is driving me crazy! The Dealer asked me to shoot these movies for proof of what I was experiencing. I have yet to share these with them but have an appointment scheduled to do so.

Yup there is a problem - May need to replace the IHU?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks like the car is loosing data connection to download the map as you drive - try to enable offline maps.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
141 Posts
It looks like the car is loosing data connection to download the map as you drive - try to enable offline maps.
I would think if main map ok and since both are probably using the same source for data it would have to be IHU or some other problem.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would think if main map ok and since both are probably using the same source for data it would have to be IHU or some other problem.
The dashboard map is actually being "drawn" by Google Maps running on the android infotainment computer (IHU). The car's real-time OS (that runs most of the dashboard) provides a shared graphics buffer that it allows the IHU to write into. So it could be an IHU problem, a memory/buffer issue on the dashboard system, or communication issues between the two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dashboard map is actually being "drawn" by Google Maps running on the android infotainment computer (IHU). The car's real-time OS (that runs most of the dashboard) provides a shared graphics buffer that it allows the IHU to write into. So it could be an IHU problem, a memory/buffer issue on the dashboard system, or communication issues between the two.
My apologies, up front, for going off on this thread but, here goes... Believe it or not, I bought the car in June and had the IHU replaced in late July. The map maintained it's quirks, after the IHU replacement, but started this new fireworks show after the July Factory Update, which was downloaded at the dealer. Now, my radio hasn't been working for the last few days. Google assistant is also coming to life on it's own, without any prompting. My car is possessed, I tell you. LOL To add to this list, I jumped into my car one morning, to pull something from the glove box. No key fob in hand. The car came to life, where the car actually turned on, as if the fob was nearby. I didn't think that the car could do that but, what makes it more complicated, the car remained "on" after I shut the door. An hour later, as I walked up to my car to drive off to work, I noticed that the car was still "on". The doors were all closed properly. When I got in, I noticed that I lost 4% battery power in that hour that I was gone. I've read another Forum note that someone left for a road trip for a few days, in a different car, only to come back to a drained P8 main battery. I'm betting that they jumped into the car, before they left in their other vehicle, and the seat trigger kepted the car running; draining their battery. Glad that I didn't drain mine, completely! To go on, my Harmon Kardon stereo is garbage, when it plays. Only getting sound in the front, where the rear speakers play at about 75% lower volume and there is no Fade feature, nor left/right balance, nor Equalizer. The 3 loaner cars I've driven, all XC40 T6's, all had standard radios that tuned wonderfully. So disappointing! Lastly, my brakes stick after they get wet and dry out overnight, and there is clacking noise, in the rear bottom of the car, that "pops" on every left or right turn. The dealer needs my car to camp out at the service department for a few more days to remove all the wheels and check out what's going on, with the brakes and everything else. After owning the car for 3 months, and driven almost 9,000 miles, I can honestly say that this has been the worst car purchase ever made! Too bad that I really love the car, otherwise. Hard to pull the Lemon Law card but I'm running out of patience with "Ingrid".

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
So for the intermittent IHU issues, the dealer advised me to lock the car even in the garage, evidently the car goes into some mode when it is locked with no one in it, beats me. The Swedes logic on this P8 is rather confusing.

Reactions: EWB905

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hard to pull the Lemon Law card but I'm running out of patience with "Ingrid".
"Ingrid" - are you sure?
Try to look closely, behind the makeup. You may see Huī Yīn or Píng’ān there.
It's hard to believe that Swedish engineers and management let such a unfinished, half-baked product to mess with reputation of Volvo's name.
Likely electric hardware and software was developed by Geely and got thrown on a platform designed for a ICE XC40.
So far, I am deeply disappointed with my car... not serious enough problems to waste my time at the dealer, thanks God, but everything is half-baked... What should be an easily accessible basic controls is either missing, or buried in the menus. Some functions don't work intermittently, but work just fine next day - it will be impossible to reproduce at the dealership.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts