Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered a very simple and sleek dash cam that is installed in 10 minutes. It comes with a short wiring harness that plugs into the wiper power in the mirror. It is flush with the mirror and almost unnoticeable. 4k resolution and works with the cell phone for all images.

I am including the website and my final install pictures.

I did contact them through email and they responded to all concerns. It is specific for the Volvo XC40 recharge. The consider it model B.

The best install video is

Here is my final install.

Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Auto part Automotive lighting
Automotive design Automotive exterior Personal luxury car Auto part Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Sky

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks! Just ordered one. I've always wanted a dash cam 😁

Btw is that the wrong link to the install video? Takes me to another store/product page rather than a video.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Does installing it invalidate warrantees?
it took you 10 minutes to install? Are you good at installing because because I am not :)

How competent does one need to be?

cheers

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Just ordered one. I've always wanted a dash cam 😁

Btw is that the wrong link to the install video? Takes me to another store/product page rather than a video.
The video link is to a different vendor's web site selling the same product under a different name. However, it does have the best video for an installation on the XC40 electric. Other videos are for the non electric Volvo. Apparently, the XC40 electric has a unique style and needs a specific design for the dashcam to fit flush.

The video itself is about midway down the link. There is a very small picture with a video start button in the picture. Click that picture and the video starts. It is only about 1 1/2 minutes but does show the critical parts of the installation.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does installing it invalidate warrantees?
it took you 10 minutes to install? Are you good at installing because because I am not :)

How competent does one need to be?

cheers
Doing the install is actually quite easy and could be done by anyone with a small amount of dexterity.

Removing the mirror cover takes 5 seconds. It pops off from the back. Just lever forward and it removes by two rear clips coming free. It is not a very strong attachment.

The power comes from an interlocking power clip...the hardest part is depressing the little clip to get it to release. My fingers are a little big. I used a needle nose pliers and simply pushed the clip lever and it popped free.

The camera comes with a wiring harness about 4 inches long. One end plugs into the previously unplugged and open power port, the other end has two couplers. You plug the mirror power line into the one port and the cam into the other. The plugs are configured and marked so it is impossible to make a mistake.

It is essentially a Y splitter.

The hardest.... and I mean the longest struggle is getting the clips on the camera to pop into the opening behind the mirror. I struggled with that for awhile. Finally, I realized there are slots for the clips to seat behind the mirror and I was hitting, not sliding into the slots. Once I got the clips in the slots, the back popped into place. dd

It is secure and flush. The color is identical to the original molding and the finish looks like factory OEM.

My 10 minute installation was based on the fact that I tried to ignore the time wasted not realizing the clips went into slots. If you include the wasted time factor, it took 20 minutes.

Installing the app and recognizing the WIFI signal was 5 minutes.

The camera powered on and I turned on the app. It connects to the camera via a WIFI connection. Both IOS and Android.

You can adjust record time, resolution, impact or parking monitoring. There are buttons on the camera for power and instant video record. It turns itself off after 5 minutes and does not draw power.

There are many You tube videos that review the Fitcamx. Just do a search.

It comes with a 64 k card that can be replaced.

Upgrade to DHL express was s$25.00

I got mine in 10 days.

There appears to be no difference between the Fitcamx and other models on Alibaba. The Fitcamx has a US presence through this online store. I did both message and email for confirmation of the model and return concerns.

I got instant responses on one occasion through "messages". Emails were responded to by the next day.

So far, it is simple and clean.

I can't imagine how or why this would void any warranty. There is nothing the warranty that prevents tapping into a power source for a low powered dashcam.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
255 Posts
Ordered one too! I've looked on and off and didn't like many options, but this one seems perfect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the 2021 XC40 All electric Recharge, did you get the model A? Someone mentioned a different fit from the regular XC40 so want to make sure I order the right one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have seen that the manual says not to install anything within about a foot of the electronics behind the mirror. A dashcam could interfere with the safety features and radar. Did you know about this or ask them about this?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the 2021 XC40 All electric Recharge, did you get the model A? Someone mentioned a different fit from the regular XC40 so want to make sure I order the right one.
Order the model B

That is the correct one for the recharge.

I sent a picture of the mirror housing and that is what they recommended.

The model B fit perfectly flush.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have seen that the manual says not to install anything within about a foot of the electronics behind the mirror. A dashcam could interfere with the safety features and radar. Did you know about this or ask them about this?
No I did not see this nor believe it is an issue. The cover that is removed has no components in it other than a power connection.

Many people mount their dashcams in the exact same location as this device. In fact, almost all dashcams show people mounting them next to or under the mirror.

I have read multiple reviews of this system in cars with similar radar/safety features and have never read of a reported problem. In the days I have used this one, I have not experienced any issues.

I would be curious if someone could explain how this device could be an issue.

Indeed, the Factory Dashcam from Volvo Europe is within a foot of the mirror.

Sky Cloud Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you order the 4k FitcamX, it is 4k resolution. When using the app it gives options of setting it for 2k or 4k.

There are multiple videos on YouTube. Just search Fitcamx review.

The 4k reviews show an image that duplicates my experience. There is some fisheye effect from the wide view, but the clarity and color is excellent. I cannot perceive any image problem.

Considering the cost of a custom install and camera system, this is a bargain with no visible wires and you don't have to rip apart the car to route a harness. Also, no tapping into the fuses.

I have read some people have concerns about the permissions that the Roadcam app requests to use with this camera. It asks for access to media, contacts and storage. I had some concerns about a Chinese based app having access to my contacts and phone. It will not install if that access is denied.

The app itself works without a problem. I have not read any reviews noting issues or concerns with this app and it does pass the Google safety scan. I do run malware and antivirus on my phone. It has not picked up any issues. And there is no unusual battery/app usage or data usage. A deep search does not reveal any noted problems with this app and I checked multiple forums. So, the concern may be without basis.

If someone has any information regarding the app it would be helpful. However, the camera will not run on any other third party apps.

There is a new app, FitcamX, but it has one download and is not fully functional.

·
Registered
81 Posts
No I did not see this nor believe it is an issue. The cover that is removed has no components in it other than a power connection.

Many people mount their dashcams in the exact same location as this device. In fact, almost all dashcams show people mounting them next to or under the mirror.

I have read multiple reviews of this system in cars with similar radar/safety features and have never read of a reported problem. In the days I have used this one, I have not experienced any issues.

I would be curious if someone could explain how this device could be an issue.

Indeed, the Factory Dashcam from Volvo Europe is within a foot of the mirror.

View attachment 1288

Here's a link but there are several threads. The issue is just because you haven't had any false activations doesn't mean that the systems will work if they are needed. The concern is electrical interference.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you order the 4k FitcamX, it is 4k resolution. When using the app it gives options of setting it for 2k or 4k.

There are multiple videos on YouTube. Just search Fitcamx review.

The 4k reviews show an image that duplicates my experience. There is some fisheye effect from the wide view, but the clarity and color is excellent. I cannot perceive any image problem.

Considering the cost of a custom install and camera system, this is a bargain with no visible wires and you don't have to rip apart the car to route a harness. Also, no tapping into the fuses.

I have read some people have concerns about the permissions that the Roadcam app requests to use with this camera. It asks for access to media, contacts and storage. I had some concerns about a Chinese based app having access to my contacts and phone. It will not install if that access is denied.

The app itself works without a problem. I have not read any reviews noting issues or concerns with this app and it does pass the Google safety scan. I do run malware and antivirus on my phone. It has not picked up any issues. And there is no unusual battery/app usage or data usage. A deep search does not reveal any noted problems with this app and I checked multiple forums. So, the concern may be without basis.

If someone has any information regarding the app it would be helpful. However, the camera will not run on any other third party apps.

There is a new app, FitcamX, but it has one download and is not fully functional.
Do you need to keep the app installed after the initial set-up?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I recommend you not install any dashcam if that is the concern. I did check the Volvo site and it indicates not to stick or attach the cam to the window. It also indicates the area should be free of any obstruction. If you look at the system,it does not block any area of concern.

Regarding the electrical interference...I do not believe there is anything to support that statement other than a hearsay forum posting. The Volvo site mentions nothing about electrical interfence. Again, as there are zero reported issues,I am not concerned.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Seems like a few reports here. I'm probably going to avoid it unfortunately. Can't risk a random emergency braking. Volvo needs to just allow the camera on the car to record!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts