Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but there's a weird little settings menu that comes up when you use the voice command "open settings." I haven't figured out any other way to open it. Tapping "More" in this menu will open up the full settings menu just like tapping the gear icon normally. You can toggle "Night mode" in here, which puts the center display map into night/dark mode. I guess you can also adjust the contrast, but I haven't tried that yet.

·
Registered
'21 XC40 Recharge P8 Sage Green
1,150 Posts
Wow. No way to invoke this beyond accidental Google voice command? Gear icon on a weird slider that does nothing? Button that toggles cellular data on/off but doesn’t change state or give any indication?

This is clearly an unfinished “prototype” screen that somehow slipped into production code. This undermines what little confidence I have in Volvo’s amateur-hour software team. Apparently haven’t heard of testing or QA.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just tried "open settings" voice command, worked and gave me the "hidden" menu I've never seen before. I activated "Dark" mode, worked as expected, at least on Google Maps. I then tried voice commands for "enable dark mode", "turn dark mode on", etc., none of them worked, google responded that this feature is not available. Would be nice if in the future there was a way to enable dark mode, whether automated by ambient light or dawn/dusk settings, or via voice command. The feature is there, just need a better way to access it.

·
Registered
Red 2022 Late XC40, Yellow 2017 BRZ
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just tried "open settings" voice command, worked and gave me the "hidden" menu I've never seen before. I activated "Dark" mode, worked as expected, at least on Google Maps. I then tried voice commands for "enable dark mode", "turn dark mode on", etc., none of them worked, google responded that this feature is not available. Would be nice if in the future there was a way to enable dark mode, whether automated by ambient light or dawn/dusk settings, or via voice command. The feature is there, just need a better way to access it.
Did anyone try "turn on NIGHT mode" yet?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Does anyone know or remember if the "open settings" command used to open the same settings menu as pushing the "settings" button? I've never tried the "open settings" command until I saw this thread.

·
Registered
2022 Volvo C40 Fjord Blue Pure Electric Recharge Ultimat
833 Posts
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but there's a weird little settings menu that comes up when you use the voice command "open settings." I haven't figured out any other way to open it. Tapping "More" in this menu will open up the full settings menu just like tapping the gear icon normally. You can toggle "Night mode" in here, which puts the center display map into night/dark mode. I guess you can also adjust the contrast, but I haven't tried that yet.

It’s the dark underground tread carefully!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Will this make the infotainment system on dark mode at all times regardless of the lighting conditions? Will it also turn and keep dark the center display map?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I hope that sometime soon, Volvo makes dark mode easily accessible as an option, and includes a dimming/brightness control for both day & dark modes.

I have to admit I'm a bit uneasy about leaving it enabled in the "special" settings menu that was recently found. My concern is that Volvo releases an update (not a formal V2.x update, but rather a patch which does not required user consent or even knowledge) to disable our ability to reach the "special" settings, and thus our ability to enable/disable dark mode. Might be nothing to be concerned about, but $hit and unintended consequences do happen from time to time.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
1,268 Posts
Will this make the infotainment system on dark mode at all times regardless of the lighting conditions? Will it also turn and keep dark the center display map?
We tried it and with the map on the centre display, it goes dark when you enable it, but next time you get in the car it's back to normal, so we found we had to do it every time we get in...didn't appear to save with driver settings. The funny thing is we were on a road trip, and I had read this post and asked my partner to try it...so he says "Hey Google: show settings"...no luck..."Hey Google: display settings"...Google spouts some obscure info from Wikipedia...so I had to come back into the thread and tell him to use "Hey Google: open settings"...delay, nothing, so he gets grumpy and says "open the g*d-d*mn mother f**king settings"...and sure enough, it comes up LOL. I said "we need to put a post-it note on the screen that says "open settings" and he says, no, it needs to say "open the g*d-d*mn mother f**king settings" LOL. We had a good laugh anyway, especially given he very rarely swears!

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Pure Elec. Ultimate
188 Posts
We tried it and with the map on the centre display, it goes dark when you enable it, but next time you get in the car it's back to normal, so we found we had to do it every time we get in
When you say center display... you mean the one in the middle of the dash? Or the one infront of the driver behind the steering wheel?

I played with it, and now the map infront of me (behind the steering wheels) is always dark. I haven't noticed the map on the entertainment unit.

Also fun fact, you can't use the "open settings" voice command while driving, only while parked. Well that's my experience anyway. If I try to do it when driving, it tries to connect to the Xbox at home. If I do it when parked, then it works and brings up the hidden menu.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
When you say center display... you mean the one in the middle of the dash? Or the one infront of the driver behind the steering wheel?

I played with it, and now the map infront of me (behind the steering wheels) is always dark. I haven't noticed the map on the entertainment unit.

Also fun fact, you can't use the "open settings" voice command while driving, only while parked. Well that's my experience anyway. If I try to do it when driving, it tries to connect to the Xbox at home. If I do it when parked, then it works and brings up the hidden menu.
I was referring to the Google map display on the centre console touch screen, not the driver's display behind the steering wheel. I think that one (driver's display map) is always black/dark theme. Funny, we were able to get Google Assistant to do the "open settings" while driving...

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Pure Elec. Ultimate
188 Posts
I think that one (driver's display map) is always black/dark theme
Ohh...LOL ok. Maybe I'm confused then. I put the dark mode on and then "noticed" my drivers display map was dark. I thought "Oh cool". Maybe it has been dark the whole time. LOL I then turned dark mode off but noticed the drivers display was still dark.

I'll have to check the center display map tomorrow during the day. haha

·
Registered
83 Posts
Ohh...LOL ok. Maybe I'm confused then. I put the dark mode on and then "noticed" my drivers display map was dark. I thought "Oh cool". Maybe it has been dark the whole time. LOL I then turned dark mode off but noticed the drivers display was still dark.

I'll have to check the center display map tomorrow during the day. haha
it auto darks when the light sensor turns on the auto headlights

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
it auto darks when the light sensor turns on the auto headlights
Yes, for the centre touch screen map display, but doesn't the driver's instrument panel maps display always have a black background? I can't recall - maybe I'm going mad! ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts