Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set the Current Limit (amps) in Charge Options to 24 amp for a 30 amp circuit. I came back later and the line is now shaded and shows 6 amps. I rebooted the system by holding the center button down for 20 seconds. I also turned the car off through the menu. The car charged at 24 amp limit but this option remains shaded at 6 amps. I cannot change the setting. Has anyone seen this? Anyone solved this?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I set the Current Limit (amps) in Charge Options to 24 amp for a 30 amp circuit. I came back later and the line is now shaded and shows 6 amps. I rebooted the system by holding the center button down for 20 seconds. I also turned the car off through the menu. The car charged at 24 amp limit but this option remains shaded at 6 amps. I cannot change the setting. Has anyone seen this? Anyone solved this?
I would unplug the charging cable and try setting the car back to the full 48A and leaving it there unless you deliberately want to charge at a slower pace. All power going to the car's onboard charger should already have been safeguarded by the circuit breaker on your wall panel and not at the endpoint via those in-car settings. Example: my 50A circuit breaker on the power panel protects a 240V line tied to a 80A Tesla wall charger, which I've set to produce 32A going to the XC40 - I've got the in-car settings of the XC40 to the full 48A without any ensuing issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would unplug the charging cable and try setting the car back to the full 48A and leaving it there unless you deliberately want to charge at a slower pace. All power going to the car's onboard charger should already have been safeguarded by the circuit breaker on your wall panel and not at the endpoint via those in-car settings. Example: my 50A circuit breaker on the power panel protects a 240V line tied to a 80A Tesla wall charger, which I've set to produce 32A going to the XC40 - I've got the in-car settings of the XC40 to the full 48A without any ensuing issue.
Thsnks. I am using the charger that came with the car plugged into a 30A circuit so I need to limit the charging rate thru the car. I can no longer change the in-car amp menu setting as it is grayed out.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Have you tried using a different key phob?

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue - 01/21
38 Posts
I had a similar, but slightly different issue setting the charge rate. I had a 240v plug installed on a 40amp breaker to use the charging cable that came with the car and wanted to set my charge rate on the car at 32amps. I did this on the centre screen and had the maximum charge set to 90%. When I plugged in the charger the driver's display said it was charging to full and it started charging at 39 amps. The indicator on the driver's display showed 39/0. All the while the centre display indicated my choice of 32amps and 90%. I stopped the charge, rebooted the system, and then restarted the charge with the same result. After that I stopped the charge again and let the car have a nap. When I tried again about 30 minutes later it seemed to work fine with my 32am 90% selections. It then displayed 31/32 and said "charging to 90%."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a similar, but slightly different issue setting the charge rate. I had a 240v plug installed on a 40amp breaker to use the charging cable that came with the car and wanted to set my charge rate on the car at 32amps. I did this on the centre screen and had the maximum charge set to 90%. When I plugged in the charger the driver's display said it was charging to full and it started charging at 39 amps. The indicator on the driver's display showed 39/0. All the while the centre display indicated my choice of 32amps and 90%. I stopped the charge, rebooted the system, and then restarted the charge with the same result. After that I stopped the charge again and let the car have a nap. When I tried again about 30 minutes later it seemed to work fine with my 32am 90% selections. It then displayed 31/32 and said "charging to 90%."
Requiring the car take a nap cannot be the solution! After my initial grayed out of the charging level, it has not happened again. Of course I have only charged one more time at home and once at a fast charger

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue - 01/21
38 Posts
I haven't charged at all since that happened two days ago so I don't know how this will go from here. I have yet to try a fast charger either. I need to do that soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Requiring the car take a nap cannot be the solution! After my initial grayed out of the charging level, it has not happened again. Of course I have only charged one more time at home and once at a fast charger
Any more issues with greyed out charging limit? Exact same thing happened to me today. Was it using a second key that reset it? Not sure what this mystical "car nap" is haha

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
140 Posts
Any more issues with greyed out charging limit? Exact same thing happened to me today. Was it using a second key that reset it? Not sure what this mystical "car nap" is haha
I had a similar incident awhile ago when I decided to lower my charge level at home to 80 instead of 90, so after plugging in I got back into car and tried to change it to 80 which it wouldn't do ( can't remember if it was greyed out). So after disconnecting and trying again with no luck I drove around the block and then lowered the setting to 80 before getting out of the car and plugging in and everything worked like it should.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This has been one of the symptoms our car has when a module was in "deep sleep." It hasn't recurred since the dealer had it for a few days and reset things.

I wish I felt more confident in this car. It's my husband's (and he's a surgeon) and it has to be in good working order anytime, day or night. I've already told him if he ever find that it's not functional to just take my car and don't think twice, I'll miss work.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Actually the car taking a nap is equivalent to unplugging an electronic device and letting it power down at the component level. There is reason so ma g devices are “fixed” by unplugging them.

It is a shame that it is a necessary thing but it for many things. And our cars are giant android devices after all :)

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
155 Posts
Actually the car taking a nap is equivalent to unplugging an electronic device and letting it power down at the component level. There is reason so ma g devices are “fixed” by unplugging them.

It is a shame that it is a necessary thing but it for many things. And our cars are giant android devices after all :)
But for those devices that need occasional rebooting, you have control over initiating the process and it's done a minute or two later. What happens with these cars is the result of buggy code or glitchy hardware, not a feature.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2021 P8
28 Posts
Yeah I’ve had this happen a couple of times. Usually it’s when none of the connectivity works, can’t get the modem to reboot, etc. It seems to go away after a few hours, but it’s really unacceptable — especially if you need to adjust the draw on a lower amperage outlet away from home.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yeah I’ve had this happen a couple of times. Usually it’s when none of the connectivity works, can’t get the modem to reboot, etc. It seems to go away after a few hours, but it’s really unacceptable — especially if you need to adjust the draw on a lower amperage outlet away from home.
Do people use lower amperage settings to charge away from home? Never met a public charger that cared. Or Are you charging at friends ?

·
Registered
2021 P8
28 Posts
Do people use lower amperage settings to charge away from home? Never met a public charger that cared. Or Are you charging at friends ?
Yeah, away from home. The portable cord will draw as much as it can, and since at home we do 48A I can’t have that pull on a 120V at my folks’ place which will only do 12A on a standard outlet.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Gotcha. I have the cord with me all the while but I assume the amount you get over it is so low that I might as well just do a few mins at a 150 later.

I can see how not fusing your folks power would be … preferable :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
When it happened to our car, it dropped to 6 amps (which we never would set it to) all on its own.
they really need to try to squash whatever bugs are causing this — and if they can’t do that 100%, they need to make it so the customer can initiate some sort of process to “wake” the narcoleptic modules up on demand.

Reactions: cinnamontoast

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same thing happened to me just this weekend. Although it still Charged faster than 6 amps, it was greyed out and I couldn't change it back up to 40. You can see where it's pulling almost 40a, but it's greyed out saying 6. This happened at the same time my LTE/GPS stopped working again.
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 37 Posts