Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was silent when brand new and now 2000 miles later the plastic around the entertainment unit creaks and pops as I'm going down the road. It's a symphony of quiet crackles that I don't think I can fix because it's seems to be many different spots. Anyone else have this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are about at the same number of miles and have loaned the our car to our 26 year old daughter briefly over the holidays. She drives cars like they are all rentals... I have noticed the same "quiet crackles" you are describing. I noticed the same thing on my Acura TL-S. In the Acura scenario someone on a forum explained that is the reason for the high end Bose sound systems, to mask those noises with such a quiet Honda engine... I figure the same will apply here.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are about at the same number of miles and have loaned the our car to our 26 year old daughter briefly over the holidays. She drives cars like they are all rentals... I have noticed the same "quiet crackles" you are describing. I noticed the same thing on my Acura TL-S. In the Acura scenario someone on a forum explained that is the reason for the high end Bose sound systems, to mask those noises with such a quiet Honda engine... I figure the same will apply here.. :rolleyes:
Yeah I don't listen to music much but I have found myself firing up Spotify so I don't need to hear the little pops and rattles from every little pothole. I wouldn't blame your daughter though. I am very careful to drive carefully and avoid bumps. It just seems like the interior had loosened up since it was brand new and the temp dropping might have had an effect as well.

·
Super Moderator
2019 T5 R-Design
310 Posts
Take it in. I have 50k miles on potholed midwestern roads and don’t hear a thing from the interior. What you’re describing would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
A couple of others on here had a similar sounding problem they solved it with velvet pads.

Good luck, it would drive me nuts as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple of others on here had a similar sounding problem they solved it with velvet pads.

Good luck, it would drive me nuts as well.
From looking at the locations and the plastic used, my opinion is every xc40 is susceptible to it. I think it's just a matter of time and temperature unfortunately.

·
Registered
'22 XC40 Recharge Ultimate
99 Posts
Attempt two in trying to fix the creaking sound. Bought these soft plastic bumpers with adhesive backs and inserted one in the corner between the plastic consoles. So far it’s been quiet.
Nice work! Would you mind sharing a photo showing where you installed the bumpers? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Jrainlay

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There is another thread in this as well. The velvet using thread. I wonder what works best.

I suppose the answer is not velvet or plastic but a car that does not squeak :p

Reactions: Jrainlay

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you look at the picture, it shows the console. I placed the piece right about where the grey part of the cardboard from the package lines up with the console.
Did this work? Mine creaks every time I brake! The tail of the upper plastic piece on mine also moves slightly when I push on it. The left side is solid. Is yours assembled like this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts