Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 XC40 with less then 10K miles. Within a month of purchasing it, the windshield cracked on driver side across one third of the windshield. It just happened. No sound of a stone hitting or anything else. Got out of the car at a store and when I returned, the crack was there. I went to Volvo dealer service desk. Asked if it was covered under warranty. The service person retrieved a pen, glass cleaner and paper towel. He cleaned off the windshield and ran the pen tip across the crack on the outside of the windshield. He suddenly said, that is where the stone hit the windshield. Apparently he felt something through the tip of the pen. I could not see anything. I ran the pen across the crack just as the service person did. He said this is a matter for your insurance company. I had the windshield replaced through the insurance company. From there, I left NH to drive to Fla. for a three week vacation. Within 8 days of getting the windshield replaced, a very similar crack appears on the windshield.

I call the insurance company, they forward me to the glass company. The glass company tells me they will have to look at the windshield. They are in NH and I am in Fla. The assure me the windshield will not blow in on me on the way home, so I have to wait until I get home for them to look at it. Ok, I have basically a brand new car that I bought with this trip in mind. Now I have to drive 27 hours staring at the crack in the windshield as it grows across my vision.

I am thinking the crack in the windshields is a stress crack and the windshields should be covered under Volvo warranty. What is the likely hood this would happen twice within a 10 day period? Otherwise, the car has performed perfectly and the drive was smooth and comfortable. Has anyone else had the same issue with their XC40?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My windshield wasn't cracked but a dent appeared after some months driving the car.

It was from a stone, surely, but I was a bit confused how I could have not noticed the impact.

Now you say that, in your case, a pen had to be ran through the crack in your windshield to find a micro point where a very small stone supposedly hit your windshield, undetected by you.

I am starting to get the feeling that these windshields are not as robust as they should be.

Much more than a mere question of warranties, I am starting to worry about the safety performance of this particular component.

Let's see who else chimes in...

WV

·
Registered
77 Posts
We had a stone chip in our windshield a few weeks ago. Driving down the road and didn't see another vehicle anywhere when we heard a loud sharp crack on the passenger side of the windshield. We were very surprised. My wife took it to a windshield repair place that afternoon and they did their patch/repair. It is not noticable and we have not noticed a crack or spread of any kind since then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had not used the car for many days, went out in the morning to wash it and found a crack running from left of screen to about a third of the way across. I think it could be a impact stone or something much earlier but stress from maybe a change in weather ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts