Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had this problem?
The glass in the panoramic sunroof has a crack across the corner maybe 15 cms long. The car is less than a year old
There is no sign of impact on either side of the glass
Local dealer spoke to Volvo initially who said it will have been caused by an impact. My dealer said they cannot see any evidence of impact and have sent in a report. I am waiting to hear back!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is this result of the car setting in the sun with the sunshade closed. I'm just asking because I had mentioned this problem with some friends and they thought that might be the problem. My car is garaged all the time. But I have given this some thought because the car is left out during the day in the sun. Volvo has an automatic setting that will cause the sunscreen to close if the setting is on. I think that is a good idea, but I am afraid to use it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will J
No that would not be the problem because the crack appeared sometime over the winter
The sunscreen was closed but the sun would not have been strong enough!
Kim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Count me in. My car is at the dealer now due to a stress crack between the panes in my panoramic sunroof. No impact or accident either. This is probably my 4th visit to fix problems In the past 18 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interns
Count me in. My car is at the dealer now due to a stress crack between the panes in my panoramic sunroof. No impact or accident either. This is probably my 4th visit to fix problems In the past 18 months.
Very interesting! Can I ask if Volvo are sorting out the sunroof problem or are you claiming on your insurance??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Kim. They claimed it was due to impact and the way they found that out was by running a machine over my sunroof to find the contact point. . No visible sign.. They asked me for 1k to fix this.
The crazy thing is i'm driving my car to the supermarket and back. That's about it during the pandemic. How much impact is needed for me not to notice and yet cause major cracks in a luxury car sunroof? My guess is it's temperature related. According to the message boards there have been issues with panoramic sunroofs, and Volvo's in particular, over the years. Regardless i will contact Volvo corporate and see if there is anything they can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just happened to me. I have an appointment tomorrow. I am really hoping they do not tell me I have to pay out of pocket. This seems to be a design or materials defect. I am out of town, took my 2020 for my first road trip to visit family. My son and I noticed the crack during our 500 mi road trip but I have no idea when it happened. I have had the sun screen closed because it's been very hot where I live. The person who answered the service line at the dealer said that he sees this somewhat frequently, but only with the 40s. I asked if it is heat-related, he said iit is caused by cabin pressure or vibration. Has anyone gotten this resolved without paying out of pocket?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Unikitty
Sorry to hear that you have also had this problem!
I still have not managed to get this sorted. I reported the problem in the beginning of May and I'm still awaiting a reply from Volvo
I rang today and have been assured they will return my call tomorrow!!
I will update on here as soon as I have any further info
Regards
Kim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts