Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were recently caught up in Hurricane Ida and lost power. So the first two nights, we tried to sleep in the back of my P8 with the AC. The problem was that it kept cutting off at different intervals. Didn’t matter what temp or fan speed I set. I first placed a backpack in the driver’s seat and increased the weight with a kettlebell. Didn’t make a difference. I had to keep restarting the AC that appeared to go in sleep mode after a period. So we gave up and slept in our ICE vehicle the last night. Space wise, it was a little tight but had enough space for my wife and I along with two small dogs. We used a futon mattress that wasn’t too comfortable but it certainly could be reasonably comfortable with a better mattress. Good news is that my problem with my GPS and LTE being out fixed itself after not being charged for two days. So perhaps constant charging doesn’t allow the system to fully rest and reset. Not sure. But that was one positive that came out of this experience so far. So I’m about to cancel my dealer appointment. Not that it was going to happen with no power expected for several weeks.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
121 Posts
We were recently caught up in Hurricane Ida and lost power. So the first two nights, we tried to sleep in the back of my P8 with the AC. The problem was that it kept cutting off at different intervals. Didn’t matter what temp or fan speed I set. I first placed a backpack in the driver’s seat and increased the weight with a kettlebell. Didn’t make a difference. I had to keep restarting the AC that appeared to go in sleep mode after a period. So we gave up and slept in our ICE vehicle the last night. Space wise, it was a little tight but had enough space for my wife and I along with two small dogs. We used a futon mattress that wasn’t too comfortable but it certainly could be reasonably comfortable with a better mattress. Good news is that my problem with my GPS and LTE being out fixed itself after not being charged for two days. So perhaps constant charging doesn’t allow the system to fully rest and reset. Not sure. But that was one positive that came out of this experience so far. So I’m about to cancel my dealer appointment. Not that it was going to happen with no power expected for several weeks.
Doesn't happen with a Tesla. We have "Camp" mode which will run all night or until the battery drops to 20%. No "weight" system for seats.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Sorry to hear you were in ida. Sad to hear the weight on the seat did not work.

Stupid question but did you also put it in drive? For it to be “on” i think it needs to sense a person in the seat and be in forward or reverse which with opd is fine.

Next time I go to the gym I will leave it in drive with the keys in the car (wince) and a jacket on the seat and see if it stays on when I lock it with one of the spouses keys.

Okay that sounds like the perfect storm for getting the car stollen. I cannot see why it would switch off if it is in drive going to leave the experiment until I am in the car or someone else does it :)

Good luck with the aftermath of the storm.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge, Thunder Grey
3 Posts
I haven't tried this yet, but when you swipe left in the HVAC screen, there's some more options to start HVAC manually or on a schedule. Does starting from this screen allow it to run without a driver present?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo P8. MFD 1/21. 20" ride. OTA 11/02. White aka ORKA.
691 Posts
I love the fact that there are proven functionalities through Tesla which had many years of head start, but even so, we definitely know they EXIST and functioning well.... not asking Volvo to create impossible "wants" like.....built-in vacuum perhaps one cup size container, more than enough for DOGGY HAIR, a quick "clean"..... or some ICE has coolant glove compartment.... NOT a need, just "nice to have"..... it's the little, little "wow effect" that makes it even more enjoyable and "special"...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts