Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm located in the northeast US (snow!), and am new to Volvos. I've owned plenty of BMWs, Land Rovers and Jeeps in the past, but the XC40 really caught my eye when shopping for a new smallish SUV.. I'm looking for a first car my teenage daughter, and loved the safety profile of the XC40, as well as the size/AWD, etc.

Some questions:
I'm looking at the Momentum trim-- I test drove a 2019 CPO today. Should I be looking at used? New? Price point isn't very different but the CPO warranty program looks good too... Or should I say the heck with the XC40 and just get her a Honda CVR LOL.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2019 XC40 T5 Momentum AWD Fusion Red
7 Posts
We picked up a CPO 2019 in early December. My wife loves it, but to be honest right now we're not driving a lot so it's difficult to really judge. How will it hold up? No idea. It's a new design and the amount of tech always has me worried. The Volvo warranty seems decent and we got it extended out to 2027. Curious what this car will be like at 75k~100k miles. Of course, the other question is what Volvo will be in 2027 with current ownership.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Right at this moment, used car prices are at record highs and leasing is at record lows. I would NEVER buy a used car right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leasing a car for a teenage driver sounds expensive when it inevitably gets smashed up

·
Registered
76 Posts
Leasing a car for a teenage driver sounds expensive when it inevitably gets smashed up
I convinced my now 19-year old to wait a few years to drive. Yes, he wasn't happy with me during those 2 years, but he is now a very responsible driver and would be confident in him driving a leased vehicle. It is stunning to me that parents allow an inexperienced 16 year old to drive any car. Most are way too inexperienced mentally for such a responsible task.

·
Registered
2020 T5 Momentum
35 Posts
Hi all,

I'm located in the northeast US (snow!), and am new to Volvos. I've owned plenty of BMWs, Land Rovers and Jeeps in the past, but the XC40 really caught my eye when shopping for a new smallish SUV.. I'm looking for a first car my teenage daughter, and loved the safety profile of the XC40, as well as the size/AWD, etc.

Some questions:
I'm looking at the Momentum trim-- I test drove a 2019 CPO today. Should I be looking at used? New? Price point isn't very different but the CPO warranty program looks good too... Or should I say the heck with the XC40 and just get her a Honda CVR LOL.

Thanks for the help!
I had a new 2020 XC40 Momentum and absolutely loved it. It is a fabulous car. Drives, rides, and handles really well. Quiet cabin. Good gas mileage. Lots of pep when needed. All the latest safety features, which I’d be sure the Teen knows and understands. So as far as the car—I wouldn’t hesitate to get it. I discovered it was a bit small in the driver cockpit for me and we’ll be doing some long trips once we’re vaccinated so I traded for an XC60 Inscription. Other than the seat size and driver space as I mentioned, I was thrilled with the car in every way. I should have been smarter about the size issue and talked myself into it because of the car itself. I had the Thunder Grey with the red leather. Sharp car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all,

Some questions:

Thanks for the help!
Get a Honda CRV- they really are very dependable and hold their value. I’m not impressed with my xc40, previous BMW owner for years. What a noticeable difference. Cabin noise, substandard quality for a Volvo. I’m told this model is different from the xc60 or 90. Honda all the way....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I convinced my now 19-year old to wait a few years to drive. Yes, he wasn't happy with me during those 2 years, but he is now a very responsible driver and would be confident in him driving a leased vehicle. It is stunning to me that parents allow an inexperienced 16 year old to drive any car. Most are way too inexperienced mentally for such a responsible task.
OK. We have a different approach to life. I have been teaching my daughter to drive on trails, beaches, and parking lots since she was 13. She is responsible, and excited to learn more. She's ready (as I was at 16). IMO, life is all about reps; practice, etc. You don't get better in life by sitting on the sidelines...

I had a new 2020 XC40 Momentum and absolutely loved it. It is a fabulous car. Drives, rides, and handles really well. Quiet cabin. Good gas mileage. Lots of pep when needed. All the latest safety features, which I’d be sure the Teen knows and understands. So as far as the car—I wouldn’t hesitate to get it. I discovered it was a bit small in the driver cockpit for me and we’ll be doing some long trips once we’re vaccinated so I traded for an XC60 Inscription. Other than the seat size and driver space as I mentioned, I was thrilled with the car in every way. I should have been smarter about the size issue and talked myself into it because of the car itself. I had the Thunder Grey with the red leather. Sharp car.
Appreciate the help, thanks!

Get a Honda CRV- they really are very dependable and hold their value. I’m not impressed with my xc40, previous BMW owner for years. What a noticeable difference. Cabin noise, substandard quality for a Volvo. I’m told this model is different from the xc60 or 90. Honda all the way....
Thanks for the insight. Have owned many BMWs over the years... My daughter and I test drove the CRV yesterday, and was really underwhelmed. We then drove the Rav4 and likes it a lot more than the CRV. Also have driven the Mazda CX5 (liked), and the Jeep Cherokee (meh). I think I'm down to the XC40 and Rav4 at this point.

Appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all,

Some questions:

Thanks for the help!
Hello! Here's my perspective. We've always owned BMWs, and several Honda cars. At the time that both kids were new drivers we were driving BMWs - 5 series and 3 series. Both kids are now adults and are great drivers. My thought is that driving a BMW teaches you to control the car better, the cars are more forgiving in my opinion. You can feel the road better. I'm driving my 1st Volvo XC40 and I love the seats. Still can't help but compare the XC40 to a BMW as I've been driving BMWs for many years. I've also owned a Honda CRV and though it's AWD - it really has to do with tires when it comes to driving in the snow, I didn't feel confident driving the Honda CRV. I would still rather drive an X1 in the snow than a Honda CRV. Although the XC40 is a bit heavier than the X1, I felt more confident driving a BMW in the snow - whether the X1 or the 330i with Nokian Hakapelitta snow tires. Yes, I'm still working on gaining more confidence with the XC40 in the snow covered roads. That being said, I would recommend look at a CPO X1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello! Here's my perspective. We've always owned BMWs, and several Honda cars. At the time that both kids were new drivers we were driving BMWs - 5 series and 3 series. Both kids are now adults and are great drivers. My thought is that driving a BMW teaches you to control the car better, the cars are more forgiving in my opinion. You can feel the road better. I'm driving my 1st Volvo XC40 and I love the seats. Still can't help but compare the XC40 to a BMW as I've been driving BMWs for many years. I've also owned a Honda CRV and though it's AWD - it really has to do with tires when it comes to driving in the snow, I didn't feel confident driving the Honda CRV. I would still rather drive an X1 in the snow than a Honda CRV. Although the XC40 is a bit heavier than the X1, I felt more confident driving a BMW in the snow - whether the X1 or the 330i with Nokian Hakapelitta snow tires. Yes, I'm still working on gaining more confidence with the XC40 in the snow covered roads. That being said, I would recommend look at a CPO X1.

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. We're in a similar car situation now--longtime BMW owner: I currently drive a 5 series and my wife drives an X3. My 16 year old daughter has been driving with my wife in the X3 a lot and she loves the X3... I had toyed with getting my wife a new car (she wants a Defender 110 LOL), and giving my daughter the X3--but I'm again coming back to not wanting to give a 16 year old a BMW... I'm also with you on the tires--I put Vredestein (or Michelin, or Nokian) snow tires on the X3 and I drive a Wrangler JLU during the winter and garage the 5 (and my old 3 series, manual convertible). As for the BMW X1 or X2 -- dont t love them. Probably because I was coming from X3/X5/5 series and was annoyed by the smaller screen, stripped down features of the X1.

Anyhow, I pulled the trigger on the 10k mile CPO T5 XC40 Momentum... and I love it so far. I ordered a set of Michelin X-Ice for the 18" wheels it came with, and will probably just order another set of 18" wheels for the all-season tires for the rest of the year. It had just enough options (but not too many) for a first car. I think the infotainment center is fairly easy to use as well... Picked her up the other day in a snowstorm and drove her home..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts