Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone find connecting to home WiFi useful? It seems when the car is asleep/off, the WiFi always disconnect so it really is not useful for anything.

Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2021
Having virtually no mobile signal at home it is useful for putting a route into maps before setting off. It would be helpful if the WiFi was connected when charging cable was connected as I would be able to see the current charge state without having to go to the car, if the app ever starts working 馃槃

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
But download speed - especially on a 5GHz band - is significantly faster than LTE. YMMV based on you home network鈥檚 speed. I have Gigabit internet and am glad I figured out how to connect to my home Wi-Fi (single band and no spaces or lower dashes 鈥榑鈥 in SSID name). That鈥檚 what works for me. Again, YMMV.

Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
But download speed - especially on a 5GHz band - is significantly faster than LTE. YMMV based on you home network鈥檚 speed. I have Gigabit internet and am glad I figured out how to connect to my home Wi-Fi (single band and no spaces or lower dashes 鈥榑鈥 in SSID name). That鈥檚 what works for me. Again, YMMV.
I just bought a P8 on Sunday. I haven't managed to get it to connect to my home Wifi, only my mobile hot spot.

When I went to the "Available Networks" nothing showed from home system but it populated with my hot spot when I turned it on.

Registered
I just bought a P8 on Sunday. I haven't managed to get it to connect to my home Wifi, only my mobile hot spot.

When I went to the "Available Networks" nothing showed from home system but it populated with my hot spot when I turned it on.
Dozens of posts here already about this. Try setting up a separate, 2.4GHz-only network (or 5Ghz-only if you're close enough) on your wi-fi router. The P8's wifi has problems seeing certain types of dual-band router networks.

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge

In addition to what BainbridgeIsland suggested, make sure you aren't including an spaces or lower dashes in your SSID. For example, even with a single band SSID, the P8 would not see ASUS_2G_Guest but does see and connect to ASUS2GGuest. If a single band channel with a super simple SSID doesn't work, there are other suggestions in this forum (but I found that I did not have to employ those).

Registered
2021 XC40 P8 Recharge
In addition to what BainbridgeIsland suggested, make sure you aren't including an spaces or lower dashes in your SSID. For example, even with a single band SSID, the P8 would not see ASUS_2G_Guest but does see and connect to ASUS2GGuest. If a single band channel with a super simple SSID doesn't work, there are other suggestions in this forum (but I found that I did not have to employ those).
Thanks. My network has a name like "Starwars", so according to above that should not create an issue.

Strangely, my router/modem is literally in the room right next to the garage and I verified the the 2.4 ghz signal strength and it should be in spec for almost any device to see and connect to.

I will look for the others posts to see what other things I need to try.

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
Thanks. My network has a name like "Starwars", so according to above that should not create an issue.

Strangely, my router/modem is literally in the room right next to the garage and I verified the the 2.4 ghz signal strength and it should be in spec for almost any device to see and connect to.

I will look for the others posts to see what other things I need to try.
Do you have a dedicated 2.4GHz channel? If not, you will likely not be able to connect. If you are using a (typical) dual - both 2.4GHz and 5GHz - band channel then the radio/Wi-Fi modem/chip in the P8 will not connect to it. The easiest solution I found was setting up single-band guest SSIDs (I first set up a 2.4GHz one and then a 5GHz one and they both work). The P8 connects to both a single-band 2.4GHz channel and a 5GHz once I did that. If you do have a single-band 2.4GHz band and you still are having problems, then check out some of the other suggestions.

Registered

Same here?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts