Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought out my XC40 after the subscription came due in August. While I do really like the car, I bought it because the subscription was such a rip off (after expensive Chicago lease tax) I figured I need to drive the car a couple more years to balance out some of those heavy losses in the first two years.

Anyway.. now I’m sort of regretting it. The suspension started squeaking over bumps last weekend. Now that’s stopped but it still feels off. The dealer has never been able to find the source of a wobble up front, although they didn’t try hard. Nor can they find the source of a wind noise at speed. I think it’s related to the sunroof or passenger door seal. I’ve already had the rear hatch handle replaced twice.

Frankly the car doesn’t feel exceedingly well built or reliable. And when I just got online to book an appointment for the suspension, I noticed it was prematurely offering me the 40k service, which will be the first I pay for. The cost? $990! Are you effing kidding me? A grand to change the oil and take a look around? If I’m going to pay $50k for a car this issue-prone and expensive to service, give me a BMW any day!

·
Registered
60 Posts
The XC40 reminds me of the Lexus RX lineup... fantastic during the lease period - then awful just after.

I would try to sell your car... right now, used-car prices are at record highs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree about the OP selling his vehicle, based on Jezza's previous posts we all can see the terrible experience he outlined regarding his XC40. You can see all of his posts from the past, very interesting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The sound could be related to the sunroof - especially if it sounds like popcorn/gurgling while driving in the rain. They need to extend the drain tubes on the sunroof -- it's a 1hr repair and covered under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The sound could be related to the sunroof - especially if it sounds like popcorn/gurgling while driving in the rain. They need to extend the drain tubes on the sunroof -- it's a 1hr repair and covered under warranty.
Thanks. I already had that repair done a while back too. Sadly this has been one of the least reliable cars I’ve owned. Especially unfortunate because it’s been among those I’ve liked the most.

·
Super Moderator
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are the issues so far, after 2 1/4 years and 33k miles:

• Rear hatch handle broke and replaced twice
  • Sunroof drain replaced with new part due to faulty design (and apparently insufficient road testing before this car was released)
  • Front rotors prematurely warped and replaced at 26k miles
  • Alignment or other still-unknown suspension issue causing shake up front since 20k miles. Dealer has never diagnosed, blamed tires.
  • Wind noise from passenger door area at highway speeds. Dealer has no idea.
  • Suspension has new issue; steering loose and front end less firm. First available service appointment at dealer is over 3 weeks away.

I will probably take your advice and sell the car as soon as it’s fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just bought out my XC40 after the subscription came due in August. While I do really like the car, I bought it because the subscription was such a rip off (after expensive Chicago lease tax) I figured I need to drive the car a couple more years to balance out some of those heavy losses in the first two years.

Anyway.. now I’m sort of regretting it. The suspension started squeaking over bumps last weekend. Now that’s stopped but it still feels off. The dealer has never been able to find the source of a wobble up front, although they didn’t try hard. Nor can they find the source of a wind noise at speed. I think it’s related to the sunroof or passenger door seal. I’ve already had the rear hatch handle replaced twice.

Frankly the car doesn’t feel exceedingly well built or reliable. And when I just got online to book an appointment for the suspension, I noticed it was prematurely offering me the 40k service, which will be the first I pay for. The cost? $990! Are you effing kidding me? A grand to change the oil and take a look around? If I’m going to pay $50k for a car this issue-prone and expensive to service, give me a BMW any day!
Yup, I’ve driven beemers for years and decided I needed a change. I miss my Bmw feel, dependability and all around solid feel. Ugh!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
We have the wind noise at the rear door to on the driver side. Was there when we first got it and went away. Last highway trip we had a week ago and it was back. I think it might just be the door seal. Will try some silicon spray on it this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts