Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
My brand new xc40 2022 recharge has similar issue, cold wind blowing through the front doors, especially near the floor. After an hour driving my left leg is completely frozen, same issue on passenger side. I would say this is clear design flaw of the door, cheap design. I took the car back to the dealer and they admitted they were able to reproduce the issue. They resealed the plastic door panel, which seems to help. I would fix the issue permanently by insulating the door properly.
That seems to explain the issue Soren described, who started this discussion.
Quite disappointing for a car that has been designed from a Scandinavian company...
I did not have the feeling that air leaks from the door even though the temperatures around this area seem to be quite low as visible on the thermal images..

·
Registered
3 Posts
That seems to explain the issue Soren described, who started this discussion.
Quite disappointing for a car that has been designed from a Scandinavian company...
I did not have the feeling that air leaks from the door even though the temperatures around this area seem to be quite low as visible on the thermal images..
In my case the hood release lever area was fine. Also car clearly started to feel warm when standing still on traffic lights.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I do not think it is a design issue or we would all have this problem. My car had been well temperature insulated from 118F to 18F.

However there seems to be a little quality control issue in making everyone’s seal right …

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
I do not think it is a design issue or we would all have this problem. My car had been well temperature insulated from 118F to 18F.

However there seems to be a little quality control issue in making everyone’s seal right …
Sounds like QC issues....
I wonder where my cold air is coming from as the air outlets are actually lower then the area where I feel the cold air coming from...
I will ask the dealer tomorrow...again..

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
So, I just returned from the dealer...
After being able to reproduce it, he had to admit that it is a design flaw. It's warm air that swirls in the footroom coming from the lower air outlets.
As it flows past the lower covers it cools down and flows back in the footroom.
It certainly doesn't help that the hood release area is a lot more colder than the rest.
To reproduce simply set the venting down (bottom) and you should be a able to feel the airflow...setting the venting to up or mid, you don't feel it anymore..
Suggested solution: putting foam behind the plastic covers..which I will do now..
It's a bit disappointing for a Euro 60k+ car I have to say.
But if you take a closer look under the dashboard it's obvious that Volvo didn't spend to much money there...

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
334 Posts
Very interesting. Could you take a picture of this, and indicate where you'll put the foam?

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
Sure, I used a foam that is nearly 2" thick..quite difficult to place it up there...cables and stuff everywhere...
I will report if it works under real conditions...running the vent full power and set to bottom was feeling ok...
Let's see how long it stays in place...maybe it needs a more professional approach...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Hood

Gas Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Tints and shades Auto part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did they replace the doorseals ?
They said the sealing was not done properly and they just fixed the sealing. I didn't get any paper or detailed description, but I believe they just added some more sealant. They were working several hours, which make me thinking they at least removed the door panels.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
After spending some time on the road I have to say that the foam therapy definitely improved the cold air issue. Also when range assistance is enabled it's still somehow comfy in the foot room.
It also didn't fall off yet...

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
So with temperatures below 0 C and feeling cold air around my left knee again, the hood release lever is getting back into focus unfortunately. The area where I placed the foam is all warm now, unlike before. But now there is some really cold air coming from the lever itself. The area above the lever under the plastic cover is warm now but where the lever disappears into the plastic cover is super cold and this air is flowing towards my knee...a bit dissapointing but it seems like I have to remove the lever to see what is behind... to be continued....

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
So with temperatures below 0 C and feeling cold air around my left knee again, the hood release lever is getting back into focus unfortunately. The area where I placed the foam is all warm now, unlike before. But now there is some really cold air coming from the lever itself. The area above the lever under the plastic cover is warm now but where the lever disappears into the plastic cover is super cold and this air is flowing towards my knee...a bit dissapointing but it seems like I have to remove the lever to see what is behind... to be continued....
Can Volvo not fix the draft? It is not meant to be like that.

·
Registered
‘22 XC40 Recharge Twin in Denim Blue MFD 6/21
333 Posts
I have felt the draft. I feel is some insulating issue.
I am hesitant to bring it in because they might cause more harm than good taking stuff apart.
Even though I feel it it doesn’t bother me that bad.
Could it be that the airflow outside the car could be creating some sort of pressure difference that translates to cold air movement?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I have felt the draft. I feel is some insulating issue.
I am hesitant to bring it in because they might cause more harm than good taking stuff apart.
Even though I feel it it doesn’t bother me that bad.
Could it be that the airflow outside the car could be creating some sort of pressure difference that translates to cold air movement?
Lots of things could cause it but it should not be happening. And is not happening for most people (I assume) or at least not me.

I can understand the reluctance of … car goes in for that and comes home with a yellow door or worse …

Perhaps they have a quick safe guaranteed simple fix?

My knees are glad Margo is not windy!!

Good luck

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
18 Posts
Absolutely; it shouldn't be like that! I never had this issue before on another car and I won't accept it.
My colleague's P8 has exactly the same issue but he usually drives with the heater higher than me and he doesn't use the Range Assistant because it's getting to cold in the foot room ;-)

I also think it's related to insulation...the non-driver side doesn't have this issue -> no hood lever there...
I will see the dealer on monday as I want 1.8.1 installed which hopefully fixes the wirless charger booth; so let's see what solution they are coming up with.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts