Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A climate issue in my XC40 Recharge P8 which I only notice now that it has gotten colder outside. I feel cold draught / air at my left knee when I sit in the driver's seat and have my leg bent up and leaning against the door. Have tried different settings in relation to fan direction, turned up the heat etc. without success. When I put my hand on the armrest by the buttons for side mirrors etc, I can feel cool air as opposed to the heat coming out of the heating nozzles. Others who experience the same or any tips?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Are you using air recirc?

I know old volvos used to proudly have external air entering the cabin (through filtration) is this the P8s version of this?

I have not noticed this behavoir on my car.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Maybe there is a leak or a non attached pipe …

Sounds like it might be a service visit time :( unless others are experiencing it.

Intrigued to know what is causing it.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
26 Posts
A climate issue in my XC40 Recharge P8 which I only notice now that it has gotten colder outside. I feel cold draught / air at my left knee when I sit in the driver's seat and have my leg bent up and leaning against the door. Have tried different settings in relation to fan direction, turned up the heat etc. without success. When I put my hand on the armrest by the buttons for side mirrors etc, I can feel cool air as opposed to the heat coming out of the heating nozzles. Others who experience the same or any tips?
As this post is already 2 months old, anything new on that issue ?
I'm having the exact same thing here; drives me crazy. I have the impression it comes from above the hood release lever. With the cold temperatures I can really feel cold air flowing in.
I brought it to the dealer and they told me everything seems to be fine (no wonder...) but I'm pretty sure they didn't even drive with the car.
I will probably tell them to look again as it's really uncomfortable. Friend of mine has exactly the same P8, 2 weeks older and was quickly driving with the car, exactly the same thing...
He obviously runs the heater higher than me, so he wasn't really aware of it until I told him.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately not. I have probably more closely located mine to come from below at the door panel where the door closes to the body. I can clearly feel a stream of air then going up against my thighs and knees. I am considering getting some sealing tape on the underside of the door (which is also used to seal windows). When it sits on the underside of the door it can not be seen from the outside I think. Will see if it can help.

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
26 Posts
Unfortunately not. I have probably more closely located mine to come from below at the door panel where the door closes to the body. I can clearly feel a stream of air then going up against my thighs and knees. I am considering getting some sealing tape on the underside of the door (which is also used to seal windows). When it sits on the underside of the door it can not be seen from the outside I think. Will see if it can help.
That's interesting; I never had the feeling it comes from the door. But I will check that again.
Keep me posted if the sealing tapes does change anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ever since I received my XC40, I have noticed my feet aren't as warm as I would like them to be. Last night, after reading this thread, I discovered an air leak coming from the above mentioned area. Because it was dark, I wasn't able to pin point the exact location but did notice that below 35mph, the leak diminishes significantly. Please keep us informed if you get any more information on the topic.

Wayne

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
26 Posts
Ever since I received my XC40, I have noticed my feet aren't as warm as I would like them to be. Last night, after reading this thread, I discovered an air leak coming from the above mentioned area. Because it was dark, I wasn't able to pin point the exact location but did notice that below 35mph, the leak diminishes significantly. Please keep us informed if you get any more information on the topic.

Wayne
Exactly, lower speeds less cold air flowing in, same here.
As in my case it seems to come from above the hood release lever, I can only imagine that it has something to do with this release mechanism as there is a cable going from inside the car to the hood. I will check that in the next days...

·
Registered
2021 Crystal White XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8
21 Posts
I was wondering why my knees were cold! Thanks for pointing it out.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Not having any air leak problems but still intrigued as to what is causing them.

A question. Do you set your ac (I know your not using it now but bare with me) to internal circ?

It defaults to external air. If it is ext. try switching to internal (so ac on internal recirc) then turn the fan back off.

Should do nothing but maybe an external airflow door is closed by this?

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
26 Posts
Not having any air leak problems but still intrigued as to what is causing them.

A question. Do you set your ac (I know your not using it now but bare with me) to internal circ?

It defaults to external air. If it is ext. try switching to internal (so ac on internal recirc) then turn the fan back off.

Should do nothing but maybe an external airflow door is closed by this?
When I first noticed this issue I was also thinking about an air flap not closing properly or not properly connected but the air inlet above the feet brings warm air all the time.
The cold air is coming from above the hood release lever, from somewhere under the covers, they actually end there and you see the cables and other stuff.
But I will set it to internal circle and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
301 Posts
I've been curious about the issue presented in this thread and I couldn't exactly replicate it on my vehicle. The outside temperature was -2°C and speed was 75-80km/h. I could feel a small amount of cool air near the hood release handle, but it wasn't much especially when I turned OFF the climate fan. Since the hood release components are much cooler to the touch by conduction, could it be that when the heater vent air passes by it, you feel the cold air?

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
26 Posts
I've been curious about the issue presented in this thread and I couldn't exactly replicate it on my vehicle. The outside temperature was -2°C and speed was 75-80km/h. I could feel a small amount of cool air near the hood release handle, but it wasn't much especially when I turned OFF the climate fan. Since the hood release components are much cooler to the touch by conduction, could it be that when the heater vent air passes by it, you feel the cold air?
Good point; I can also imagine that air from the air outlet above the feet (not inlet as I wrote before) flows through the plastic cover towards the release lever and cooling down..
I also thinks it makes a difference if the car is preheated or not. I had the impression when the car is really cold without preheating, the cold air flow is much more noticeable..
Would be more a design thing then actually..
But I got a Flir cam now from a friend; let's see what it shows....

·
Registered
XC40 P8 Recharge 2022
26 Posts
This is what the Bosch Thermal Cam GT 400C shows...temperatures in Degree Celsius..
Car after 15minutes of driving, standing still, Heater on. Even when the car is standing still I can feel the cold air coming from above the lever. When I switch off the venting, it stops after a short moment.
I will do the same after the car has been pre-heated as I had the impression that the cold air flow was diminished.

Driver side, looking up
Organism Font Line Technology Screenshot

Driver side, looking for cold only
Font Map Technology Electric blue Space

Door
Font Aqua Electric blue Circle Logo

Passenger Side, lowest temp is about 2 to 3 degrees Celsius higher, no cold airflow noticeable
Font Screenshot Display device Technology Electronic device

Driver Side, Pedals...lowest temp is where the steering axle comes up...no air flow from there though...
Azure Font Line Screenshot Electric blue

Difficult to say where it comes from....I don't think it's cold air coming from outside...especially after the cold air flow stops when turning the vent off..

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Can you take the same pics with normal camera. I will use my thermal next time I go out to see how mine compares.

Reactions: magnus87

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Super thanks.

As soon as I can make it to the car I will go out I go the cold and take a thermal look (unless someone beats me go it :)

I muss read you ~16.3 as -16.3 for a second. Was going to say nice temperatures!!

So coldest was 52f

What was the external temp?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My brand new xc40 2022 recharge has similar issue, cold wind blowing through the front doors, especially near the floor. After an hour driving my left leg is completely frozen, same issue on passenger side. I would say this is clear design flaw of the door, cheap design. I took the car back to the dealer and they admitted they were able to reproduce the issue. They resealed the plastic door panel, which seems to help. I would fix the issue permanently by insulating the door properly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts