Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this week-end temperature was below 7°C. And I got for the first time the little snowflake near the battery, and a warning on the screen saying that due to low temperature, the battery performance and car range are lowered.

So next time I started driving (same temperature)... I turned on remote heating in the car. Not only did it heat up the inside of the car (comfort)... but also the battery... and all that without using energy from the battery as the car was plugged in the wall socket.

All benefit! Think about it next time you plan to drive in cold weather.

· Registered
598 Posts
So this week-end temperature was below 7°C. And I got for the first time the little snowflake near the battery, and a warning on the screen saying that due to low temperature, the battery performance and car range are lowered.

So next time I started driving (same temperature)... I turned on remote heating in the car. Not only did it heat up the inside of the car (comfort)... but also the battery... and all that without using energy from the battery as the car was plugged in the wall socket.

This past weekend, I experienced a variation on the example you stated above. My ambient temperature was 22 degrees F (-5.5 degrees C.). Although I activated the preheat function 30 minutes prior to departure, the little snowflake was still visible near the battery. I used Google Maps to navigate to a DC fast charge station approximately 2 hours away. As I was approximately 30 minutes from the DC charge station, I noticed the snowflake disappeared as the heat pump warmed up the battery. I read how this function works, but this was my first time seeing the process in action. When I arrived at the station the charging was fast! Nice!

· Registered
104 Posts

I too have seen that "little snow flake near the battery" on several occasions, but only after I have driven the vehicle and about to exit it. I reside in Canada and we have had some mornings around the freezing point, but I have never seen the snow flake when I first get into the vehicle, only after I have driven it and about to exit it.

· Registered
2022 C40 Recharge Twin Ultimate
39 Posts
The battery do not preheat if it is not plugged, it will just preheat the cabin.
That’s great to know because where I’m at we just got a cold snap and it got the range and acceleration limited message as well. It’s in the garage but still. Wonder how long it would take to warm up if I just jumped in and started driving. It’s 24 degrees in the garage but -2 outside with a windchill of -30…😳 Here’s the temp from my car that sits outside.

Steering part Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gadget Personal luxury car

Here’s the temp from my car that sits outside.

Automotive design Gas Audio equipment Machine Electronic device

I think it’s silly that it doesn’t preheat the battery if not plugged in. What if you’re out and about or at work.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts