Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to charge for a few minutes at my favorite free DC CCS place for the first time since OTA update Kernel June 2 :-(

Found a gentleman in a Polestar 2 using the charger and had a terrific conversation learning about how he got one here (ordered online, like me, back in 2019, delivered in January 2021 after delays with software bricking in Europe), service locations (they flatbed it if/when it will need service to their 'local' site), range, etc. I noticed that the center screen is bigger, with a slightly different layout of icons to take advantage of the real estate.

While charging, his screen reports range, amps (for AC), and kW, where as mine (now) shows miles/hr being added and kW (used to be miles/hr, amps for AC and volts). Interestingly, the 50kW charger was delivering only 39kW to my car.... I wonder if 100 to 150kW CCS systems will be different....

Learned that Polestar contacted him about 'issues/delays' with AirPlay. They offered him a total of 6 years of free data instead of 3 to compensate. That worries me we are going to get some bad news about issues or delays from Volvo too.

If you have questions, let me know - I will ask the next time I see him there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Interestingly, the 50kW charger was delivering only 39kW to my car.... I wonder if 100 to 150kW CCS systems will be different....
How "full" was your battery at this point? In general the higher your battery's initial SoC (state of charge), the slower the charge rate.

There are several published XC40 Recharge charging curves out there, at a 50kW charger you should get close to 50kW up to about 80% SoC, then it slows down quite a bit. Example:
Charging with a Volvo XC40/C40 Recharge – Fastned support

·
Registered
172 Posts
What was your take-away for the Polestar 2, overall? Did you sit in it? Cramped? I’ve driven one locally 6 months ago (had found an owner, he let me take for quick spin) but the memories have faded. A few months later, we traded my wife’s model Y for the P8 XC40 and she loves it. And i enjoy driving it when I can…

I’m currently driving a brand new (6 month old) Mini Cooper SE (electric, 115mi EPA range). Most days the range is fine, but headed into CLE winter, the range will be not as fine. AWD would be nice. But I like sporty cars. I had a 2018 Tesla 3 Perf, GREAT car— but I’m “over” tesla build quality, service issues, etc.

At this point I’m contemplating plunking down $1,500 for the BMW i4 ”M” version that will be in the same price/power setup as the Polestar 2 and the Tesla Model 3. Those 3 cars will all overlap better than, say, an Audi eTron or Taycan (I’ve had 2x Porsche Taycan, dont ask…. LOL) —-

TL;DR
I’d love to know if you felt like the Polestar 2 was worth the price of admission, or if the owner would “do it all over again” (do they regret not getting a tesla; do they have any low points of ownership with their car, etc) — TIA!
PS: I’ve also lurked on the polestar forums to garnish data— so my reply here may be a bit just for fun LOL

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How "full" was your battery at this point? In general the higher your battery's initial SoC (state of charge), the slower the charge rate.

There are several published XC40 Recharge charging curves out there, at a 50kW charger you should get close to 50kW up to about 80% SoC, then it slows down quite a bit. Example:
Charging with a Volvo XC40/C40 Recharge – Fastned support
43% when I started, so I expected faster too. It was actually 38kW and then 39kW before I left at 64%. Weather was in the 70's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m currently driving a brand new (6 month old) Mini Cooper SE (electric, 115mi EPA range). Most days the range is fine, but headed into CLE winter, the range will be not as fine. AWD would be nice. But I like sporty cars. I had a 2018 Tesla 3 Perf, GREAT car— but I’m “over” tesla build quality, service issues, etc.

TL;DR
I’d love to know if you felt like the Polestar 2 was worth the price of admission, or if the owner would “do it all over again” (do they regret not getting a tesla; do they have any low points of ownership with their car, etc) — TIA!
PS: I’ve also lurked on the polestar forums to garnish data— so my reply here may be a bit just for fun LOL
I didn't sit in it, but it seemed like the Volvo sedans (S60). He loves having a car unlike any other on the road. He was not attracted to the Tesla's looks and worried about their build quality. He drives local roads and gets 230 miles per charge with single pedal mode (I didn't ask how low he lets the battery go). We talked about how PSEG will discount charging at certain hours at home.

Slow charging is a big beef for him (6 kW AC chargers are too common here, the BMW dealer DC charger is only 26kW) and he hopes more CCS chargers are coming in the next few years. He gets only 40 amp at home, despite a 50 amp hookup.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I prioritize using a 150 charger when I am under 70. Over 70 is am happy to use a 50.

Yay charging curves. :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got to the 50kW DC charger today at 17% and took the following picture after hooking up. While charging speed eventually climbed up to 112mi/hr, charging info stayed at 39kW.

Vehicle Car Plant Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Ouch. That is disappointing.l but maybe par for the course. I think 120s mi/hr is the highest I have gotten at a 50 charger.

Have managed to get a 150 charger to deliver 143kW at more than one station.

·
Registered
2021 White XC40 Recharge P8
226 Posts
Ouch. That is disappointing.l but maybe par for the course. I think 120s mi/hr is the highest I have gotten at a 50 charger.

Have managed to get a 150 charger to deliver 143kW at more than one station.
Software update version 1.7 may help. It has tweaks to the preconditioning of the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts