Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my XC40 P8 about 10 days ago - so far really enjoying it. Many of my questions have been answered here on this forum - thanks! Here's one small issue that's still bugging me:

Why can I only set the climate control temp in 2-degree increments? I'd like to set it at 71° F but it can only be either 70° or 72°. The arrow buttons on the center display move it 2 degrees at a time. I tried using voice command "Google, set temperature to 71 degrees". It helpfully replied that it was "setting temperature to 72 degrees" :(

Have I missed a setting somewhere? Maybe under the covers the system is actually running in Celsius mode, where 1°C is about 1.8°F ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
This isn’t a solution to your problem, but I can confirm that it does do 1 degree increments in celsius.
There may be some validity to your thinking it is celsius in the back end. That matches some earlier issues with people only seeing the celsius interface.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Maybe it is just the OCD in me but in cars I've had that do 1-deg increments, I still set them "on the even" -- so 68, 70, 72. So for me, the realization during our XC40 test drive that one tap would go in even/2x increments made me smile inside. And yes, I realize, I have issues.... o_O

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
168 Posts
Maybe under the covers the system is actually running in Celsius mode, where 1°C is about 1.8°F ?
Well, you might be right especially if the underlying sensor only reads to the nearest °C. Volvo may have chosen to convert to °F by using the nearest even number which won't have a huge error when used within a reasonable range:

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
168 Posts
The temperature setting is not accurate anyways so it doesn't really matter.
I don't think anyone was questioning absolute accuracy. We all know that can be inaccurate. But relative change has the potential to be very accurate. It all depends on how it was implemented. We are wondering if it is like ~ 1.8°F or 2.0°F, or whatever. Yes, such a small difference and not worth the discussion for most people.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe it is just the OCD in me but in cars I've had that do 1-deg increments, I still set them "on the even" -- so 68, 70, 72. So for me, the realization during our XC40 test drive that one tap would go in even/2x increments made me smile inside. And yes, I realize, I have issues.... o_O
I also prefer even numbers, in general, but not to the point of OCD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts