Volvo XC40 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- Has anybody installed a clear bra on their XC40? what was the cost and how long did it take?

- How about ceramic window film?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi U4ic,
Knarr here. I had a Paint Protection Film or Clear Bra applied within a couple of months of taking delivery. Had full hood, front, front fenders and mirrors done. If you decide on this amount of coverage, plan on spending between $1,200 and $1,600. A lot will depend on the shop and brand of PPF. It feels great to have PPF. No worries when it comes to certain types of road debris. The modern versions of PPF are "self healing". So far I have not seen this attribute in action. It also resists fading which is nice. The cost might seem a bit expensive but there is peace of mind when I'm on the freeway dealing with trucks kicking up dirt and funk.
Your second question has to do with window tint that employs ceramic. I can't help you out there. I went with a mid range, standard tint at 26%. Same as the factory tinted windows.

I hope this is helpful and things work out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The self healing is a farce. It only works on light scratches. Impacts in the bra will not heal so on dark car you will see the impact marks. I have been using clear bra products for more than 15 years and the product is now less durable than the older stuff but takes longer to yellow. On my other car with expel ultimate I just had an impact go all the way through and damaged the paint. These films work, but are not perfect at stopping everything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi U4ic,
Knarr here. I had a Paint Protection Film or Clear Bra applied within a couple of months of taking delivery. Had full hood, front, front fenders and mirrors done. If you decide on this amount of coverage, plan on spending between $1,200 and $1,600. A lot will depend on the shop and brand of PPF. It feels great to have PPF. No worries when it comes to certain types of road debris. The modern versions of PPF are "self healing". So far I have not seen this attribute in action. It also resists fading which is nice. The cost might seem a bit expensive but there is peace of mind when I'm on the freeway dealing with trucks kicking up dirt and funk.
Your second question has to do with window tint that employs ceramic. I can't help you out there. I went with a mid range, standard tint at 26%. Same as the factory tinted windows.

I hope this is helpful and things work out to your satisfaction.
Yes, very helpful, thank you.

The self healing is a farce. It only works on light scratches. Impacts in the bra will not heal so on dark car you will see the impact marks. I have been using clear bra products for more than 15 years and the product is now less durable than the older stuff but takes longer to yellow. On my other car with expel ultimate I just had an impact go all the way through and damaged the paint. These films work, but are not perfect at stopping everything.
Boy o boy that must have been some impact. I realize nothing is invincible but seeing these small chips has always really annoyed me.

In general I want to see if new products are what they claim to be and if its worth the money. Basically looking for product recommendations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been driving car since April 2018....no front end chips. I would save my money although I guess it depends on where you live/drive

1 - 5 of 5 Posts