Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my California license plate and pink slip two months to the day from date of sale. It supposedly took 4 to 6 weeks, but was actually much longer. Then with the license number finally known, I could apply for clean air decals. These allow solo drivers to drive in HOV lanes. I had white ones for my 2011 Leaf, but those expired a few years ago. I don't know how long these new ones will be good for. I've seen purple ones and I think another color, too, but I'm not sure what color I will get, assuming I qualify. Eligibility is income capped and rules seem to change without warning. I'll share details either way. Anyone else with recent experience with these?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
****. I wish wa state would follow ca in these incentives.

Congrats

Reactions: Clocky

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Thunder Grey
46 Posts
I’m curious- where have folks affixed their CA decals? Unsure if I should apply them to the painted bumpers or to the black plastic portion below. I did purchase protective films to apply the stickers onto which then affix to the vehicle. The state-issued stickers self destruct when removed so after they expire, it’s nearly impossible to cleanly remove them if adhered directly to the car. Learned this on my previous EV the hard way…

·
Registered
45 Posts
The decals come with illustrated instructions on where to place them. The quarter panel decals are so big and ugly that I considered not putting them on the car.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Should have clarified- I’m asking for aesthetic reasons where to put them. I know where the instructions say to put them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m curious- where have folks affixed their CA decals? Unsure if I should apply them to the painted bumpers or to the black plastic portion below. I did purchase protective films to apply the stickers onto which then affix to the vehicle. The state-issued stickers self destruct when removed so after they expire, it’s nearly impossible to cleanly remove them if adhered directly to the car. Learned this on my previous EV the hard way…
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light

The front one is also on the metal, not the bumper. I think having stickers in front must be a new thing. My Leaf only had them in the rear.

·
Registered
2021 Crystal White XC40 Recharge Pure Electric P8
12 Posts
Just curious, how long did it take to get your decals? I mailed my application on July 11th and still waiting. Is there a way to check if the application was received by them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just curious, how long did it take to get your decals? I mailed my application on July 11th and still waiting. Is there a way to check if the application was received by them?
Looking back now, I mailed my check and application form on 8/30 and received the decals on 9/15. However, I just looked at my bank account and the check still hasn’t been cashed. I wonder if my dealer submitted the application for me when I took delivery 8/3. Is that even a thing?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking back now, I mailed my check and application form on 8/30 and received the decals on 9/15. However, I just looked at my bank account and the check still hasn’t been cashed. I wonder if my dealer submitted the application for me when I took delivery 8/3. Is that even a thing?
Thanks for the quick reply! That's a mystery for sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It was two months from sending the check to getting the decals - about 3 days after the check was cashed by DMV. Probably quick in DMV's eyes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I lucked out and got a matching color. I was expecting purple.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You can call the DMV special processing unit to check status. I did that when I was getting concerned with timing. They will ask for the vehicle license number. They told me it was in financial processing of my check. It took another two weeks after that before I saw the stickers. About 8 weeks total. It didn't help that I put the temporary license number on the application but they were able to figure that out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You can call the DMV special processing unit to check status. I did that when I was getting concerned with timing. They will ask for the vehicle license number. They told me it was in financial processing of my check. It took another two weeks after that before I saw the stickers. About 8 weeks total. It didn't help that I put the temporary license number on the application but they were able to figure that out.
Could you please share the phone number of the special processing unit? I also used the temporary license plate number, did that delay processing ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Please contact the CA DMV Special Processing Unit at (916) 657-8035 to check the status of your HOV sticker request. I think the use of the temporary license plate number did delay the processing. They had to look the temporary plate number and cross reference it to the permanent number. When I called they wanted the permanent license number and not the temporary number. According to Google:

Hours:

SundayClosed
Monday8:30AM–4:30PM
Tuesday8:30AM–4:30PM
Wednesday9AM–4:30PM
Thursday8:30AM–4:30PM
Friday8:30AM–4:30PM
SaturdayClosed

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm waiting to file for our CAV decals until after Jan 1. Decals expire on Jan 1 regardless of the month and day they were issued. This could be only three years and a day if your application hit the DMV at the end of December.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts