Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Do not check or care you are happy and life is good

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this the other day. My super market has only 1 charger. Is it okay etiquette wise to disconnect the other car if it has finished charging.

Of course what I am really asking is how would you feel if you returned to your car and the first thing you noted was the fact the charger was disconnected from your car and in another. You would not know your charge was full until you checked.

Goals
A. Piece and harmony in the world
B. Not getting my tires slashed or my paint keyed

So the above scenario happens how do you feel.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Addendum.
Same shopping place. The car next to you has stopped charging but at a low % as the charger crashed/errors/failed some how. Is it okay to disconnect and use it then ….

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
Does anyone use hang tags like these? They seem interesting.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nifty. Wish there was one for please unplug and use when my car is finished drinking :)

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really!!! well then. . . I thought pushing the button did it. But I always have the key with me so … have you double checked/tested this out?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Really!!! well then. . . I thought pushing the button did it. But I always have the key with me so … have you double checked/tested this out?
Yes, I've checked it out. I went out to the garage to remove the charger after it had completed charging, without the remote in my pocket, and could not disconnect it. I had to go back into the house, retrieve the remote, and return to the garage. Then all was well.

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine. He texted me for help because he did the same thing the first time he charged his new car.

I'm under the impression that most EVs lock the charger so they can't be disconnected without the remote nearby.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that’s a waste of a poll.

Nothing to see here. The poll is dead!!! Also good to know nobody can disconnect it :)

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
137 Posts
Hmm, maybe someone should make one of those cards that says, "Please do not attempt to disconnect the charger. It requires the car's key to do so."

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or really big arms and lots of metal tearing sounds ….

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, exactly. I'd be afraid of someone getting impatient and just trying to yank it out.
This is my third electric car. All different makes.
I have never had an electric car that allows for the plug to be disconnected without a key being recognized.

It appears to be a standard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Chevy bolt and volt allowed disconnect without key. Based on my garage setup it is incredibly frustrating to have the plug remain stuck to the car. I often leave the keys in the car in my locked garage. I walk past the left front fender and the plug before getting to the car door. My clipper creak evse does not lock to the car. The charger with out xc90t8 did lock to the car. Locking should be user selectable or at least tied to the door locks.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Yes, I've checked it out. I went out to the garage to remove the charger after it had completed charging, without the remote in my pocket, and could not disconnect it. I had to go back into the house, retrieve the remote, and return to the garage.
I have to disagree and I want you to recheck it for yourself (the procedure matters). I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the latest update will allow anyone to disconnect the charging cable once charging has completed.

Details:
I have the 'August' update and once charging completed, I checked to see if I could release the cable without first unlocking the car or have any key on me. Upon pulling the handle of the cable, it stopped me because it was still secured by the mechanical lock. But, the charge port light turned green after being off. That tells me that the signal connection must have been temporarily lost when it was jiggled. So then I pressed the button to request release, but it turned the light red for a moment and back to solid green and it still didn't let me disconnect it.​
I needed to let it rest until the car knew that it was fully charged again and it turned off the charging port light. That took <15 minutes. Now, this time before touching the cable, I pressed the button and it magically let me pull out the charging cable.​

In summary, I found that it will let anyone disconnect the charging cable when the following criteria has been met:
  • Charging has completed (to the set point).
  • The charging port LED is off (dark).
  • The person must press the charging port button before touching the cable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It would be very dangerous for a charging cable connector to be disconnected while current is flowing through it, which is why no car allows it.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts

Yup, key needs to be in range. When I charge overnight at times if I won't be using the car I go down to unplug it and a few times I have had to run up and get the key. I like that feature, of course until it refuses to unplug one day :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge
154 Posts
Yup, key needs to be in range.
Read my post above. It is possible to unplug without a key given the conditions that I mention.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My personal feeling is when not a non-emergency situation you shouldn’t lay a hand on someone else’s car. My thoughts on that may modulate if I ever get stuck somewhere with a charger hog nearby.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Read my post above. It is possible to unplug without a key given the conditions that I mention.
I will have to try it, but my car was finished charging and button or not, it would not let me unplug, but I have not tried anything with latest updates.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I’m pretty sure I have unplugged my husband’s car without having a key. I was actually a little surprised a couple days ago when I couldn’t do it and had to go get my copy of his key.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts