Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last month we took a 950-mile roundtrip in our XC40 P8, and for comparison purposes, last week the same trip in our Model 3.

In general the trip was better in every way in the XC40, except for charging, which was slightly more work. We had to use EA's app to initiate charging, and occasionally dealt with a broken charging station. Tesla of course is the original plug-and-charge vendor, and we encountered no out-of-service Tesla charging stalls.

A few things we noticed:

Larger Tesla supercharging locations (40-50 stalls!) had roofs over them like gas pumps generally do. EA sites we visited never had roofs overhead, even though they were often co-located at gasoline stations which did have roofs over their pumps.

No charging station we stopped at, Tesla or EA, had a windshield-cleaning squeegee - had to walk over to a gas pump and borrow one from there. It's a little baffling as most EVs have windshields.

Urban charging locations, both Tesla and EA, were much more crowded than main highway locations outside cities. We were often the only car present at rural EA charging locations, and 10% or less of Tesla stalls were occupied (on non-holiday weekdays).

Cost per kWh was similar between EA chargers and the average of Tesla chargers, once EA's $6/month membership fee was paid. I canceled the "membership" immediately on return.

VW ID.4s were quite common at urban EA stations (free charging thanks to the VW-EA connection), followed by XC40 P8, and on occasional Audi e-tron. Of course, Tesla stations only had Teslas - hoping this will change next year with Tesla's announced plan to open their network to CCS cars, at an increased $/kWh rate.

The Model 3 made each 475-mile leg with about one less charging stop (and the associated time involved) than the XC40 P8.

Changing drivers at each charging stop worked well in the XC40, at 90-120 miles per leg. The time between stops was slightly too long (100-140 miles) for this strategy to be optimal in the Model 3.

We managed about 380Wh/mile in our XC40 as much of the route is at speeds up to 80mph. Our Model 3 did 290Wh/mile. But efficiency isn't everything. We'll be taking the XC40 next time, in a couple weeks. It's much less fatiguing on long drives than the Model 3, even if the drive takes a little longer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Great information! We have only travelled in our Tesla since my wife is just getting her XC40 this week. From the test drives, the Volvo road much nicer and was much quieter, which would lead to a much more enjoyable road trip.

Reactions: Ces

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Great information! We have only travelled in our Tesla since my wife is just getting her XC40 this week. From the test drives, the Volvo road much nicer and was much quieter, which would lead to a much more enjoyable road trip.
We felt the same after trying 950 miles in both. We also argued more in the Model 3 than the XC40 - not sure if this was due to increased road noise/vibration fatigue in the Tesla, or a coincidence ;).

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and after our first trip, we learned to bring a roll of disinfecting wipes. I used a wipe to grab the handle of the Tesla charging cable to plug it into the car. The handles can get pretty grungy. It'll take two wipes to handle the heavier, two-handed CCS cable on EA chargers for the XC40 on our upcoming trip. I saw an Audi driver just using cheap disposable vinyl gloves instead.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No charging station we stopped at, Tesla or EA, had a windshield-cleaning squeegee - had to walk over to a gas pump and borrow one from there. It's a little baffling as most EVs have windshields.
The internet has spoken and suggests that you not use the gas station squeegee. They do suggest that you can add glass cleaning wipes to your kit for that purpose. A better choice would be diluted glass cleaner and a microfiber towel.

Back in 2018 a few Supercharger stations made the news by adding a squeegee, but the idea didn't take hold.

Personally, I drive around the bugs.

·
Registered
317 Posts
If we’re taking a long trip then I have a roll of paper towels, a window squeegee, and window cleaner in the trunk.

We also have baby wipes/sanitizing wipes with us at all times anyway, but I agree they are great to have for this purpose as well.

Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bugs got pretty thick on the windshield. My strategy was to get the whole windshield wet with the squeegee, wait a minute, go back and scrub, then squeegee, then wipe the smudge down the middle with a dry paper towel. Could have done it with several paper towels, some window cleaner, then a last-wipe microfiber towel.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I did a 130 mile trip from Columbus Ohio up to port Clinton, and it was mostly a blast. I would agree with the charging issues though. On the way up, I stopped at the EA station in Mansfield and they had 4 chargers. One charger was completely dead and one was locked up (screen froze, buttons didn't work). The second station I used worked fine and charged at about 115kw. As for port Clinton, zero chargers. I ended up planning lunch around charging the next day and drove to the Ohio turnpike which had EA chargers at their large rest areas. All showed as online and the first one I used worked perfectly.
On they way back to Columbus it got a little iffy for a minute. I stopped back at the Mansfield EA station, and the one station was still dead. The first one I plugged into only would only charge at 40kw (soc was 16%). Second station same, 40kw. Finally the last station I tried (ironically the same station I used on the drive up) worked fine and hit 120kw. I think charge anxiety for some people is still going to be a thing for some time. I myself need to get more comfortable letting my soc get closer to 10% before finding a charging station.

I'm going to be doing a road trip from Columbus to Denver here soon so I'm excited and also Little nervous! The cars a blast and it just makes road trips seem more relaxed and enjoyable. Outside of charging lol!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I did a 130 mile trip from Columbus Ohio up to port Clinton, and it was mostly a blast. I would agree with the charging issues though. On the way up, I stopped at the EA station in Mansfield and they had 4 chargers. One charger was completely dead and one was locked up (screen froze, buttons didn't work). The second station I used worked fine and charged at about 115kw. As for port Clinton, zero chargers. I ended up planning lunch around charging the next day and drove to the Ohio turnpike which had EA chargers at their large rest areas. All showed as online and the first one I used worked perfectly.
On they way back to Columbus it got a little iffy for a minute. I stopped back at the Mansfield EA station, and the one station was still dead. The first one I plugged into only would only charge at 40kw (soc was 16%). Second station same, 40kw. Finally the last station I tried (ironically the same station I used on the drive up) worked fine and hit 120kw. I think charge anxiety for some people is still going to be a thing for some time. I myself need to get more comfortable letting my soc get closer to 10% before finding a charging station.

I'm going to be doing a road trip from Columbus to Denver here soon so I'm excited and also Little nervous! The cars a blast and it just makes road trips seem more relaxed and enjoyable. Outside of charging lol!
A fellow Ohio EV member! 👍🏻 We currently live out in Marysville, but we just say Columbus when anyone asks where we’re from now.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Good luck in eastern Colorado.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@jasdata & @Rousie13 —- we have our XC40 P8 up in Cleveland, east side suburb of Beachwood. So YAY for 3rd Ohio in this thread. :) (y)

RE: Mansfield charger — I had a similar experience a few weeks ago (took my wife/friend to haunted house, and I went to charge while they did the Mansfield Reformatory HH; it was a better use of time, and i dont dig those places). Anyhow, FWIW, I found/felt that hte charging speed low (similar 40kW to you) was more based on the TEMPS (it was really cold that night). I suspect that our new v1.7 update might resolve this. We have found EA chargers to be good, but that Mansfield location is ALWAYS crap shoot. Sadly…

PS: We may need to organize a P8 gathering for Ohio owners Spring 2022 ;)

·
Registered
462 Posts
We managed about 380Wh/mile in our XC40 as much of the route is at speeds up to 80mph. Our Model 3 did 290Wh/mile. But efficiency isn't everything. We'll be taking the XC40 next time, in a couple weeks. It's much less fatiguing on long drives than the Model 3, even if the drive takes a little longer.
THIS! We’ve been talking for months about how much we love our P8 (we did 10k miles in the first 5 months alone) — and we’ve had 12 other Tesla vehicles prior. We actually sold our 2020 Model Y LR AWD for the P8 and never looked back. Both my wife/I love it .. so much so, that I’m actually going to be getting a Polestar 2 in the coming days to sit along side the P8! Great post @DeaneG — thanks for sharing :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One other note: on my 475 mile drive south on a Tuesday, we encountered significant rush-hour traffic delays through downtown Los Angeles. These delays were much longer than the difference in charging time for the trip needed by the XC40 vs. the Model 3. Next time I'll depart on Sunday or Monday when traffic though downtown is much lighter. It's a bigger lever than worrying about the one more charging stop required by the XC40.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
For my 1200 mile trip this summer I too found the lack of window cleaning frustrating. To solve it I brought a sponge and used bottled water to allow me to clean it.

Down side … I could pull over and do it when ever I want …. Invariably everyone time I got it perfect a big would splat right in my central vision.

Reason this works so well for me. I had my glass nano coated for water repellent. I think this makes removing bugs a lot easier.

Good point about the rain shielding. Had not thought of that. Not a single charging station had a roof. Seems a glaring mistake in rainy places.

Also safety wise. There is a lack of get gas caffeine and snacks when charging an ev. Hopefully over time they will move in to gas stations more or some other solution. If we are going to charge for 30 mins we are ripe for spending money :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
...Good point about the rain shielding. Had not thought of that. Not a single charging station had a roof. Seems a glaring mistake in rainy places....Also safety wise. There is a lack of get gas caffeine and snacks when charging an ev...
Ha ha, I love Seattle but in CA the problem is mostly the sun's heat! I suppose a roof would fix both issues.
Most of the rural EA charging stations I stopped at were co-located with a big gas station with the usual smells. And flies - where do they get so many flies? Urban charging locations were usually at a Walmart, Target, or an outdoor mall.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Our biggest thing is having a bathroom open/close by since we have a 3 year old. We currently only have had experience with Tesla chargers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
@jasdata & @Rousie13 —- we have our XC40 P8 up in Cleveland, east side suburb of Beachwood. So YAY for 3rd Ohio in this thread. :) (y)

RE: Mansfield charger — I had a similar experience a few weeks ago (took my wife/friend to haunted house, and I went to charge while they did the Mansfield Reformatory HH; it was a better use of time, and i dont dig those places). Anyhow, FWIW, I found/felt that hte charging speed low (similar 40kW to you) was more based on the TEMPS (it was really cold that night). I suspect that our new v1.7 update might resolve this. We have found EA chargers to be good, but that Mansfield location is ALWAYS crap shoot. Sadly…

PS: We may need to organize a P8 gathering for Ohio owners Spring 2022 ;)
I'd totally be down for this!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our biggest thing is having a bathroom open/close by since we have a 3 year old. We currently only have had experience with Tesla chargers.
Tesla and non-Tesla chargers' bathroom availability was very similar in my experience, ok but not great. If the charger isn't located at a Walmart or Target, then you are looking for a bathroom at a nearby fast food restaurant.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Tesla and non-Tesla chargers' bathroom availability was very similar in my experience, ok but not great. If the charger isn't located at a Walmart or Target, then you are looking for a bathroom at a nearby fast food restaurant.
I am sure nobody has ever charged at an ea charger at 1:43am after a long drive, desperate to pee and hidden behind the transformer cursing the lack of a toilet whilst magically no longer needing to pee….

• Wow
Reactions: DeaneG

·
Registered
169 Posts
I am sure nobody has ever charged at an ea charger at 1:43am after a long drive, desperate to pee and hidden behind the transformer cursing the lack of a toilet whilst magically no longer needing to pee….
At 0143 if all you need to do is pee, probably not a problem going right there. If you need a toilet for more than peeing, you may have problems.

Making sure there are restrooms, at least a clean porta-potty, should be standard for fast charging locations.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts