Volvo XC40 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
118 Posts
Hope you love the car! We’re loving ours. We’re in Australia where the voltage is 230V on all the standard home power outlets (there is no 110V here)...we only get the one cable provided with our cars here and that’s only 10 amps (so it uses the standard power outlet just like any appliance) and max charge rate is ~2200 W (2.2 kW) Yes, it does take a long time to charge from a low state, but if you just plug it in at all times when you’re at home you should get 10-12 hours a day of charging so that may cover your needs easily...and even more so when you get the Nema 220V outlet installed. Enjoy!
Car Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
89 Posts
They stopped that. Now you get "250Wkh free with Electrify America and discounted membership after that". I add quotes as I have not heard anything yet and VC say 3-4 weeks in email....
Make sure and check with your dealer. The 250Kwh is only for the new, 2022 Volvo, not for a 2021 Volvo XC. Ask. Remember if yo udon't ask the answer is always NO.

·
Registered
2021 Glacier Silver XC40 Recharge P8
126 Posts
Thank you everyone for the excellent information. As a newbie to the EV world I am still working on full understanding of the nuances of charging etc. Keep it coming, is anyone has more to add! We’re working on getting an electrician in ASAP!
Your electrician should know this, but if you get the Chargepoint Home Flex EVSE and you want to take full advantage of the 48A charge rate, he/she will need to hardwire the EVSE and install a 60A breaker. Otherwise, you can go with a 14-50 outlet and a 50A breaker, but you will only be charging at a 40A max. rate -- which is still plenty fast for me.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 20", Heat Pump.
51 Posts
I have read that non fast chargers charge consistently vs fast chargers where rate is partially a function of battery fullness.

Just wanted to verify this is the case as I do not have access to a home charger so cannot test it :)

Is there any noticeable change due temperature?
You are correct. My home charger (40amp Chargepoint) charges the same speed all the way through. Same as all the level 2 chargers I uses everywhere else. Might slow down at the very very end if going to 100%, but mostly same speed. On a high speed DC charger, I see the standard charge curve - 150KWh until about 20%, 120KWh until 40%, 100KWh until 60%, and so on. Slowing down to around 20ish KWh over 80%. The real sweet spot for high speed charging seems to be 10% to 60%.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The charging cord that came with the car is an EVSE; it has electronics inside it. It is more than just a cord.

There is pretty neat negotiation between the vehicle and the EVSE. They confirm that the connection is good (grounded, etc). The car asks for the current that it wants and the EVSE supplies it. The car reduces the requested current as the battery charge approaches 100% or the battery gets hot.

I bought a Clipper Creek EVSE many years ago, when I had a Mitsubishi iMIEV. That car only came with a 110V EVSE so I had to buy my own 240V EVSE. I have not switched to the Volvo EVSE for a couple of reasons. First, my existing one is hardwired; I don't have a NEMA plug. Second, my wiring and circuit breaker only support 30 amps so I would still have to limit the charging rate. It would take me several hundred feet of wire to upgrade so I probably won't bother.
Looking at the different Nema outlet varieties, it looks like the plug formation that came with the car is only compatible with the 14-30. It has a 4th prong with a right angle in it. Why would that be different than all of yours?
if that is the case, am I in the same boat as you by virtue of my plug? Is that what the 30 in 14-30 means?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looking at the different Nema outlet varieties, it looks like the plug formation that came with the car is only compatible with the 14-30. It has a 4th prong with a right angle in it. Why would that be different than all of yours?
if that is the case, am I in the same boat as you by virtue of my plug? Is that what the 30 in 14-30 means?
The cable that came with my car has interchangeable ends, one for a regular 110 outlet, and one for a 14-50 plug.

·
Registered
126 Posts
30 is the Amperage rating. Go no more than that (safely). You can go as high as 50A on a 14-50 outlet/plug -- but no more. That's why you use a 50A breaker with a 14-50 outlet. To go higher (faster), say 48A, you need to bypass the outlet idea and go hardwire. I.e., if your EVSE can go up to 48A, you need to go hardwire with a 60A breaker. The current (Amps) can be no more than 80% of the rated hardware (outlet, breaker, etc.) -- e.g., 40A using 50A outlet & breaker -or- 48A using 60A breaker but no outlet (hardwire). Hope this helps explain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, depending on your locale, most codes require the 50A breaker to be GFI protected if in the garage.

·
Registered
78 Posts
And just because not everyone is in america and is stuck with 110v, I live in Australia with 230V and am lucky that I have 3 phase power, the supplied charger that came with the car sucked as well, 2.4kw. Just upgraded to a 32 amp plug that will allow me to go to 7kw so can charge up in the off peak from 9pm to 7am, I bought a portable charger cable set up that allows me to use it at worksite type 3 phase plugs as well and can charge up to the max of 11kw that the car will take, the charge will run higher. This sort of set up where you can plug into a higher power outlet at home but also take it with you to charge at work might be an option? for me it actually worked out cheaper too!!

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8, sage green, DOM 09/20, 19” wheels, heat pump, kernel ver Jul 27, 2021, No OTA yet.
18 Posts
Just got our Recharge 3 days ago. Waiting on a home charger, but we were told the car will do a full charge in 16 hours with a standard plug in to the wall using the provided cable and the 110 adapter that was provided. Turns out we have gotten nowhere near that speed of charging. After 3 trials and many hours we are averaging 1-1.5%/hr at home, using various outlets and even changing buildings on our property to get a completely different electrical circuit. On the 6kW public chargers we are getting about 5%/hr and paying as much as we would for gas for an equal range.
This is irritating since we had planned to plug in nightly. The charging units to install in our home are on back order. But it is especially problematic since we live on an island and don’t have easy access to the fast chargers. We can’t drive the car because it is charged in literally all day.
Has anyone else had this problem? Is 110 just not reasonable to expect to work? Are the 6kW chargers all this useless?
Feeling frustrated that I can’t drive the car I just bought….
Hi Shaerna, I use the 110 V outlet in my garage almost exclusively and get 3-4 miles of charge per hour. So for 16 hours overnight I get between 48-64 miles (about 24-32% additional charge). I get down to about 40-50% and then plug in a couple of times per week to charge back up to 90% max. On my last trip to the dealer for a software update, the charge Amp limit settings had been reset down to 8 amps for some reason and I noticed almost no charging when I went to plug in. When I put the current limit back to 30amps, the charging speed returned to the normal charging speed seen previously. I too had planned to install a 240V outlet and charger in the garage but I don’t think I really need to at this point. I drive between 25 and 50 miles round trip on most of my daily trips. Hope this helps and congratulations on your new car. You will love it.

·
Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
118 Posts
We’re just using the standard 10-amp cable provided (Aus 230V) and that’s 2200w, which gives us about 10 km per hour...so overnight that’s 120 km. Works well for us!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts