Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, do most of you run your battery down to 10% and then charge, or do you charge when you have the best availability at a good charger, even if your leftover battery life is higher? I understand the idea of dwindling down the charge for a better battery performance in the future, but I am wondering what you all do. Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 X1, 2017 BRZ
125 Posts
I understand the idea of dwindling down the charge for a better battery performance in the future, but I am wondering what you all do. Thanks!
Wasn't that mostly a thing for the older nickel-based rechargeable batteries? I didn't think you were supposed to do that with newer lithium-based batteries.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would seem that technology may be a little better than that in a $60,000 car right? I’d rather always keep it topped off in case of any sort of situation that would require a pretty heavy charge.

·
Registered
148 Posts
At a minimum behavior should be variable based on routine use or road trips for most people.

Road Trips: A Better Route Planner shows us that conventional thinking is not correct. Conventional thinking would have us charge our vehicle to 100% and then run it down close to empty before stopping to charge. This conventional thinking is derived from our experiences pumping gas where the overhead of stopping to pump gas outweighed the time spent pumping. However if we consider total time spent charging instead of number of charging stops then we might consider not fully charging at each stop. In particular situations it may make a lot of sense to not bother charging to 100% before leaving. This is because the battery charges faster when it is less full.

Normal Commuting: One thing that we recommend ICE drivers do is keep their cars mostly full of gas. This is so that in an emergency you can use your car. Several years ago there was a large blackout in my area and many motorists were stranded because the pumps at most gas stations wouldn't work. If you are charging at home then it makes sense to keep your car charged up. Whether you are in an area like California where you might be subject to rolling blackouts or if you are in a part of the country with storms that can take down the power grid, keeping your car charged if there is no additional time or effort required makes a lot of sense.

There is an argument to keep a lower charge state on a battery. Lithium Ion batteries are typically stored between 30-50% of a full charge. This is just better for them. If your vehicle doesn't get much use, you have a short commute perhaps, then allowing the charge state to fall to a lower threshold and charging less often might extend the life of the battery. This in itself is a tricky subject. What we are really trying to do is slow the gradual degradation of the battery so that is maintains a larger percent of its capacity for a longer period. But in a lightly driven vehicle the battery will probably not be the thing that ends the car's useful life.

So, I can see someone choosing to wait for the car to get down to 30% if that was enough to handle a few days of their commute or get them where they would need to go in an emergency and then charging periodically up to 60 to 80%.

So as you can see, driving type, where you charge, how much you drive, personal risk tolerance and a lot of other factors should be used when developing a charging plan.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hello, do most of you run your battery down to 10% and then charge.... I understand the idea of dwindling down the charge for a better battery performance in the future...
This is outdated advice suited only to NiCd and Nimh batteries - has nothing to do with lithium-ion batteries. You'll get the most life from Li-Ion by keeping its charge level around 50% and minimizing swings from there. But keeping the battery in the range of 20% and 80% state of charge, as much as possible, is a good compromise between preserving the battery's life and getting a good amount of practical use out of it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If I have over 25% I charge as I do things (go into shop with charging stations).
Under 25% I go to EA and fill it up to 80.

On a trip I follow ABRP with an increase in charge % over recommended based on how much I want to meander and how much I want to push the car.

Reactions: hbaeuerle
1 - 8 of 8 Posts