Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Currently, on the recharge, you can set the following parameters for charging on the vehicle
  1. Limit in %, (i have mine at 90%) what is the recommendation to keep this at 80% and then increase it before a long trip?
  2. current limit I have mine at 20A 220 VAC as this is the limit of the socket/ wiring I have in place.
the unfortunate thing is this profile is the default, how can you (hopefully in the future) set a charging profile for at home and then have a different one for other locations?
with the default charging profile of 90% and 20A even if I go to a fast charger the car will only charge at this limited rate and I have to go into the settings and change it to fast charge and then again update it when I get home....

any recommendation or insight into a software update that will support multiple charging profiles?

·
Registered
514 Posts
with the default charging profile of 90% and 20A even if I go to a fast charger the car will only charge at this limited rate and I have to go into the settings and change it to fast charge and then again update it when I get home....
Just to be clear - the Amp limit only applies to AC charging - eg, Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. It does NOT apply to DC charging (most "fast chargers" are DC) eg, Level 3 chargers. You don't have to change the setting if you're using a Level 3 fast charger.

·
Registered
2021 volvo xc40 recharge
18 Posts
Just to be clear - the Amp limit only applies to AC charging - eg, Level 1 and Level 2 chargers. It does NOT apply to DC charging (most "fast chargers" are DC) eg, Level 3 chargers. You don't have to change the setting if you're using a Level 3 fast charger.
I experienced this as well, have to limit AC draw at home, but when at public charger i have to manually change it or it charges at the slower rate despite it be being DC. I also have to do the little routine of getting out of the car a cpl of times to be able to up the rate of charge due to the grayed out charge adjustment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next question on charging, should you keep your car on charge charged up to 90% and then drive around and let's say its a short trip and you use 10% and get home put it back on the charge to take it up from 80 % to 90% or can you recharge it when you want.

For example, charge it upto 90% and then do multiple trips over the next few days 10 ~ 14 and run the battery down to let's say 30% and only then recharge the car, more like a conventional car filling the tank?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Next question on charging, should you keep your car on charge charged up to 90% and then drive around and let's say its a short trip and you use 10% and get home put it back on the charge to take it up from 80 % to 90% or can you recharge it when you want.

For example, charge it upto 90% and then do multiple trips over the next few days 10 ~ 14 and run the battery down to let's say 30% and only then recharge the car, more like a conventional car filling the tank?
I do the latter.

·
Registered
2021 XC40. P8 Fusion Red
124 Posts
A normal response for Teslas is A.B.C. Always Be Charging. It doesn't hurt the battery to keep it at 90% unless you are planning a trip within a few hours of 100%. SAME concept for all BEV cars. Does my wife always plug in every day she runs a 5 or 10 mile errand. Well of course not. But I know she plugs it in when it drops to below 75%. And as a 'ol Boy Scout, Be Prepared. I never know when I'm about to take a 200 or 300 mile trip so I want to be ready. And of course in BAD WEATHER I will have the cars both plugged in and ready to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts