Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to check if XC40 Recharge in other country has the similar charging info on the instrument panel? Here in Malaysia, the info are not so useful. What's charging speed in km/h? I hope to see user are given optio to see energy charged in kwh instead in the upcoming OTA
Vehicle Car Speedometer Automotive design Gauge

Registered
I have the same information on my volvo's display also. But yeah more information would be nice to have thing.
I think charged distance is nice piece of information, otherwise you would need to calculate and evaluate the distance by yourself.
Think it as getting 51 km distance by charging 1 hour. You need to go 100 km, just charge 2 hours 馃槈

Registered
2022 XC40 Recharge Twin Fusion Red
Sadly no. If you want to know kWh charged, you will need an energy monitor or home charging unit that can provide that information. The car does not tell you how much energy it has used during a charge.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have the same information on my volvo's display also. But yeah more information would be nice to have thing.
I think charged distance is nice piece of information, otherwise you would need to calculate and evaluate the distance by yourself.
Think it as getting 51 km distance by charging 1 hour. You need to go 100 km, just charge 2 hours 馃槈
thanks! Yeah, i just found out too, this is indeed even more insightful than how much kW charged! Those swedish engineers werent sleeping on their job!

Charging speed is "how many km or miles are added to the range during charging per hour" and can be calculated as
c = P / E (1)
where
c = charging speed (km per hour, miles per hour)
P = charging power (kW)
E = the energy consumption of the car when driving (kWh/km, kWh/miles)

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
I agree that it's not a great way to display charging speed. kW really should be the standard. In fact that's the way it displays when connected to a Level 3 DCFC. Why Volvo chooses to display it as mi/hr or km/hr when connected to a level 1 or level 2 charger is beyond me.

To get your charging speed on a home charger just multiply your charging amps by your voltage.

So with a quick google search I see that Malaysia uses 230V.

So 15A x 230V would be a 3.5kW charging speed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree that it's not a great way to display charging speed. kW really should be the standard. In fact that's the way it displays when connected to a Level 3 DCFC. Why Volvo chooses to display it as mi/hr or km/hr when connected to a level 1 or level 2 charger is beyond me.

To get your charging speed on a home charger just multiply your charging amps by your voltage.

So with a quick google search I see that Malaysia uses 230V.

So 15A x 230V would be a 3.5kW charging speed.
Yes, you are right, we have 3-phase for most of modern residential houses, so 3.5kw x 3 = about 11kw

Registered
2021 XC40 Recharge | Bursting Blue
Not exactly. You might have 3 phase in your home. But your home EVSE still probably only uses 2 of those 3 phases to charge your car.

And even if it did, a 3 phase power calculation is more complicated than just power over a single phase times 3:

AC three phase amps to kilowatts calculation formula
P(kW) = 3 脳 PF I(A) 脳 VL-L(V) / 1000

You can enter your stats here:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not exactly. You might have 3 phase in your home. But your home EVSE still probably only uses 2 of those 3 phases to charge your car.

And even if it did, a 3 phase power calculation is more complicated than just power over a single phase times 3:

AC three phase amps to kilowatts calculation formula
P(kW) = 3 脳 PF I(A) 脳 VL-L(V) / 1000

You can enter your stats here:

Perfect! Now i got my definitive (scientific) answer

11.52kW according to the calculator, that's the power per hour sucking up from the grid into this beauty

1 - 11 of 11 Posts