Volvo XC40 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone has strange behavior charging in hot weather? We charged up in Baker today at around 110° F. As we drive away from the charger the charge state dropped 5%.

On a side note, the charge handle was painfully above 100° when I unplugged.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Nice observation.
What was your charge before the 5 drop?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We charged to 80%. ABRP told us we needed 79% to arrive at 31%. It dropped to 75% before we hit the Interstate. We finished at 28%.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
So after a couple of minutes of driving?

I will make sure to keep an eye out for that behavior.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't have any issues for the rest of the trip. The car's display claimed a temperature of 118° F in Cabazon at the outlets while charging.

·
Registered
2021 XC40 P8 - Bursting Blue
257 Posts
I believe that detecting SOC of lithium-ion batteries is an approximation based on voltage and some calculation of current in/out.

So wonder if your quick drop was more about the calculations reworking based on changing from charging to discharging.

Just speculating, though. I use bare LiPo cells in my hobbies and controller/charger circuitry to keep them from going past limits; these devices are using voltage only to decide whether it's close to full or empty.

·
Registered
609 Posts
We charged to 80%. ABRP told us we needed 79% to arrive at 31%. It dropped to 75% before we hit the Interstate. We finished at 28%.
Yes, I have seen my drop 3% from the time I roll out of the garage to maybe 5 blocks out. It was over 110 degrees outside. That was also the time I'd observed mid-40kWh all the way to work which would have usually been in the mid-30s. Since then, I'd made a mental note to prepare for SOC to drop 5-10% during super hot and super cold days.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yes, I have seen my drop 3% from the time I roll out of the garage to maybe 5 blocks out. It was over 110 degrees outside. That was also the time I'd observed mid-40kWh all the way to work which would have usually been in the mid-30s. Since then, I'd made a mental note to prepare for SOC to drop 5-10% during super hot and super cold days.
This is good information. Should we charge to goal + 5 in super hot weather expecting 5 to go away ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the car adjusts. We traveled from 80s to 100s and saw the drop after the first charge (which probably added more heat.)

After that things were normal. But on the return trip the car was underestimating how far it could go. But for external systems I would adjust the consumption. It's set at 334 wh/mile in ABRP. For reference e were seeing above 400. ABRP uses those non-standard units.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Talking of ABRP (if no answers here I will make a pure thread) is there a way to import the ABRP route and stops into google maps in the car?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can share your ABRP route to Google Maps on your phone. The waypoints should at least show up in the car.

I'm not sure if a route you plan on your phone in Google Maps can be transferred to the car even if you save it in your maps. If not, share the route in a text message to yourself and try opening it in the car?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Yeah I got it to my phones google maps last nite. Creepily it started the journey and was coming over the cars stereo at the same time as I was using the onboard navigation. Luckily it had a slightly different voice. I had 2 robo voices telling me different things. Was trippy :)

opening msgs in car is voice only is it not?

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I watched for the 5% drop in trip. Never saw it “alas” even at the 117f charge. I wonder if it is a error that occurs at high temp IF faulty sensor or software and even then only occasionally.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts